Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 02:59:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about packages  (Read 2066 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
mohmama3

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:30:26 pm »

Is there a way to tell if a package file is made from an expansion pack you don't have, if they don't say which expansions it is made from. For instance, I have downloaded some sims that have package files that have more than one ".package" in the file name.
Example: 6c03951d_BA_Blush.package.package.package.package. I have never seen a package file with more than one package extension.
Debbycus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:49:31 pm »

I think it's a BV bug, I've had similar, but you can still use it without problems. The file still has one extension (ie. the very last ".package"), the others are simply considered as parts of the file's name.
If you want, you can rename the file to have only one ".package", but I haven't really experienced issues with it. I just wonder what causes it...

Teh forum troll -- iz ur enemy. DO NOT FEED!
Alasdair

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:51:55 pm »

I had a bunch of those myself. It is a by-product of the clean installer. You can safely remove all the .package extensions in explorer. I haven't been able to figure out why it does that, I have noticed that when it starts adding those double or more pakage extensions it's usually because I already have one or more of the same file that it's extracting.
mohmama3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:24:12 pm »

Thanks for your responses.  I have some duplicate files when I remove the extra ".package" extensions from the name.  Will the end sim I downloaded use the original file already in my game, if I don't use the one that came with the sim with the name they assigned in the sim package?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:34:02 pm by mohmama3 » Logged
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:45:30 pm »

When you use Clean installer, sort your downloads by clicking the MD5 column heading in the right corner. This will sort your downloads by file number and all duplicates will be grouped together by the original, they will all have the same file number. This makes it easier when you are deleting duplicates. I just delete all the .package.package and .package.package.package (etc)files and leave the original file (.package) in my game. This happens mostly with downloading furnished lots but also sims with custom content. Hope this helps. Just to add, you can also preview the image before you delete it.

*waves* HI I am from Michigan too!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:58:39 pm by trl » Logged

Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:15 pm »

The multiple package "extensions" are created when you install a sims2pack with clean installer and choose not to install into the default directory. The more people have done that before to that particular file, the longer the filename. Some people delete the "packages", but not everyone bothers (or knows).

It doesn't have to do with duplicate files, though. But still it's a good idea to check your downloads with clean installer every now and then for duplicates.

Will the end sim I downloaded use the original file already in my game, if I don't use the one that came with the sim with the name they assigned in the sim package?
Yes.
When I install sims, I look over the names of the custom content. The most popular are already in my game and I know them by now. So I unclick them, because I know I already have them. The Clean installer asks to overwrite files, if they are already in the downloads folder. But if one has sorted ones stuff neatly in subfolders, duplicates ensue. Wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:14:19 pm by Wednesday17 » Logged
mohmama3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:08:56 pm »

Thank you all so much.  Everything is clear to me know.  I really appreciate your help.  Trl I am from Kalamazoo.  Nice to see a neighbor in this huge Sim world.

Hugs
Pat
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:17:33 pm »

It is nice and welcome to InSIM Pat. There's alot of us here. Have fun and share some picures of your simmies with us! *hugs* ~Tina~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: