Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 09:37:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What Kind of Computer you run sims2 on?  (Read 9546 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
sesimie

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Hello all :hello2:

I've been wondering for some time what kinds of Computer systems you folks use to run Sims2.
Why? well I've noticed that meshes can affect a computers performance especially when lotsa polygons are used!! :h3lp:
So kindly Creators tend to be "user friendly" and keep polygons lower than they can possibly be. This is to be commended. But Having seen (& sold) computers for the last 5 years I'm thinking that the specifications on Today's PC/Macs are sufficient to tackle most if not all the wondrous meshes that are out there.... ( i could be wrong):tongue6:
I want Creators to use more polygons.....so I'll simply ask all who read kindly post your computer specs. Mine are like this.

approx. Age of system = 4 years
CPU speed = 1.8Ghz
amount of memory = 1 Gb
Video card = 6800 (nvidia)
able to play sims2 with all my excellent custom content enabled = Yes....no problem game loads longer than it used to.

For folks who don't know how to find out CPU speed or type of video card simply go to your control panel/settings panel and look for system, also device manager. or use belarc advisor ( free PC audit tool)

Sorry it's been years since i've used a Mac.....

I hope Meshers/creators can gauge from this when releasing their wondrous creations. keep on meshing!! :salute:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:31:49 pm by sesimie » Logged

“Wait for the sign,To flick the switch of death,It's the beginning of the end......Sweat, chilling cold, As I watch death unfold,Consciousness my only friend” -Ride The Lightning by MetallicA
~Aussie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:34:40 pm »

I got pretty much the same as you, this is my third PC I built.

System age = 1.5 years
CPU speed = 2.2 Ghz
amount of memory = 1 Gb
Video card = 6600 (nvidia)

Saving up some money to build my fourth PC Tongue

Love to get a Mac, but they are over priced and there aren't much software available.

See my other uploads at Sim Oasis
sesimie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:45 pm »

Hey Aussiebun!!  you forgot to say if you can with play all your favourite custom content!!:old:

“Wait for the sign,To flick the switch of death,It's the beginning of the end......Sweat, chilling cold, As I watch death unfold,Consciousness my only friend” -Ride The Lightning by MetallicA
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:41:09 pm »

I play on a laptop. It actually plays the game well I think. My desktop computer has too little RAM to handle the game

System age: 1.5 years
CPU speed: 1.66 Ghz
Amount of memory: 512 MB
Video card: Integrated graphics with laptop.

I can play with all my custom content, as long as I keep on a medium size lot and watch the amount of polygons in furniture.

~Aussie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:46:55 pm »

I have no problem playing it with my PC, but sometime it lags a bit, especially when scrolling. I don't know whether it is do with the custom contents (mesh) or it is just my PC. But it is tolerable..

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:50:04 pm »

"Crappy" ol' (new) laptop.  :lol:

Type:  Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505
Video Card:  ATI Mobility Radeon X1300  (Which is dying slowly... but quickly enough to get on my nerves. :x )
CPU Speed:  1.6GHz
Physical RAM:  2GB  (This does absolutely NO justice to speed for some reason... :crybaby:)

Compared to my old PC (Compaq Presario AMD Athon XP 2800+),  this thing is a lot slower than what I'm used to.  At least the laptop has a better graphics card than the PC.  :angel:

As for CC, it depends.  If I even build an actual house with furniture in it, I'll get random "blue refresh screens" and an occasional glitch-up with graphics.  God forbid if the house is above one story... I can't even enjoy playing the game like I used to.  I miss the good ol' days... :?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:54:39 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

~Aussie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 09:52:33 pm »

OMG :lol: I can't believe people are playing this game with their laptops. It must be lagging like hell

Tenshii, your poor laptop Tongue

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

It actually runs pretty well animation wise... not too choppy at all unless I'm on extremely huge lots, but it's definitely not savvy for any type of movie making or anything.  For those with high-end PCs... think of my normal speed as fast as the "slowmotion 1 (or 2)" cheat on your normal lots.  Sad

The only few reasons I got the laptop:

1.)  Because my old one's screen was so dim, I might as well had been typing with my eyes shut.  

2.)  My old one's earphone plug broke, disabling me from hearing any sound externally or internally.  :smt120

3.)  So that I could actually play Sims 2 on the go, and not be bored on overnight trips with the band.  Can't take the home PC, now can I?  :tongue3:  (I refuse to have their sort of fun.  Sometimes, it ends up being illegal activities I wish to stay very far away from.  :lol:)

Otherwise, I would've begged for a gaming PC instead.  :smile bi:  Too bad I'm broke now.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:28:39 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

maniac19642003
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:19 pm »

I'm running on:

Dell Dimension E510, Win XP.
Intel Pentium D 2.66GHz.
Memory: 1022MB Ram
Video card: ATI Radeon X600

Seems to work pretty well on this system.
sesimie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:32:48 pm »

i expect to see alot of "non-gaming" PC's in this post....

Remember that sims 2 was released in 2004 so theoretically 2 year old systems should be able to run the base game smoothly provided they meet the minimum requirements.

(taken from wikipedia)
Minimum requirements

Mac OS X

* CPU: 1.2 GHz PowerPC G4/G5
    * RAM: 256 MB
    * Disc Drive: DVD drive
    * HDD: 3 GB free space
    * Video: 32 MB ATI Radeon 9000/nVidia GeForce FX5200

Microsoft Windows

* CPU: 800 MHz
    * RAM: 256 MB
    * Disc Drive: 8x CD-ROM/DVD drive
    * HDD: 3.5 GB free space
    * Video: 32 MB DirectX 9.0 and T&L compatible
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0 compatible

Simplistic69

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 12:34:11 am »

Hi. I build computers for a living, both office and gaming types. I have two computers that run Sims 2, my son's and mine.

My son's is essentially my old computer in a new case:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
1Gb ram
ATI 9800 XT w/128mb
WD Raptor 74Gb 10,00rpm SATA drive
Maxtor 80Gb SATA drive
Kingwin Aluminium Case (Looks Mac G5-ish)

Mine:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (overclocked from 2.4 to 2.8Ghz)
4Gb Ram
EVGA Nvidia 8800 GT
WD Raptor 150Gb 10,00rpm SATA drive
WD Raptor 74Gb 10,00rpm SATA drive
WD Caviar 500Gb SATA Drive
Lian Li PC6895 custom aluminum case

My son's system works fine on his 19" LCD screen (1280x1024) as long as we set the view distances to something less than max, and we don't put too many trees or other detailed objects around.

I turn everything all the way up on a 24" LCD @ 1920x1200 resolution. I have had no lag or stuttering, but it also runs Bioshock flawlessly.

Unfortunately I don't get to play too often, and then have to divide my time between FPS games and Sims 2.
Chopperchic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:14:33 am »

This is a great idea. I think it depends on what you like a fast game or a pretty game or can have the luxury of both.

I retired my desktop. It was built for TS1.
We move around alot. So its better for me to have a laptop. 7 times in the last 19 years. 3 citys in 2 Countries other than the US and 5 cities in 4 states in the US. That counts my hometown. I would be without a desktop computer for months if I had to wait for the movers.

I have 2 laptops I can use.
My old Laptop Specs
HP 1.8Gig AMD (I am thinking Athlon) 15inch LCD 500mg ram  x300ATI Radeon 40gig Hard drive Windows XP
Its good with smaller lots and a smaller downloads folder. It works decent but loading a big game is slow and graphics could be better. I started playing TS2 with this laptop.

My new Laptop Specs
HP nx9600 3.6 Gig P4HT 17inch LCD 1Gig Ram x600ATI Radeon (Can't win them all) 120Gig HD Windows XP Professional. I settled on this one. It runs the game wonderful, game load time is not a factor. The graphics detail is much better than my old laptop flawless for a laptop. I feel it was a good buy for a laptop at under 800USD. Oh I have a game folder sized 6 Gigs
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:27:19 am by Chopperchic » Logged
unheardwisdom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 07:36:32 am »

Age- Err 8 months maybe
CPU speed - so can't find that... lol
amount of memory - 893 MB
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Microsoft Vista Home Premium (stupid vista...)
Sims runs fine slow loading from the ton of custom content but otherwise big lots and all run fine

This world is a cruel place, and we're here only to lose so before life tears us apart let
death bless me with you.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:07:21 am »

Intel Core Duo E 6700 on Asus P5B Motherboard
2 Gigs Ram
Geforce 8800 GTX 640 MB Ram
Ferdrya747

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 07:07:09 pm »

approx. Age of system = less that 1 year, probably about 6 months or so
CPU speed = 1.60 GHz
amount of memory = 958 MB
Video card = NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150
The computer is a personal laptop. Custom content works fine for the most part. There have been issues with stuff not showing up, not unzipping etc. but that has nothing to do with the computer per se. Game loads a little slower than usual, sometimes quite slow depending on amount of CC and wether it's compatible with EP's.

New account --> 2*B~Weird
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: