Insimenator.org
April 30, 2024, 12:16:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New computer  (Read 2685 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
snapzit

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:54:39 pm »

I just got a new computer. The graphics card should do it *NVidia 8600*, and there are over 3 GBs of RAM. Is there anything particular to Vista I need to think about? I have everything up to and including Seasons, even the dreaded Pets, most of the stuff packs, and lots of CC in my old computer's hard drive. I know to back up my game and everything involved w/ Sims2, but was wondering about any quirks peculiar to Vista that might muck up everything.

Any information or experience will be appreciated. Although I'm a hoverer (as distinct from lurker) I look to you for guidance. I like your quality and style.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

I run Vista on my laptop, and it's a resource hog, which is why you need a better graphics card and more RAM when you run it on Vista instead of XP. So your game should run on fine on your computer with your graphics card and ram, but not as nicely as it would on XP. That's really all you should be aware of, as far as I know. Other than that, do be sure to update your graphics drivers. They don't necessarily come installed with the most up-to-date drivers. I'll have to get home and power up my laptop to walk you through the process on Vista, if you like and if you need it.

Edit: Actually, if you go to this page, then click on "to manually update drivers", you'll get the instructions there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:04:52 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:13:45 am »

Thank you, caffeinated. I updated my drivers. I'll have to go through all my CC to make sure I only keep the best of it for the new box. It's great getting a new computer, but it sure takes a while to upgrade, download patches and fixes, etc. I appreciate your candor about Sims 2 not running as well on Vista, but mine was becoming so choppy on some lots with CC that it was working my nerves at times, and I wouldn't play those lots as a result.

Numenor's window wall is going to be a great test for the new graphics card. Also, with a brighter monitor and better computer, I think I'll start tinkering with creating some content.

Thanks again.
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »

SNZZZT! Ok, now that I've vented -

I have done the Vista 'easy transfer' thing from my old XP computer, thinking all my game, CC, lots, neighborhoods, etc. would happily show up......well, no, as a matter of fact, nothing does.  Not only does nothing show up, I now have 'ghost' neighborhoods that should have a story from the original CDs, but don't. I also have grid (mesh) repetitions of the same neighborhoods that have nothing in them.

Interestingly, all my cc and game info shows up in the file directory. I am determined to work through this and share whatever I find out about Vista/Sims 2/XP file transfer when I have a few hours to dedicate to it. I'm hoping I don't have to start over, but feeling I might. Sigh. So many hours....so much good content....so many sims lives lost....GRRRR! All those Marvine and Beosboxboy babes and hunks! Drat! ....fans self...whew.

Any thoughts? Or is this just something that we new Vista-ites have to do until all the micro-bug-softs get worked out? Or could it be the dreaded *user Error!!!!*?
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:40:02 pm »

By the way, when the game loads, it starts out with Seasons, which is in the DVD player, then it somehow reverts to Pets during just before asking whether to enable custom content. Should I re-install one or the other?
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:52:30 pm »

Just giving a quick rundown of the new computer issue:
Still no luck getting the game to run properly (or even close) using my saved game with CC.  I un-installed all the EPs and SPs successfully until I got to Sims 2 Deluxe, which has Nightlife with it. The computer kept giving a message that it could not uninstall it until all the EPs were uninstalled. Nor would it install when prompted, even though I couldn't find any sign of an EP.  After trying to find a remnant of an EP and failing, I did a system restore back to before I had installed any of the Sims game parts. I have not installed anything back in yet.

Problem: I have lots of wonderful custom content saved on a DVD that I would hate to lose, along with the game I have been playing, however, none of it showed up in the new install. As with many of us, I have become attached to my Sims, most of whom I have created, the wonderful custom content I have found, and the joy and challenge of the game.

Question: In your more experienced opinion, are there any ideas you might have to salvage my game and content, or should I shrug, sigh, and simply start over? I mean, it's just a game, eh? AAAACK!

I'll be away from the computer for a few days, so if anyone wants to mull it over, please do, and I appreciate your thoughts on how to correct this problem. Thanks for thinking about it.
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »

Everything had to be uninstalled. All my custom content had to be removed. Fortunately, I backed it up to a DVD, so I still can selectively add it back in. All my neighborhoods, lots, and Sims that I made are gone. There was something in the cc that just wouldn't let the game run and it kept crashing when I clicked on a lot. There is no reason for it not to work on this computer from a hardware standpoint -the computer has a Core2 quad CPU, Nvidia 8600 graphics card, and 4 GBs of RAM, 500 GB hard drive. It had run fine with all the cc on the older XP computer and a lot less frills, just slower and choppy.

I had some technical help from a very patient tech assitant, and she couldn't figure it out easily either. She did the one thing I hadn't done, which was get rid of the cc. We looked for drivers, patches, updates, and everything else before deleting the cc. Sigh.

I would highly recommend that anyone switching computers or changing their Operating System to Vista be careful with the custom content and get the game itself running before adding cc back in to see how it goes. Put your great creations on a disk; CD or DVD so you'll have it when the  game crashes repeatedly, forcing you to drastic measures. This step will also keep anything related to Sims 2 off your hard drive, avoiding the hunt for it when you get the magic box.   You have to chase it down and make every trace of it go away or a box comes up that says it was not uninstalled, and it won't let you re-install the game. I had some problems completely uninstalling the game, EPs and Stuff Paks. I did 3 system restores to completely get it out of there.

Now for the good news: the game looks wonderful on the new computer. Crisp, sharp, clean, and very detailed and bright. Way better!! There is not one hint of choppiness, and it loads like a breeze, quick.

I am now looking forward to getting Marvine's and Beos' slim bodybuilder, the bodybuilder, the athlete, all the great skins from Louis, Numenor's window-wall, Wirelessguy's clothing for all the above, and that awsome raggedy old Factory from Olemaniker back into my game, among other things.

Sorry for the long post, but others might benefit by knowing what a pain Vista can be. Once the bugs are worked out, I think it's going to be a fine game experience (crosses fingers, holds breath and looks at the heavens).
adalita

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:09 am »

Just watch what graphics card you have the NVidia has problems (i know I have one)  just  to let you know your screen will go ble but hang on!  also check out the nvidia site too about this problem!

3rd place in Siblings-Love Or Hate Contest with Alyssa and Aimee Sacchi!
1st place in A Family Christmas with The Pearcy Family
Adalita's SIMS Come and check out my sims and their houses!
Check out my work in Living Sims Magazine HERE
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:19 am »

Thanks, adalita, I will keep an eye on it. So far so good, but I have even begun to add content, yet. I think that will be the proving ground. I have the Nvidia Ge force 8600. I went to the Nvidia website and checked drivers. Seems mine is up-to-date. Guess I'll just have to get some play time in and start adding content to see if it all holds up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: