Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 02:43:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game not loading  (Read 2637 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Shreix60

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:02:41 pm »

..So.. After I fixed the body shop problem, I have a new one. I know that I am under teh file limit, because bdoy shop works fine. I can not get the game to load at all, it will start and freeze in the dock before it even starts to load. I have went through my downloads and gotten rid of any file i thought might be causing this, it is becoming a re-occuring problem, before I could fix it by deleting afew files that I didn't need, now it won't start up even if the folder is empty. I have tried ejecting and restarting the mac. I don't really know what to do. I only have one hack which is the Insim (btw, does the insim have any set hack for Seasons, I can't seem to figure it out..) I haven't downloaded any lots at all. I have deleted the cache file and that didn't help at all. Any ideas as to what I should do? One time I accidently removed a file, and I found it on the dekstop, how can I make sure that all my files are were they need to be for the game to load, but a I'm not sure if that happened this time, the game will sometimes load.

Now that I got it to load it is crashing when I go into a Maxis lot, it is the Roth family from Riverblossom.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:51:07 pm by Shreix60 » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:46:27 am »

Shreix - I will attach an image of my game save folders that may help

Each of the folders contains information that is or may be used by the game, names of folders in RED should never be deleted, names of folders in BLUE may be safely deleted, even the ones in RED are safe to delete but you will lose personalised content and settings if you do:

Cameras - contains files that control how the in-game cameras operate, defining how close you can zoom, etc. Custom camera mods go here.  The files in this folder are all raw text file with a PC-Windows line-feed-carriage-return format.

Collections - contains collection "folder" files - these are not really folders.  There is some not-very-well understood relation between these files and the in-game visual catalogue.

Config - contains files that include user cheat files and run-settings.

• Broadcast.ini is a setting file in PC-Windows line-feed-carriage-return raw text format that contains information about how things display on the TVs in-game
  • userProps.xml is a record of your in-game settings and the neighbourhoods you have visited and whether or not that neighbourhood has been altered to accommodate the EP content.
  • userStartup.cheat is a raw text file with a PC-Windows line-feed-carriage-return format that contains custom cheat "shortcuts" that you create.
  • VideoCapture.ini is a setting file in PC-Windows line-feed-carriage-return raw text format that contains information for ssettings to do in-game movie captures
Downloads - the end-all-be-all repository of most all custom content and mods.

Logs - contains files that detail problems and may assist a technician in determining a problem - these files can be deleted without damage to the game

LotCatalog - contains pre-made, downloaded, and user made lots that have not been placed in the neighbourhood

Movies - storage for custom movies shown in games and on tvs

Music - storage for custom music files, each EP seems to add one or more music categories as subfolders

Neighbourhoods - all save data for the played neighbourhoods is saved here, the basic folder names are:

• G001 - Riverblossom (Seasons EP only)
  • N001 - Pleasantview
  • N002 - Strangetown
  • N003 - Veronaville

Additional user added neighbourhoods will be numbered sequentially N004, N005, N006, etc. Each neighbourhood will contain a folder for:

• Characters - sim faces and some basic DNA/Wardrobe info
  • Lots - lots that have been placed in the neighbourhood
  • Storytelling - contains image files made with the in-game camera on residential lots.   Each image has a full sized image and a corresponding thumbnail image, always make sure to delete both.  There are reports that a large number of storytelling images will crash the game.
  • Thumbnails - self-explanatory

In cases of a catastrophic issue, you can delete the Neighborhoods folder completely and the game will copy the "known good" copies of the "never been played" neighbourhoods into the user folder on the next run.

PackageLots - contains Sims2Pack files of lots you export while in-game

Paintings (added by Pets and later EPs - not shown since I have not installed Pets or Seasons EP) - contains image files for custom paintings.

Projects - contains "in-progress" files used only by Body Shop - this folder can and should be deleted regularly

SavedSims (not shown since I have not made any Sims with Body Shop) - all completed Body Shop projects (e.g., skin tones, eye colours, clothing recolours, whole sims, etc) are saved here

SC4Terrains - contains "raw" neighbourhood templates for you to create your own custom neighbourhoods

Storytelling - contains image files made with the in-game camera for paintings and taken while on community lots or using the in-game CAS.  Each image has a full sized image and a corresponding thumbnail image, always make sure to delete both.  There are reports that a large number of storytelling images will crash the game.

Teleport - contains the files and installer script for the contents of Sims2Pack files you install.  There is a limit on how many Sims2Pack files you can install between runs of the game without things getting "lost".  Most people report 3 as their max. Because of this, the folder is not properly emptied by the game and may periodically require you to manually delete any "stubs" that have not been properly installed.

Thumbnails - contains package files with preview images of the various in-game components (e.g., clothing, hair, eye colours, walls, floors, furniture, etc).  These files combine with the Groups.cache file to create the in-game visual catalogues.  These files can be safely deleted and the game will generate new ones "on demand". The thumbnails and Groups.cache should be periodically deleted since they are prone to data corruption and may cause a variety of issues when corrupted.

I have reports that files compressed with Jfade's Compressoriser can cause crashes on Macs.  I have not experienced this, but I do not think I know everything, so I will wait and hope that HugeLunatic might give more information on that.

Also some custom walls have a texture that is 768x256 and this has been demonstrated to cause crashes with Macs.  I myself have made walls with this size of texture before discovering this caused crashes.

I hope this helps explain what the folders contain and helps guide you to determine what it is that is causing the problem.

* mac_user_home.jpg (48.47 KB, 668x532 - viewed 243 times.)

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:36:53 am »

I don't think I have had any issue with the Compressoriser.  Point me to any particular files people have issues with and I can give them a try.  I also have never had crashes with walls/floor not be being in a power of two, they just show grey.

The first thing to delete if your game is crashing and you know you are under the limit would be your plists.  User/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.TheSims2.plist, com.aspyr.TheSims2BodyShop.plist, and com.aspyr.TheSims2Installer.plist.  That will reset all your ingame settings, under options.

If that doesn't do it, then move your entire The Sims 2 to your desktop.  The game will regenerate all the files Yakov listed above, replacing any custom user ones you have.  If you've accidently moved a file to the desktop, you may not have put it back correctly or also you may have accidently deleted something.

iMac G5
2 Ghz PPC
2 GB Ram
Radeon 9600

OT: Yakov your avi is yummy...Wink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:44:51 am by HugeLunatic » Logged

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:30:04 pm »

Thanks, HugeLunatic, I always forget the plists >_<

The next help request I receive for a compressorised file I will certainly appreciate help testing.  Thanks for the offer!

I think the crash bug for non-power of two textures is specific to one driver extension or video card.  I never experienced it, but I have seen the complaints on forums.  Like you, all I ever get is a grey dummy dexture.

I remember some clothing and hair used to do that also, even if 1x1 ratio, I never have figured out what caused that, but one of the patches solved that for me and I forgot it until you mentioned the grey texture.

Power Mac G5
2 @ 2.5GHz dual-core G5 CPU
16GB @ 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
PCI-E Radeon X1900 512MB GDDR3

The game has been ... promblematic ... since upgrading the video card, maybe I can benefit from some plist deleting too :lol:

OT: thanks, I like yours a lot too =)

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: