Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 09:24:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving my game to another computer (with downloads)  (Read 3525 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
xTERRIx

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:14 pm »

ok, my parents got me a new laptop for Christmas (WOOT!), and i really like it, especially for the fact that i don't have to kick my dad off his computer! the laptop i have is really fast, high-tech, and i think it can handle the Sims 2 and my ridiculously large files. i actually haven't gotten it yet, since it's coming in through mail. any tips on moving my game from on computer to another?

HP-Special Edition Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology-Ceramic White-dv6648se

These are my objectives:

*install the sims 2 with expansion packs (duh! i think i already know how to do that!)

*burn my sims 2 downloads file to a disk and place on laptop (any tips on moving large files? apparently my downloads folder is 2.78 GB, and i have blank cd's that can hold 700 MB. help with tech math?)

*burn extra neighborhoods to a disk

*possibly move my projects folder to a blank disk and place on laptop? ( i really want to continue creating custom content, and is there any way i can move the projects folder to my laptop? u know, so when i open up bodyshop, they're already there)

*move Kere's Workout Video replacements onto a blank disc and place on laptop :rabbit:

*install Adobe Photoshop ( a MUST!)

*get new video card

any help at all will be appreciated!:worship:

Terri::smilieiforgetwhi::
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:58:20 pm by xTERRIx » Logged

<signature removed due to size, please refer to forum rules>
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:17:40 pm »

I did this just a while ago-from one desktop to another-and the way I moved my downloads and neighborhoods was to use a flash drive to store what I wanted immediately from the old computer to the new one. Because the flash drive is small (121mg) I had to do this in several stages, but I had everything organized in both computers to do it easily. I installed the game on the new one and had it running properly before I did any additions to it.
Make sure you have your original download folders, in case your downloads in the older computer don't work as the file used.
Of course if you burn your stuff on a disk, you can pack more in. I wish I had done that, but I'd run out of disks to burn! If you do burn them, organize them to be recognizable when you use them of course-by naming them as "hacks", "furniture", etc.
Otherwise than that, good luck!

pandasan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:43:52 am »

Quote from: Terrisim0990;1085721
any tips on moving my game from on computer to another?

See comments below~

*install the sims 2 with expansion packs (duh! i think i already know how to do that!)

Make sure that the last EP you installed on your PC is the last you install on this new laptop - that is the version of the game that your saved games are saved as.

*burn my sims 2 downloads file to a disk and place on laptop (any tips on moving large files? apparently my downloads folder is 2.78 GB, and i have blank cd's that can hold 700 MB. help with tech math?)

1 GB= 1024 MB
So, if you have 2.78GB of downloads, that is ~2848MB. Since you can only burn 700MB to a CD, you will need 4-5CDs to burn all downloads. Don't forget that if you also want to restore your neighborhoods, you will need to copy and move the Neighborhoods folder as well.

There are a couple options other than burning to CDs which may or may not be easier for you.
1) Form a home network between your Dad's PC and your new laptop so you can transfer the files over the network. This involves having both PCs connected to the internet through a switch/hub/etc and then creating a network. If you or your Dad are not very techy this might not work for you, but this is what I have always done.
2)Buy a transfer cable for ~$30 and link the 2 computers USB ports for file transfer. It comes with software to help transfer files directly from one computer to the next. I bought one of these recently and plan to try it when my new PC arrives - it's supposed to be faster than going through the network
3)Burn to DVDs? If your dad's PC has a DVD burner and your laptop can read DVDs, they would be a better option than CDs, as DVDs have a capacity of 4~8GB depending on how many layers they have. You could burn all of your stuff to 1 DVD as opposed to 4 or 5 CDs.

*possibly move my projects folder to a blank disk and place on laptop? ( i really want to continue creating custom content, and is there any way i can move the projects folder to my laptop? u know, so when i open up bodyshop, they're already there)

You can definitely transfer the folder, but whether or not it will load the projects.. I'm not sure :\ Someone else may be able to answer that better.

I'd also like to give you a bit of warning- laptops run MUCH hotter than PCs. Overheating=laptop death. You will need to get a laptop cooling pad and/or a small desk fan to blow on your laptop to help cool it when playing  games. It's good that the laptop is 2core but how well the game will run will also depend on the laptop's memory, operating system, and video card. If your laptop has Vista and only 1GB of memory, it won't run as well as it would on an XP OS with 1GB (as Vista is a big ol' resource hog). Most laptops do not come with very good gaming video cards, but I'm sure it will be able to handle sims. I hope I haven't discouraged you too much from laptops, I have not tried playing on a modern one myself, but they tend to have the same problems just because of the nature of the beast. I hope that was helpful ^^;;
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:45:24 am by pandasan » Logged
xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 03:57:26 pm »

ooooooh, thanx everyone! i just can't believe i have to wait until Tues. to start all the action. stupid UPS. they lost my package and then found that it was delivered to the wrong person in OKLAHOMA!

pandasan:
1) Form a home network between your Dad's PC and your new laptop so you can transfer the files over the network. This involves having both PCs connected to the internet through a switch/hub/etc and then creating a network. If you or your Dad are not very techy this might not work for you, but this is what I have always done.

that might not be a good idea considering that my dad and i are not very techy.

2)Buy a transfer cable for ~$30 and link the 2 computers USB ports for file transfer. It comes with software to help transfer files directly from one computer to the next. I bought one of these recently and plan to try it when my new PC arrives - it's supposed to be faster than going through the network

i think that would actually be a lot better! i'm think i'll try that

3)Burn to DVDs? If your dad's PC has a DVD burner and your laptop can read DVDs, they would be a better option than CDs, as DVDs have a capacity of 4~8GB depending on how many layers they have. You could burn all of your stuff to 1 DVD as opposed to 4 or 5 CDs

i don't know if i have blank DVDs. maybe i do somewhere in this computer office.....

MaryH:

yeah, i recently organized my downloads into seperate folder like "hacks", "furniture", etc. but i haven't organized ALL of them yet! i think i should do that right now.

Thank you all so much! this is really gonna help  (and my dad says this forum's a waste of time!)

xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:11:22 pm »

woot! my laptop came in! i really need a good reply on the projects folder thingy cause i don't want my comp. to crash, or my body shop the crash, either.

Sleepycat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:58:22 pm »

yes, you can save your projects folder and use it on your new computer, same with your downloads and neighborhoods and stuff.

Crazy Town - home of my Sim stories & SC4 Terrains, Sims, hairy Skintones and some clothes & stuff.
Simbology
xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »

sooooooo, if i place my downloads folder in there, they'll pop up??? AWESOME!! thanx Sleepycat!

xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:55:40 pm »

ok! i looked at what my sims would look like in-game, and they look kinda bad up-close. i know that there is a way to get a new video card, so could someone shed some light on this, please? :angel:

EDIT: fixed by Sims 2 Cri :wink:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:38:03 pm by xTERRIx » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: