Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:21:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another reason to NOT get BV  (Read 6112 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Meshy114

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:18 pm »

With my Christmas money I decided to get myself and expansion pack.  I went to my local Target store, and all they had was BV.  I wanted Seasons as that is the next one I needed.  So I say to myself, "what the heck, my mermaids need oceans to live in anyway!  I'll just get Seasons later!"  

I loaded it up, it was normal.  This is what happened...

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/?action=view¤t=NoLaunchNow1.jpg" target="_blank">http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/NoLaunchNow1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Notice there is no "Launch Sims 2 Bon Voyage".... Interesting....

So I double click the icon to start the game, this is what I get...

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/?action=view¤t=PlayOnline1.jpg" target="_blank">http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/PlayOnline1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

A LINK TO EA ASKING ME TO PLAY ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfir:

So I call EA, what do I get?  2 different techs saying "Oh, that's weird" and "I donno, never heard of this problem before..."

Never had I been so pissed of with a tech support, AND tried to COMPLAIN about the lack of help and I get HUNG UP ON!  

Needless to say, if I wasn't so damn poor, I'd microwave BOTH disk's and send them back.  But I told the lady at the return counter to do it, and got Seasons instead. (Went to a different Target... all they had was Seasons, no BV)  I will NEVER get another expansion pack beyond what I have.  

I know some people had issues with the SecuROM.  Mine was nowhere related to that.  I got a bad disk and they refused to admit it.  

To EA, you punks really f***ed up this time.  Fix your problems and don't tell me they are mine to deal with!  

Even better than un-helpful tech people, BV made it so that when I went to look at a picture I had on my computer, it said it was either a corrupt file, or the name was bad.  THANK GOD I'm not retarded and I did a system restore after I FULLY deleted ANY BV file.  I am currently reloading my game.  I'm on disk 1 of UNI.  This is going to be a long night.... at least I was planning on staying up late...

Happy new year to me EAxis almost made me lose my WHOLE last 5 years worth of pictures!!!

:rant:
OK ,done now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:01:34 pm by Meshy114 » Logged

Yessir, Captain Tight-Pants.
jenny_dunagan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:57:59 pm »

There was nothing wrong with your disks. Mine looks that way also. As far as I can tell you are not playing your game online. You just click the huge play button and the game loads as usual. I have not had any problems with it.
Meshy114

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:03:57 pm »

The play button never worked.  It was like the whole thing was un-clickable.

cmk1356

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:13:51 pm »

I had to take out my downloads folder and then I could get BV to load up the first time.  Then I closed it and put my downloads folder back in and it worked.  Now and again when I add something BV won't start up, and I have to once again start it up w/o my downloads, then I can close it and restart with the downloads.  I don't know what the problem is, but you might have been able to play it w/o downloads or by taking them out and then putting them back in.

Oh, and it doesn't actually make you play online.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:14:47 pm by cmk1356 » Logged
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:26:26 pm »

Since you aren't asking for help with your game, just venting your frustration, this is really not the right forum for this post.
Meshy114

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:31:05 pm »

Downloads are not the problem.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/?action=view¤t=Folders.jpg" target="_blank">http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/Sims%202%20Sreen%20Shots/Folders.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

As you can see, I've got every folder that I wanted to save something from on my desktop.  I'm not a moron, I remove anything and everything whether I'm adding a new pack or deleting one.

I also run it every time W/O all my custom content just to see it run and know it works.  Then I slowly add custom stuff in... Neighborhoods & Saved Sims, then projects, then I usually load Bodyshop...my list goes on...  

Never had an issue, until it did that.

kambre

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »

I think it's just a new format, it doesn't mean you're playing online - I kinda like it!
Cadiva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »

It's not for playing online, the Launcher connects to the internet so that you can see what the latest downloads and information that EA is plugging is.

You can also disable the launcher so it doesn't do this and, if you turn off your internet connection, it also won't try to connect to EA's website.
There's nothing unusual with this, EA did announce on their website when they released BV that it was going to have this launcher on it.

*I am not a smurf*
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:36:43 am »

What a lot of people - including me - have done, is just right-click on the shortcut icon on the desktop, chosen properties, and changed the target to point to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSBin\Sims2EP6.exe" (with the quotes). No launcher at all, just good old fashioned, straight into the game as before Wink

No requests please
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:36:31 am »

Sadie, do you think this would solve the fact that suddenly the game will not play at all?  I've had BV for a week and haven't had any problems until today when I tried to start it.  It absolutely will not start.  Not with the launcher, not with autostart, not with the menu.  Just...nothing.  It acts like it's going to start, but it won't.  And I know it's not my discdrive, because other games work just fine.  Even without cc it won't start.  I'm extremely disgruntled.:cwm21:

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 01:21:36 pm »

I've had that a few times too, so no. Deleting the groups.cache and accessory.cache always fixes it for me though Smiley

No requests please
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:43:20 pm »

OMG - it worked!!! Sadie, you're a lifesaver!  I mean really!  You have no idea how panic stricken and severly depressed I was when I couldn't crank up my game to take some story shots and play.  You've saved my addiction - hooray!  Thank you thank you thank you!

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
nikki.g

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:22 pm »

I have had BV since christmas andit plays up every now and then like telling me to not use Disk 2 and just minimizing whenever it feels like. Really ANNOYING!!! I don't think it's that great (the expansion) even!

It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality i accept!
[/SIZE]
PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

I finally broke down and bought the download version from EA and haven't had a problem #1. I don't know what's different about it from the DVD. But,  I bought it when it first came out and no matter what I did including putting CC back one at a time helped in the long run. It took me days to get it to even work for hair, make-up and clothing. Everything else worked fine. Finally got it to work. A couple weeks later it was all gone again, so I removed BV. Wanted it back but had put it on my grandson's PC alone with just the Sims, and registered it to him. So I went to the EA link and bought it. It installed fine, no problems and everything showed up. I put all my CC back in and still worked. I've been playing it for awhile now everyday and haven't had any problems at all. Even went and bought teen stuff from the link and installed it. Preordered Sims Castaway because I love it for PS3. CC showed up right away, hasn't pinged anything...like the DVD did over and over, blue screen of death, etc...I didn't even delete my cache files or thumbnails this time like I do for a fresh start with each new EP and Stuff pack. I have since, and let them regenerate, but still haven't had any problems. Very weird. But knocking on wood just in case. lol
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:39:45 am by PegasusDiana » Logged

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 12:58:41 pm »

LOL @Astral - you're welcome Wink Dunno what's up with that though, it does get annoying Undecided

Never had a problem with the DVD version, although that might be 'cause I read up on this secuROM crap going on, so grabbed a no CD crack to use instead. Tried using the DVD after patching it properly, damn thing got installed through the disc. Promptly went back to the crack, uninstalled the "rootkit" courtesy of this nifty program I found (this is after I patched it), been running with no problems since. There are one or two anomalies with the UI though (the dialogues, anyway) - don't know if that's 'cause of the crack, but they're not game-threatening so I just live with it. Rather that than risk my DVD R/W and my burning programs Tongue

No requests please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: