Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 04:21:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some help with GIMP please...  (Read 3322 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
GossipGirl.

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:03:59 am »

So I've had GIMP a while and it works fine. When I load it up, I get the usual 2 screens, one that shows the layers and brushes, and one that shows the tools, such as blur, paintbrush and so on. Well, I loaded up GIMP today, and the screen that shows the layers and brushes is gone, and when I click on a tool on the other screen, I don't get information on what brush I'm using, or like how effective I want the blur or smudge or whatever I want to be. How can I get them back to their normal places? Thanks x

Don't look so sad, Little J. The sun will come out tomorrow, even if your boyfriend did today. You know you love me,
XOXO Gossip Girl.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:43:58 am »

hrm - it's been a while since I ran Gimp, are you using the Windows port or the Mac port?

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
GossipGirl.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:00:09 am »

I have Windows. I'm just so confused why I can't get it back, or how to get it back.

Don't look so sad, Little J. The sun will come out tomorrow, even if your boyfriend did today. You know you love me,
XOXO Gossip Girl.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:13:07 am »

ok - look for the windows in "View" - one or more of them may be "turned off"

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
Hidden.Inside

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:13:27 am »

Hmm Why Don't you try redownloading and reinstalling it

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:26:49 am »

ok - they changed it in the newest versions - on the main too pane - click File, then DIalogs, then start clicking :lol:

The Windows version is signifcantly deifferent from the version I use on my SGI machine >_< go figure :lol:

GossipGirl.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:28:09 am »

Okay, I got the layers and brushes back, they're not on the same window. That doesn't really matter, but I still can't get like the effectiveness and stuff I usually did when I clicked on like smudge or blur.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:31:23 am by GossipGirl. » Logged

XOXO Gossip Girl.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:58 am »

Swanny - it seems that every time they "upgrade" Gimp it IMHO gets buggier and less user-friendly

I have been avoiding Gimp the past 2 years for the WIndows system because it will demand I unistall something or will use a different version of GTK than some other open-source software you like.

I know that not everyone can afford Photoshop, but there are other alternatives to Gimp that are free: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=19412 - some of the alternatives to Gimp have better user-reviews than Gimp, they're at least worth a try

GossipGirl.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:45:04 am »

Thanks Beos, and I agree it's not very user-friendly. I'll try some other programs Smiley Thanks again Smiley

XOXO Gossip Girl.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
SIM-o-matic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »

Yea, GIMP is not really user friendly but it didnt take me long to understand, and  thanks to it i have less problems understanding Photoshop (which i found a little harder as i was used to GIMP)

I see you got your brushes and layers dialogs (word? my GIMP is in Spanish) back. To get them in one single window again its just a matter of holding and dragging windows into others: once you have both layers and brushes windows up (when you install GIMP, the Channels window also comes in the window you mention but i rarely used it)  click on the name of any of them and drag it to the other window.

You must click on the window's name that shows up below the tab (for example, in the layers window hold down where it says "Layers" in small letters above the layer mode selection part). Once you drag it to the other window, both will merge into one.

Its a bit confusing, though. If you want both the layers and brushes to show up at the same time (like when GIMP is just installed) then you must drag the window to some tiny bars that are at the top and bottom of the window. If you drag it somewhere else then the windows will join in one, but you will have to click tabs to switch between  layers and brushes.

...GIMP not being user friendly makes it even harder to explain, even I am confused with what i just typed :/ I hope i didnt confuse you alot, i guess images would help to make this clearer (unfortunately, im not home right now so this computer doesnt have GIMP to get some shots :/ )

What does the universe has, waiting for us,
if we ever get to see all that it got?
::smilieiforgetwhi::
Cookies for all!!! :tongue8:
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 12:27:05 pm »

Well done SIM-o-matic, I understood what you said very easily.  Thanks for the advice!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: