Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 02:14:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Story Help and Advice Needed--RESOLVED  (Read 5611 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
bamrd

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:58:14 pm »

Hey all, I have a few questions.
Number one:
Would anyone like to read a sim-story about a teenage girl who finds a medieval-fantasy world and has to protect it from the evil Marotzi?
Number two:
I have most of the characters up and ready so I have quick question of what would be considered nudity.
I have two body meshes (harpy, satyr) that don’t have anything covering the adult female chest. I have chosen hairstyles that cover the breasts but I was wondering if that would still be nudity.
Also on that topic, three of the body meshes (harpy, satyr, mermaid) don’t have any cover for the female child’s breasts. I can cover that area with a hairstyle too, but I was wondering if that is still counted as nudity since it is a child.
And will that be the same for toddlers?
I can post pictures if that is needed.
Thanks you for all the help!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:16:46 pm by bamrd » Logged
vickylougrl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:51:04 am »

your story sounds very interesting I would read it I love fantasy.  I think pics have to be pg13 so to speak I think that if you could maybe hide the chest with long flowing hair or angles it would not be considered innapropriate.  But you should read the pinned area of the stories to make sure.

Coptic Text
Now, when you come under their power, one of them who is the overseer will say to you: "Who are you, and where are you from?"

You are then to say to him, "I am a child of humanity and I am from the Source."
bamrd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:59:36 pm »

Thank you for responding I will look into that and see what I can do. Hopefully it works out in the end.
bamrd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:13:58 pm »

Okay, I asked a Moderator-Missdoh-and this is the response she gave me:

I think kids are ok without needing to cover breast with hair but if you want to be totally on the safe side, you can do that. Teen and up you have no choice. Hair is enough coverage, the important thing is that no nipple is seen for teen female and older.
You can, btw, show the back of a sim without the need to cover it in any way no matter what age it is.

Missdoh

--------
I figured that there had to be someone else out there who has the same questions about nudity and story telling so here is the answer.

EDIT: Oops! I forgot to say thank you to Missdoh! So... Thank you for responding to me quickly and thank you for the good info. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:06:58 pm by bamrd » Logged
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:27:12 pm »

I think this sounds like an awesome idea for a story.  I love fantasy!

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:21:49 pm »

When I read this that was going to be pretty much the response I was going to give, base on my experience in participating in the contests here. Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 08:35:54 am »

I'm so sorry for this, but as a fantasy writer myself, this is what I can say to you.

Your teenage girl - medieval world - evil marotzi
Harry Potter - wizarding world - voldemort
The Pevensi Children - Narnia - the white witch
There's also The Seeker, but I don't know anything about it

See what I mean?

Advice though. You're idea's okay, because many people have done it already yet the readers still like it. But for them to LOVE it. Give a twist. There could be a war (which is what I do in my story, along with other twists), or some others. Or instead of making your protagonist a girl, why not make it a homosexual (also what I did in mine, and I have nothing bad against homos, i have many gay friends...)? You're writing a fantasy story. You're the goddess. You're in control. The possibilities are endless, as long as you have an open mind.

Hope I helped!

gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:28:01 am »

You could also look at many manga/comic/anime/movie storylines with the same theme to see what works and what doesn't.

Actually, when you mentioned your idea, the first thing that came to my mind was Inuyasha. I really enjoyed this series, but there were some flaws in it.  Here are some observations based on that anime and others with this theme about what worked and what didn't:

DON'T just have battle after battle. Make this girl YOUR character, as cypherathos suggested. The "fish out of water" angle is a good way to inject humor and/or drama into a story, and flesh out the character. She's thrust into a medieval-like world. What would she find abhorrent there, and what might she find appealing? Do a bit of research into this kind of culture, and then have fun with it!

DON'T just leave the story hanging at the end. Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Drama/Romance ... UGH, I find it an incredibly annoying turnoff.

BUT ... here is where I'm going to sound contradictory. If you choose not to tie up all the loose ends, throw us a bone and tie up just enough of them, leaving us with a tantalizing tidbit to mull on for the future. Although this doesn't exactly fit the teenage girl/save the world theme, I thought that the ending of Samuari Champloo was great. I won't give it away, but the author made all the right moves ... resolved it enough to satisfy the viewer, but left a door or two open just in case. And it seems like I wasn't the only one who thought so. In an anime magazine, that ending was listed among the best ones, in the editors' opinion.

DO continue, whether you get tons of readers or not. It takes a while for readers to get into a story, particularly a new storywriter's story. Don't be discouraged, and if you get the occasional boor who decides to put you down, don't listen to him or her, This story is inside you. Write it.

Good luck!
bamrd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:38 pm »

Thank you all for the suggestions. Wow, i didn't think anybody still read this...

Cypherathos, there are many twists and turns in the story line. I just didn't want to say too much because it might give too much away...But yeah, the main character I've been working on for ages (about 3 years) and i really hope the story is original with all i have put into it. However, the disadvantage of working on something for years but never writing it out is the fact that it gets so much like a grand-story that you keep wanting to change things, fix certain things (i.e. up until a few weeks ago I didn't realize that my main character was a total Mary-Sue and so i toned down her whole image so that she'd be believable) or have somethings so confusing that you can't write them down right at all. The main character is my 'baby' seeing as how she's where it all started. So, i have to say that the story might never be written or, if it is, it won't be a sims-story cuz I'm terrible at pictures and they just take too long for me. I suppose that, down the line, if i do write it all out, I might be able to find some wonderful person on a Sims 2 site that would get the pics for me if i do everything else.

Gazania, don't worry, when i write things out, i write the whole thing before posting anything because 1) i have a very short attention span 2) i hate it when people don't update in months because of running out of ideas and 3) i never want to be the kind of author who randomly says 'No one is reading my story!!!! I want to threaten to take it down so that you will comment on it!'   I know that if you have a story you need to stick with it 'till the end or else you get a bad rep with your stories and you never get comments.        

The story line has been altered a whole bunch too and i don't really know which way is the best way to tell the story to the public...but that is a whole other problem that i will deal with on my own.

So sorry if anybody was hoping for the story... That's another reason why didn't give too much detail. I wanted to be able to back out if i needed to without people wanting to know what happens... And it's why i rarely ever announce things I'm writing ahead of time (this was the first and pretty much the only time i have ever done that).      

Thanks for all the tips and such, I'm still not sure if it will be out before Sims 3 (which I'm not getting for my own personal reasons) but if it is, i will see if i can get it out in a sims-story (as unlikely as it is...)

Thanks again for the advice!
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:17 am »

Wow. We actually are alike. I've been working with mine for two years now. I've finally written it (first book, its supposed to be a trilogy, chapter one is in anecdote assistance), but I really feel that there's still something I could add to it.

And please, if you ever did manage to write it, I want to read it. I'm a fantasy lover. (I am god of my own world).... Or you can tell me something about it, we may be able to help each other!

bamrd

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:47 pm »

Quote from: cypherathos;1248492
.... Or you can tell me something about it, we may be able to help each other!

I would really like to talk to someone other than my beta-and-brother about the whole story and everything! If you can keep a few secrets I'd love to PM you about the whole thing and see if i can get it down on paper. You can bounce ideas off of me too. Who knows, we may end up helping each other out with the stories we want to write? You can ALWAYS decline if you want...it was just an idea...
bamrd

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:20:24 pm »

Thank you all who have helped me with this. I really appreciate your help! I will not be needing help anymore seeing as both my original-and some other questions-have been answered. Thanks to all of you, again, i really appreciate it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: