Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:50:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Smythes - Instant Neighbors  (Read 9134 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:04:34 pm »

The Smythes
Instant Neighbors

The Smythes are a very happy, well-adjusted family.

Harold Smythe graduated with a degree in economics and is now a junior executive in his company.  His wife Betty has a degree in art but hasn't pursued a career yet; she has been too busy raising their three children!

They live in a large upper middle class home.
It's an occupied, mostly furnished 3x3 lot that you can plunk down in your neighborhood.

Befitting Harold's income, they have a rather large upper middle class house.  Four bedrooms, four baths, one-car garage.

What This Is

It's an occupied lot made entirely with Maxian content.  I used some half walls so I think you'll need Open For Business installed to make the whole thing work, though if you use Clean Installer it should still work with any version of The Sims 2.

The house is mostly furnished.  At least there's a bed for everybody.

The house is occupied by a family of five, all of whom are wearing Maxian clothes.  The clothes might be from the original game, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Family Fun Stuff, or Glamour Life Stuff.

The download includes only the lot segment and the family.  All the outfitting and stuff should be pulled in from your existing game.

Where It Came From

The question came up on the adult site whether it might be possible to build lots with some nice neighbors to help populate a new, empty neighborhood.  This was my first experiment with doing that.  A few folks have already play-tested it and report that it works, so here we are! Cheesy

You can drop this household into your game and never even play them if you're not so inclined.  They'll provide some nice, well-adjusted folks to walk by your house and befriend your sims and their childen.

What I Did

I created the family in a completely empty neighborhood.  None of the Smythes has ever met anyone outside their household, though all of them have seen the papergirl.  That's important because it means they won't have memories that clutter up your neighborhood with "unknown" sims.

I used the Insimenator to tune up the characters' personalities and give them a reasonable set of skills.

I tried to be careful to build the house exclusively with Maxis content, but it still didn't work as I had hoped.  I am now convinced that the only totally safe way to build a house and avoid including custom content is to have a separate, "building" version of the game with zero non-Maxis content.

After building their house and partially furnishing it, I exported the lot.  Then I used Clean Installer to eliminate everything in the exported file except for the lot segment, the characters, and a catalog filenamed "Smythe."  (I don't know what's in the catalog but I figured it couldn't do much harm.  Apparently it doesn't.  It might be their clothing chest.)

What's In The Zip

The zip file attached below contains a .Sims2Pack file with the lot segment, the characters, and the "Smythe" catalog (whatever that is).

If you install the lot, and if you have all the same expansion packs that I do, everything will fall into place.  The characters should be dressed the way they're shown here and they should have the appropriate family relationships, skills, personalities, and everything else.  And they shouldn't cause any "unknown" sims to show up in your neighborhood.

Expansion Packs

I have installed all the expansion packs and stuff packs up through Open For Business, and nothing after that.  

----------
Downloaded for personal use only.  If you upload this lot to the EA Exhange or some other wretched place, your great-great-great grandmother will rise from her grave to slap you silly.

* psfamily_the_smythes.zip (2689.72 KB - downloaded 460 times.)

* smythe_0001_the_smythes.jpg (77.06 KB, 512x384 - viewed 357 times.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:09:23 pm by Chairman Greg » Logged

lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:08 pm »

That is a sweet idea, Chairman Greg. Thanks for sharing.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
kim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:19 am »

Nice Job

Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:24:54 am »

You're welcome, Lewis!

I'm curious about whether this works for everyone.  They ought to come into your game with their relationships and personalities intact, but the proof is in the game play. Cheesy

J00wish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:54:06 pm »

Yay! I had tested it (from the Adult site) and they worked wonderfully. They came over, played with the dog and visited while making friends. No glitches to date!

"Cant sleep... Clown will eat me." -- Bart Simpson  

SarahsALoser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:04:03 pm »

aren't occupied lots supposed to seriously bork your game?

Oh. I'm sorry! Is all this 'hunting evil' stuff boring you?
Winner of Make Over Challenge: Penelope Stevens.
Check out my Legacy Story over on LJ Here!
mamxnb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:58:43 am »

i download it. the family and house look really nice i want to try it too.  good thing i have ofb. thanks for uploading
HermioneG

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:09 am »

Quote from: lewisb40;1027772
That is a sweet idea, Chairman Greg. Thanks for sharing.

I agree! I'll try it. Thanks!

By the pricking of my thumbs,
something wicked this way comes...
Must be true,
because the translation of my last name means "evil"
amc462000
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:46:35 am »

this is a good idea. I will try them out too.
Grandmarmalade

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50:33 am »

Oh Excellent Idea
I like their look, simple ordinary folks.
I like the idea of having plopable neighbors.
I like the house. Its large and roomy and simple yet looks playable.

Thank you very much, I will be trying this in my game today.
Grannysims

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 06:18:34 pm »

Thank you....they look great and I'm going to try them too.  My PV could use some new blood Smiley
Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Quote from: SarahsALoser;1028738
aren't occupied lots supposed to seriously bork your game?

Yes, although the hazard is often absurdly over-dramatized.  The issue with occupied lots is that if the sims have memories of other sims in their original neighborhood, that will create a lot of "Unknown" sims in your neighborhood.  Lots and lots of "Unknown" sims can lead to problems like having scripts time out; your sims may find that they can't use the telephone.

This is an experiment with fixing that problem.  These sims were created in a neighborhood that had no other sims and have never met anyone outside their immediate family.  (Though all of them saw the papergirl as she walked by.)

The greater danger is installed any lot--occupied or not--that contains anything other than the lot segment.  Do use Clean Installer when installing any new lot in your game.  If there's anything besides the lot segment (or in this case, a family who you know have never met anyone), then while you are in Clean Installer, select only the lot segment to be installed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:12:56 pm by Chairman Greg » Logged

Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 08:28:56 pm »

Quote from: J00wish;1028475
Yay! I had tested it (from the Adult site) and they worked wonderfully. They came over, played with the dog and visited while making friends. No glitches to date!

Thanks again, J00wish!  Cheesy

And thanks to everyone else who is play-testing this one!

J00wish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Greg;1029819
The greater danger is installed any lot--occupied or not--that contains anything other than the lot segment.  Do use Clean Installer when any new lot in your game.  If there's anything besides the lot segment (or in this case, a family who you know have never met anyone), then while you are in Clean Installer, select only the lot segment to be installed.

And by *anything* you mean.... Custom content, etc...? For someone still learning on what to look for can you give some examples? Also... If I wanted to create my own (and you know I do) Wink what are some great tips? Are there any custom content that is okay (such as Custom Sims, etc...)?

Quote from: Chairman Greg;1029823
Thanks again, J00wish!  Cheesy

And thanks to everyone else who is play-testing this one!

Yay for praise! *does the Rocky dance in Gothplague's sexy new heels and falls down the steps*

"Cant sleep... Clown will eat me." -- Bart Simpson  

pink_cherry105

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 03:23:19 am »

Nice job thank you.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: