Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 10:01:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of Questions????  (Read 1616 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Bev in NY

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:30:28 am »

Hi everyone,

1. If u take out your downloads folder and just put it on your desktop...and then were to reinstall your games...can u just drag and drop the downloads folder back in? or do u have to extract and reinstall everything again?Same questions with the game patches too.

2. if u were playing a family u made and u saved your game a few times....then u decided u didn't want the family anymore and u put them in the bin and delete them...is there still things in folders somewhere in the game still? and if so how do u get rid of it and them?

3. also i remember when i use to play sims 1 it was so much easier to know what everything was in my folders for the game...sims 2 is so confusing to me and i don't know what all the stuff is...infact almost nothing....With sims 1 i had all the expansions just like with sims 2.... but i used to take out stuff i never would use from sims 1 like clothes....hats... now in sims 2 i don't use alot of the clothes and head stuff mostly the costume stuff like the diving suit ect...is there a way to remove them to make the game run better?

well that's all for now folks!!!! thanks in advance anyone who can explain these things to me...:smt120

BEV
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:27:14 am »

1. Yes, you can move the downloads folder back to the new installation, just be sure you got the path right. And no, patches you'll need to install again, it's not a file you can copy and paste. And pay attention to the proper order of installation (basegame, patch, ep1, patch, ep2, patch a.s.o.)

2. Well... in EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods/Nxxx there are folders "lots" and "characters" - but don't ask me what is what! They are all just numbered and the only way to find out about them might be SimPe. But I'd recommend to better not touch anything in those folders. But there are people out there, who know better, maybe one of them knows how to clean out these folders safely.

3. NO. There was a reason why The Sims tended to crash every five minutes. Removing packages from the game is not a good idea and hence Maxis made it impossible this time around. You can only delete your custom content, if you have any. That content is marked with an ansterix and you can safely delete items with an asterix from in game or bodyshop and your downloads folder.

There is no way to make the game run better by trying to thin out game files. I repeat, you can only delete what you've put in your downloads folder. The only way to make the game run better is to buy a better computer, sorry.
You can gain a little performance by defragmenting your harddrive if you've moved around a lot of files (save something here, delete another there and so on). But that's about the it. From my point of view, anyway.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:27:23 am »

Bev, I will try to answer your questions as best I am able.

• Moving or copying the Downloads folder to a secure location (like the desktop) is an easy and safe way to preserve your Downloads during a new install of an EP/SP or during a quick-and-dirty un-install/re-install.

The only concern I have is when you have your documents folder on a different hard drive or hard drive partition than your desktop -- this is a custom arrangement, and you would most surely know if you have done this; in those instances you have to right-click drag-and-drop and use the Move option from the menu that pops up when you release the right-side mouse button at the target location.  If you just normal-click and drag to the desktop in these situations, you have nothing but a short-cut to something that may get deleted during an un-install|re-install or an install gone wrong.

Update patches (assuming you mean the ones you get from EA) are software you install like any programme from an installer; these make changes to things in the game core, not the Downloads folder.

Most mods and hacks are installed in the Downloads folder, so they will be preserved if you move the Downloads folder to the desktop.

Some special game modifications make changes to files in other locations (e.g., Camera mods change files in the Cameras folder) - you will have to take different steps to preserve these.

Some objects -- such as custom modular stairs, custom fireplaces, and custom colour lights -- will usually have a second component that is present in the game's core programme folders, and if these are not preserved, when you restore the Downloads folder, these items will no longer work properly and may crash the game when you attempt to use them.  So additional steps are required to preserve these additional components.

Custom lighting mods are also in the game's core folders.

Even the best of us will usually forget some bit or piece.  So when you are restoring the Downloads folder, restoring it in stages (rather than all in one stroke) is a very wise thing to do.  It is important to remember that you should run the game at least one time with nothing restored before restoring any files; during that first run of the game after any service operation, the game writes a lot of files into the user folders that will cheerfully over-write your Camera mods.

So as you can see it is not a one-size-fits-all answer; it hinges largely on how and to what extent you have modified your game.
  • All Sims that are present in your game (playable or game-controlled) have at least two parts. One is the character file in the neighbourhood's Characters sub-folder:
e.g., My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters

The second part is contained in the ####_neighborhood.package file (there may be additional parts in ####_Suburb### packages) located in the neighbourhood's root folder:

e.g., My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N004

When you delete a Sim or family of Sims, things get unpredictable.  The game stores relationships, memories, want & fears, etc as separate things.  If your deleted Sims have every interacted with people, removing all traces of them may be difficult and maybe dangerous to the stability of the whole neighbourhood.

Opinions vary on this, but my experience is such that I cannot recommend you try to expunge all traces of a delete Sim or Sim family.

So to concisely answer your question: traces are left, but it is unwise to try to remove them.
  • In order to hide certain objects (like hair/hats) you will need to download a game modification that does this; there are several, perhaps if you make a specific WCIF request in that section of the forum someone will remember where these might be located.  I vaguely recall seeing one at MATY, but I can't be certain.

As Wednesday says, it is bad idea genes operating to delete things from the game's core files.

EA's method makes one have to add more things in order to remove things. Sad, ain't it?
[/list]
I hope this addresses all of your questions to your satisfaction.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:35:00 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Bev in NY

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:59:02 am »

Thanks alot ...Wednesday17 and Beosboxboy...Why did i know Beosboxboy that u would definately b one who would answer my questions ?  LOL

BEV
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:03:15 pm »

Bev, are you still working on getting your game straightend out? I did not hear back from you last time I was trying to help out. I hope this is something new you are working on! Smiley -Bill

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: