Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 08:58:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenophobia: Pride & Prejudice - Chapter Twenty-four  (Read 154521 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
GingerGal08
Vampire on the run!

May bite if provoked.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:58 pm »

Great chapter!But,why did Ripp actually WANT to pay for the hospital fees???It's expensive and he can barely afford a crisp packet!

Oh,and thanks for approving of what I said.Honestly,I have NO clue who the hell to vote for when I turn eighteen! Sad (Hmm,Liberals,Conservatives or Labour?Liberals,Conservatives or Labour?They're all as bad as each other!) Cheesy

"Hold me,
Like you held onto life,
When all fears came alive and entombed me.
Love me,
Like you love the sun,
Scorching the blood in my vampire heart." - Vampire Heart,H.I.M.
SpeedSpin_88

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2008, 08:37:01 pm »

Just for clarification: The Grunts are indeed a military family living in America, right?

And also: What kind of accent is Johnny suppossed to have?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:38:59 pm by SpeedSpin_88 » Logged

My first real sim story on this site.

The Osiris Theroy
Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2008, 08:37:29 pm »

It's been a while since I read this, but still is very good.

SppedSpin: That's the impression I'm getting as well.

BTW, GingerGal, do what I do:
-Don't vote.
-Create your own political party.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:39:56 pm by Rock Justice » Logged
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:04 pm »

SpeedSpin: They are an American family (which is what prompted the discussion on US Hospital care and led to the current political thing)
It seems like they're in a southern part of the US with the way Johnny shortens his words.  But that's just me.

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06:51 am »

Oh wow. Ripp is blaming himself? Not good. Common thought process, but not good. Love the growing relationships here.

And Tank getting a makeover? From the Rock Chick? Scary. Smiley
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:41 am »

Ooh, wow... first off, thanks for the positive feedback Smiley

Okay, in answer to various questions:

I picked Arizona as the setting - it seemed the best choice for somewhere in the desert. Arizona I gather is middle/bordering on South, and from what I recall (someone from Arizona visited us in junior school once) they don't seem to have much Southern dialect. I could be wrong. Anyway, as for the way I have them speaking - things like shortening words isn't so much an accent thing (plenty of Brits do that, me included). It seems to be a mixture of things, and after looking at their personalities, bios etc., it just went on from there. I tend to play out scenes in my head like movies, I hear them speaking in my mind. I just took what I heard and translated into text Smiley

@Ginger: Ripp feels bad about "causing his anger" etc. so doesn't want his dad footing the bill for it. That and he's way too nice Wink

@Speedspin: Yes, they're a military family - hence the bad language(?) Wink With Ripp rebelling against the whole army, tough guy type scenario, I wanted to reflect that in the way he expresses himself - although other factors like friends, personality (he has a mind like a sewer Cheesy), that kind of thing complicates matters a little. As for Johnny, the whole wanting to drive around in a sports car (read his bio Wink), wanting to be "cool", etc. swayed me a little on that one. That and the tendency (happened to me) to pick up expressions etc. from different people as you go through life :dontknow:

@steelguy: Scary indeed Wink Mind you, Tank's going through a pretty black period himself, so who knows what that combo will cook up Wink

Be honest guys; is there a problem with how I have them talking, or is this just curiosity?

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2008, 12:39:09 pm »

Quote from: AxelVal;1222461
It seems like they're in a southern part of the US with the way Johnny shortens his words.  But that's just me.

Personally, I usually stick Strangetown in Arizona, although I think I was meant to be near Area 51 (In Nevada).  I actually gave it map co-ordinates, even.  I am a sad, strange little girl.  Smiley  There's a lot of desert around that area, so I thought it made the most sense.  But the hills aren't nearly colorful enough to be out near the Painted Desert, so...yeah.  

Yeah, the Painted Desert is one of those things that I think people should see if they take a vacation to this country.  It's pretty marvelous--in fact, I think I still have some pictures of it from when we were little kids.

Yeah, yeah, I started all this crap.  That's me, the little s#17-starter.  Tongue

Would love to see bios, Sadie.  I love me some backstory. :3  But first, burger and blouse.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:17:13 pm by Hooligan » Logged

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2008, 02:43:41 pm »

You'd love to see bios? They're already written, by Maxis. Have a leaf through them next time you're playing - Buzz's one is hilarious! :laughing:

Or would you rather I do a copy/paste job and put them up here? Wink

No requests please
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2008, 03:26:40 pm »

I quite like the dialect you have, Sadie.  I only have a problem with it if it's done badly, over-used or taken to an extreme (read: The book we just read in English class, eugh)
I know they're a desert but the way they talk reminds me of almost where I live which seems much more southern than it really is.  If you were suddenly teleported to my school - apart from the accents - you probably wouldn't be able to tell it's in North-East Ohio.

Hooligan: I did that to Corrin County.  I know exactly where it is in Ohio.
Kingly not so much...

steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2008, 04:29:05 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79;1222915

Be honest guys; is there a problem with how I have them talking, or is this just curiosity?

Maybe Curiosity? I've been wondering myself, because sometimes the dialog does seem odd to me, but I'm not sure why. I think it might be that actually seeing an accent written is different to hearing it spoken. It takes a bit more to translate it as you read perhaps? No complaints, though.

And Tank is in a dark place? Scarier still. Ophelias gone all goth in my game, because a ghost scared her to death and Olive had to plead with Grim to get her back. Hasn't quite been the same since. Smiley
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »

Ah yes, the ghosts.. she got scared once or twice in my game too, got sick of it so enlisted the help of TJ's ghost hack Wink I'm tempted to turn that off again since Tank's popped round a few times, and I'm just interested to see what would happen if his mum said hello...

I checked out Nevada and Arizona courtesy of Wikipedia (well, more accurately :google:), and I'm inclined to agree with Hooligan - I think it is meant to be in Nevada, and I'm especially inclined to go with the area 51 theory - anyone noticed that the Grunts live at 51 Road To Nowhere? I'm only glad I haven't mentioned setting in my story yet - not too late to switch, is it? :angel:

Yep, Tank's in a dark place - and it's gonna get worse before it gets better... He doesn't know that yet, of course :shh:

No requests please
ImpishParody
Eighties Escapee

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2008, 05:05:05 pm »

Great update Sadie! Apologies for not posting more often, school got the better of me, ironically it was history which involves a lot of politics during this current topic, agree with people's points of view about the situation in the UK ATM, it's terrible in Scotland, arguments are starting to surface about an independant state, NOT a good idea in my opinion, we're already in debt by more than some Afriacan countries, withdraw English finacial support and it will collapse completely Sad
Anyway, great update as I said, I loved the different tones you used in the flashback memories for sad and happy atmospheres! Nice touch Smiley And, yes I am still reading your stories over and over again to unwind from revision xD
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2008, 07:15:56 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79;1223120
You'd love to see bios? They're already written, by Maxis. Have a leaf through them next time you're playing - Buzz's one is hilarious! :laughing:

Or would you rather I do a copy/paste job and put them up here? Wink

No, no, unnecessary.  It took me this long to realize they HAD bios.  Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Quote from: Sadie79;1223120
I'm especially inclined to go with the area 51 theory - anyone noticed that the Grunts live at 51 Road To Nowhere? I'm only glad I haven't mentioned setting in my story yet - not too late to switch, is it?

Wow....It's been years since I opened that 'hood , so, no, I hadn't seen that (I loved it lots in my last install, but that's on the other hard drive I can never have access to).  As for moving the setting, I don't think that would be necessary.  It's within driving distance, should anything go down.  

Maybe I'll have old Olive invite the General around for tea and a poke in the graveyard, then. :3

@AxelVal: No, I like...spent three hours looking on a topographical map of Arizona for the perfect place to put Strangetown canyon.  This was in lieu of actually writing something that I should have been.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:25:42 pm by Hooligan » Logged

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
SpeedSpin_88

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2008, 07:50:10 pm »

For military families in the US, Tricare cares for at least 80% of medical costs.

And about Johnny's accent it was just curiosity.:smile: I live in the southern end of the US and that's kind of close to the way most of the guys I know talk.

My first real sim story on this site.

The Osiris Theroy
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2008, 09:00:23 pm »

*laugh*
Okay, I actually didn't do that but I do know exactly where it's supposed to be in real life.  I don't care if a town's already there or not!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: