Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 02:47:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Graphics Card?  (Read 3829 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ThexVillain

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:23:48 pm »

I wasn't really sure where to put this but since its Sims 2 related I guess it would go here. Anyways -- I am thinking about getting a new/better graphics card but the thing is I know like nothing about them. I have no idea what kind I should get or how to install them or anything like that lol.

This is the kind of quality I have right now -

And this is the kind of quality I want to get -

What kind of graphics card do you think I could get for that type of quality, and where could I get it? Also I'm looking for one that isn't too expensive. Thank you SO much if you can help me!

PS - All my Sims 2 picture/graphics settings ARE on high so that is not the case!
ThexVillain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:34:33 pm »

Another thing I noticed is my pics seemed to be worse in quality after I installed BV. This was how it was before BV;

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/thexvillain/snapshot_34002f95_34116241.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/thexvillain/snapshot_34002f95_d41162bd.jpg
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:47:56 am »

Could you please post your whole system specs? Nobody can tell you what card to buy if they don't know what kind of hardware you got. The easiest way for you to do so is as follows:

Click on start -> run and type in dxdiag-> ok.
After it is done with analyzing your computer, click on the middle button at the bottom of that window and save all in a text file. Then attach the text file here and we can have a look, okay?

PS: It's no wonder that with every new EP your graphics are detoriating further. The game needs more and more performance for the new features (weather and lighting do need a lot of resources, for example).

PPS: you can edit your posting to avoid double posts with the 'edit' button under your posting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:53:39 am by Wednesday17 » Logged
ThexVillain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:00:14 pm »

Thank you!

* DxDiag.txt (41.58 KB - downloaded 106 times.)
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:48 pm »

First thing I would suggest is for you upgrade your RAM to at least 1 gig, 2 preferrably. You'll find things run alot smoother with more memory for your computer to access.

As for your graphics, what you have is pretty much bare minimum for the game. They say 64 mb is good enough, but in my opinion, anything less than a card with 256 mb won't give you a good result.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
ThexVillain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:07 pm »

How do I upgrade my RAM?

And so your saying I should get like a 256 MB graphics card? Where could I find that? Thanks!

Sorry, lol. I'm slightly retarded when it comes to these kinds of things.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:24:18 pm by ThexVillain » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

If you're not at all computer savvy, then I would try talking to someone who is about doing it for you. RAM is one of the easier things to change in a computer. You just have to make sure to get the right type for your motherboard. Like I said, if you're not familiar with computers, I'd get someone else to do it, or you could contact Dell directly about upgrading your computer's ram and graphics.

Graphic cards can be bought anywhere that sells computer parts. Most people choose from either ATI or Nvidia, so that may be a place to start.

jase439

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:00:19 pm »

I have the 512MB version of this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102093

This card will give you top-shelf performance (but you'll need to get your system RAM up to 1GB or higher as suggested to realize the benefit).  There are even higher end video cards out there but you're going to pay out the nose for very little benefit in The Sims 2.

I would definitely second the suggestion that you have a professional service your computer if you are unfamiliar with computer hardware.  Tell them what video card you want and that you want to upgrade your RAM to 1GB.  It's a 30 min job (on a bad day), so don't let anyone sell you up the river by telling you it will take "a couple hours" to install.  It really is as simple as unscrewing the case, pulling out the old hardware, slapping in the new, attaching the case, and installing the correct operating system drivers.  If you have any computer savvy friends, you might consider soliciting their help.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:05:40 pm by jase439 » Logged

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
ThexVillain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »

By RAM do you mean Disk Space or Virtual Memory? Or something completely different lol...

And thank you! You are extremely helpful Smiley
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:15:27 pm by ThexVillain » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:44:33 pm »

Disk space is the hard drive. Memory is the ram. Smiley

ThexVillain

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:46:33 pm »

Okay thank you!
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:30:36 pm »

BTW, most professional techs do have a 30 day warranty on their work, so if they screw it up,  you can bring it back to be fine-tuned.
They will probably test run it a few times to make sure the install does work, as that is the only way they'll know if it was properly done-but it shouldn't take more than a hour tops to do it.

Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:40:09 pm »

jase429, I have the exact same card (the 512MB) and I'm trying to get rid of it... (never ever again ATI)

Just a couple of days ago a new NVidia card was released: the GeForce 8800GT, which has very nearly the same performance than the still high priced 8800GTX, but approximately the price of the 8800GTS, which has not half the performance. I already ordered it, but currently everybody wants it and it's sold out everywhere.

BUT. It is still a pricey card and it is PCIe and I didn't find any info what kind of slot you have on your motherboard, ThexVillain, the graphics you use now are on board and you'd need an AGP or PCIe slot.

I agree with everyone else, go to Dell or whoever usually takes care of your computer and tell them what you need (RAM and graphics). Because no offence, but I doubt that you would be able to determine what kind of hardware goes on your motherboard and install it.

Good luck with it and maybe you'll share your decision with us afterwards. Smiley
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 06:12:16 pm »

Regarding the ATI/Nvidea debate, go with what you like. Everyone has differing experiences. Me, I've never had problems with ATI, but the Nvidia card on my laptop is a pain in my tukuss. I have a friend who'll tell you the opposite, and she's therefore a huge Nvidia fan.

As for the slots on your motherboard, AGP is quickly being phased out. Most video cards on the market will either be PCI or PCIe. You can't get a new computer with AGP slots these days.  If this is all confusing to you I wouldn't worry about it. The slots on your motherboard just determine what card you can get. Whoever fixes up your machine for you will know what to look for.

ktggoodnight

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 05:25:25 am »

this thread has been so helpful- i plan to upgrade aswell-

thanks all you guys

I am a Jerry Springer/Nip Tuck God in my sims world.
[/COLOR]
Is your sim starring in it?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: