Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 08:21:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: why no fighting  (Read 6278 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
liverbird

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »

Why are pregnant sims unable to slap etc obviously not attack another sim when they are enemies with them or have a low enough relationship which would usually have the fight action in their menu as this does not happen with my pregnant sim she caught her partner with another sim which resulted in them breaking up & both their relations dropped to -100 & enemies but no fight menu...  They are able to slap the cheating partner when they are first caught but not after...  Why is this...

Signature images may not be larger than 250 x 50. Keep them restricted to this size or smaller.
erica_jean698

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:07:30 pm »

In theory pregnant women are fragile beings and wouldn't want to endanger their unborn child by being punched while rolling on the ground.

(1st) Picture Perfect (2nd) The Amazing Race (3rd) Model Swap
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 01:37:08 pm »

In theory nothing, that's exactly why the menu's not there. Not that pregnant women are fragile, but the unborn baby certainly is - the only safe period of pregnancy is the second trimester, and even then hot tubs and changing cat litter are big no-nos. Same reason you have to wear a seatbelt a certain way when you're bigger - above and below the bump, otherwise damage can and has been caused in the event of an accident.

No requests please
erica_jean698

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:02 pm »

Well spoken Sadie!  Cheesy

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:35:01 pm »

Sadie, you are right and wrong at the same time.  Right about real life, wrong about why it isn't in the game. The interactions are not in the game for the same reason babies and toddlers are fire proof. The same reason there are no children in many "adventure" or violent games like Vice City.  It isn't in the game because EA is a pack of cowards directed by lawyers who don't want to catch Hell from some Christian right-winger organisation about them advocating beating women, killing babies, or promoting domestic violence.  I will point out that the same developers that won't let us have a pregnant woman smack her cheating husband are the same ones that added sattelites falling from the sky, spontaneous human combustion, and running with scissors as ways for your sim to die... none of which is particularly realistic.

It was not out of any sort of service to realism or decency, it was ball-less cowardice.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 03:31:53 pm »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1024757
It isn't in the game because EA is a pack of cowards directed by lawyers who don't want to catch Hell from some Christian right-winger organisation about them advocating beating women, killing babies, or promoting domestic violence.  I will point out that the same developers that won't let us have a pregnant woman smack her cheating husband are the same ones that added sattelites falling from the sky, spontaneous human combustion, and running with scissors as ways for your sim to die... none of which is particularly realistic.

It was not out of any sort of service to realism or decency, it was ball-less cowardice.

It's the same with every game company. Take Bethesda with Morrowind or Oblivion, take any other game company, take Molyneux's "the movies". No children.

The problem runs deeper than general cowardice. The problem is the USA being the biggest market and every company has to suck up to the bizarre rules and lobbies of that particular country. Best example would be the Vice City scandal around the hot coffee mod. And that in a game, tailor made to shoot, knife or club your way to the top.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 03:36:30 pm by abaris » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:14:58 pm »

Too true, abaris, one good example is Temple of Elemental Evil; in addition to obvious coding bugs, there a wide range of problems caused by one of the stupidest publishing decisions in the history of computer games. Shortly before the game’s release, Hasbro, the owner of the Wizards of the Coast who holds the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons license demanded that the game’s rating is changed from Mature to Teen; even though Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as published by Hasbro (and earlier publishers) has been under fire from the Christian right for as long as I can remember as satanic and violent. Caving to Hasbro's demands was inevitable, and Troika Games removed all children, foul language and several objectionable objects, such as a brothel. However, Troika Games didn’t have the time to remove conversation paths and quests linked to the removed features, the removal of these things had already pushed the game far over budget. This caused several quests to be broken and many dialogues that make no sense are still in the game.

The thing was a fiasco.  It is as stupid as everything else in the USA when it comes to these matters.  You can't see sex in a game, but you can shoot hell-spawn zombies whose heads explode into a mass of tentacles with razor-sharp barbs on the end; you can't have children die, but you can have alien butt probes; you can't have a Sim breast-fee a baby, but you can watch a slow motion volley ball game played by women in skin-tight bikinis; you can't gay "marriage" in a game, but you can have a woman in a bloody wedding dress with a machine gun take out a sniper's nest.

The day the USA gets over itself and realises its own hypocrisy will be a happy day.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:29:23 pm »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1024854

The day the USA gets over itself and realises its own hypocrisy will be a happy day.

That won't happen, since the USA haven't the collective European memory of bombs and shells raining down on most every village. So they won't change their bizarre stance of violence or nationalism being something positive as opposed to sex. Same goes for religion. The American christian lobbies would be a laughing stock in the largest part of Europe, if they had a try at selling their wisdom here.

But that works both ways. Because of that particular colloective memory, many European politicians have a peculiar stance about video games being too violent. I remember vividly the debates after a German school shooting where the shooter was playing counter strike prior to the attack. That was used as a pretext to ride a general attack on computer games and what they are doing to the mindset of children - without taking into consideration, that that guy was well off age and not a child.

Problem is, that politicians are all too eager to jump into debates they don't know shit about as long as some populistic stance promises to buy some more votes.

Either way. Regualations like these are rendering all the talk about freedom of speech and freedom of expression into a joke.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 01:03:10 am »

Well stated, abaris, this too is true.  I cannot disagree on any point.  The trend from freedom to do things is being replaced by freedom from things.  I don't know if it is some effect of nostalgia or romance, but I remember a time, not so long ago, when it wasn't so bad as it is now. I was younger then, maybe I was simply naive.

lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 01:56:35 am »

Maybe some of these points could be applied in real life. When my uncle was dating 2 women at the same time and got them both pregnant, they were fighting over him. It was a sad sight. Don't want to see that in my game. Tongue
This game is sort of a relief from real life. Cheesy

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 04:19:04 am »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1025458
I don't know if it is some effect of nostalgia or romance, but I remember a time, not so long ago, when it wasn't so bad as it is now. I was younger then, maybe I was simply naive.

I think, the problem runs deeper than that. For once, game companies have their publishers breathing down their necks and so they're throwing out public betas instead of finished games. Also they're producing what I like to call throw away games, meaning, that there's no interest in supporting mods. The consumer shall get bored pretty fast, so that he's already eager for the next half finished game being advertised.

And that's what your nostalgia seems to be about. Some years ago, the companies were helping the modders gladly and saw them as an additional marketing tool for their product. Nowadays, and partly because of the hot coffee mod, modders are frowned upon. There's no interest to create a game with any longevity. And there's no interest in supporting a group, that can't be controled by the company.

Hence the moddign ban for Molyneux's the movies. It was a typical Molyneux product with big promises, that never got fulfilled. But it could have been a great game, when modders would have taken over. Which of course never happened, because of the ban and some legal threats in their direction.
Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 08:44:22 am »

Quote from: lewisb40;1025503
Maybe some of these points could be applied in real life. When my uncle was dating 2 women at the same time and got them both pregnant, they were fighting over him. It was a sad sight. Don't want to see that in my game. Tongue
This game is sort of a relief from real life. Cheesy

games are ment to be fun not for fighting

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 03:44:19 pm »

Pierreandreply have you never heard of Doom? Halo? Tribes? Everquest? World of Warcraft?

erica_jean698

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »

I suggest everyone here try out Bioshock.  Not only is it a great game, but it forces some interesting moral choices.

Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 03:57:26 pm »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1026150
Pierreandreply have you never heard of Doom? Halo? Tribes? Everquest? World of Warcraft?

i do not know these games and i will never buy those games the only game a like are the sims sims2 roman of the three kingdoms dune final fantasy i will never buy games that are violant.

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: