Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:42:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenophobia: Pride & Prejudice - Chapter Twenty-four  (Read 152253 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2008, 10:52:59 pm »

Yeah, I can empathise with you on that part.  It's the main reason that I won't throw out what I wrote last year into the public eye; all the research I just blatantly didn't do.  (Not implying anything there, though.)  Well, that and the fact that I just don't like it all that much.  

Lots of luck to you, for doing this while you're in school.

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2008, 05:29:59 am »

Heh, thanks Smiley Got scribbling in my notepad before crashing out last night - it won't be as bad as I thought. I can still use what I wrote, just some re-arranging and adding bits. Still, with Uni in its last weeks and the pressure piling on to get everythign finished, it's a case of when I can get to it (not to mention the pics take time -_-)

And no, as much as they'd be nice, bribes won't work Wink

No requests please
GingerGal08
Vampire on the run!

May bite if provoked.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »

I'd prefer Pepsi as a bribe! Smiley Or chocolate! Cheesy But it would still take at least a week!Plus,I'm glad the British have free healthcare! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:13:00 pm by GingerGal08 » Logged

"Hold me,
Like you held onto life,
When all fears came alive and entombed me.
Love me,
Like you love the sun,
Scorching the blood in my vampire heart." - Vampire Heart,H.I.M.
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2008, 03:18:43 pm »

Well, heck!  One more reason for me to move out of the states and into Britain.
Besides Top Gear that is...

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2008, 03:30:04 pm »

@Ginger: Well, technically we don't have "free" healthcare, but it's a damn sight cheaper than the States. Got such a shock on reading people have been made bankrupt by greedy hospitals :shock:

@Axel: Yeah.. funnily enough, there seems to be guys on both sides of the argument about that one, the big question being "to tax ("Free") or not to tax (private)?" But that's a whole nother debate, and this is the wrong place to start one Wink

... in the meantime Johnny's starting to give me an earful, so I'd better start writing :lol:

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2008, 01:31:22 am »

OH THANK GOD I CAN COMMENT AGAIN.  XDDDDD  I srsly didn't want to be the only other person talking here, that would make me feel like a stalker.  Lawl.  

I woke up tonight thinking about Joanne.  She was a friend I made at uni; she was from Manchester.  I remember telling her about how I played Sims 2, and she said that she had gotten really into the Sims, so I "lent" her my game disks.  One of the first things that she said to me after she had played it for a while was, "Wow, that game was so obviously made in the States."  She was referring to the way that the lots are set up, you know.  Big yards...large, unconnected houses.  One of the things she told me once when we were walking back and forth (I think we were going to Wal*Mart or something) was, "I used to think that when I saw movies that were made in the States, that they had to find somewhere specific to shoot all those scenes with the disconnected houses."
Me: "No, no, it mostly looks like this."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:31:53 am by Hooligan » Logged

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:59 am »

Sadie: Ah yes, the problems of balancing Real Life and creativity. (sighs) And when the pesky characters start bugging you when you're trying to do Work... (grumbles) Still, it's better than staring at a blank page with no idea of what to write...

Hooligan: Just out of interest, it's pretty much like that here in New Zealand, too. Unconnected houses, private yards, etc. I visited relatives in England and was like - what? You're all joined together???
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:36 am »

Hehe, yeah - that's what gets a little frustrating with the rest of my stories as they're set in England (since I live here, after all). Replacement uniforms, decorative postboxes, and there's still the conundrum of terraced houses - although thankfully they're starting to pop up on MTS2. In the meantime I still have British-set sims living in American style housing... -_-

Terraced housing is a bind though, especially with the older ones. The house I left behind to study at Uni is a working-class Victorian terrace, with paper thin walls and no way to put in cavity insulation. You can hear plug sockets being used, even the guy next door blowing his nose! :oogle:

@steelguy: Yeah, tell me about it.. It's not just Johnny either; all three of those boys kept me up all last night. They're proving to be a real handful lately :lol:

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:38 am »

Starting to feel a bit like a single parent are we, Sadie?  XD

You know, I'm actually starting to think that it's not a matter of terraced housing being a locational thing as more of a time frame thing?  Like, in New York and other towns that are older than the rest of the established country here, there's a ton of it, but in places that were started up after some point in history (maybe after 1800?) it becomes more spaced out.  Please do correct me if I'm wrong.  I was looking it up on Wiki, and it all started in the 1700s, so that might be some of it.  Pilgrims brought it over, with like, you know, religious intolerance and smallpox.  (Wow, biased much??  Don't mind me, I'm just really bitter this morning.)  Places where you can find a lot of townhouses are like NYC (of course), Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Washington D.C. and San Francisco.  There are a TON in SF (which is where I grew up, at least as a very small child.), and you can see them all marching down the sides of hills, it's pretty cool.  (Oh wow, "townhouse".  I just let y'all know where I'm from. XD)  

Going back to something I said earlier, about leaving the States?  People keep mentioning Australia, but I have ruled that out on the basis of RAINS OF SPIDERS.  It's about tops on my list of Things That Should Not Be....OK, I'll stop being off topic nao.  

ANYWAYS.  I was wandering about on the net, cause I do that a lot, and I found something about brain gender.  This would not pertain to the thread at all except for one reason: it had jarred me quite a lot to see big ol' Tank being all emotive, crying and telling people what he really thinks and stuff.  And then I found out that in respect to the gender of the brain, a lot of writers and artists have a female-gendered brain, regardless of their physical sex or perceived gender.  And then it made so much sense.  So, uh, good on me, I figured it out?  You, uh, may not want to let him know that though.  Not sure how he'd take that, lol.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:51:20 am by Hooligan » Logged

GingerGal08
Vampire on the run!

May bite if provoked.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2008, 12:13:05 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79
@Ginger: Well, technically we don't have "free" healthcare, but it's a damn sight cheaper than the States. Got such a shock on reading people have been made bankrupt by greedy hospitals :shock:

Unfortunetely,my parents STILL won't tell me about money.All they say is that clothes are getting cheaper and food is getting more expensive and blah,blah,blah!That,and I've never been a hospital patient since I was a baby,so I don't know squat about hospital fees.Besides,I want to be a clinical scientist and they work in the labs,not the wards.
Quote from: Sadie79
Hehe, yeah - that's what gets a little frustrating with the rest of my stories as they're set in England (since I live here, after all). Replacement uniforms, decorative postboxes, and there's still the conundrum of terraced houses - although thankfully they're starting to pop up on MTS2. In the meantime I still have British-set sims living in American style housing...

I agree.Totally annoying,but i think things are better in America.They also produce most the music I listen to.But us British let our orchestras do music for films and TV shows they produce!So it isn't all bad!I prefer America...even if they have capital punishment...:chainsaw:

"Hold me,
Like you held onto life,
Love me,
Like you love the sun,
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2008, 12:51:49 pm »

@Hooligan: That's very interesting. I'm actually well aware of the brain gender issue - I'm on the receiving end of such a thing myself. Wondered for ages why sometimes I'd feel so confused, how masculine I am in some ways, and then I came across a "condition" for want of a better word, where it's possible that your brain gender can consist of both male and female, which has happened in my case.. might explain how I can empathise with men in some ways more than I can women. Which is a bonus when it comes to writing, as it helps loads with character development Wink What happened with Tank was more on-the-fly stuff, trying to dig underneath the macho shell his dad had made around him, and that's what I unearthed (I'm a big believer of "appearance can be deceiving" Wink). Interesting about writers tending to be more like that though, makes me glad I took him down that road Smiley Single parent? You have no idea... *headdesk* It does feel like that sometimes, complete with wanting to give Ripp a big hug, stroke his hair and tell him everything's gonna be okay... Sad

@Ginger: That's pretty bad, they need to tell you something about this necessary evil soon since you need it to live. Re: hospitals etc. over here? There are still private hospitals/clinics that charge closer to the US equivalents, but they're less aggressive in collecting payments, will arrange repayment plans and all sorts. For the rest of us, the NHS still charges people who have to pay, but are a lot easier to manage - none of this charging for rooms, for a start. Medical insurance in these cases actually helps you cover the cost with a nice small premium every month. Those of us (like students) who are less rich get full exemption from most NHS charges, but in the main it's still funded by the taxpayer (hence not technically free). The other side of the coin of course is things like long waiting lists, crippling debts the NHS is faced with, that kinda thing. Swings in roundabouts I guess.

*looks above* Now who's replying with books? :oops:

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »

@Sadie: Yeah, I write too, so I do know how it is.  Half the time they don't talk to you at all, and the other half you just can't get them to shut up.  The latter is usually when you have to sleep due to class or work in the morning.  Mostly my characters keep me up by having noisy sex in the upstairs bedrooms.  It is a real...bummer.  Been there; you have my sympathy.  You'll look back on it and laugh (usually).

Yeah, I ended up at that site because I was looking for some explanation of why I think the way that I do, it's been bugging me for a couple years now.  I think I may be coming into an answer.  

@GingerGirl08:  Haha, I'll trade you!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:07:59 pm by Hooligan » Logged

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2008, 04:55:44 pm »

Oh damn, I know! Want a bout of insomnia? Become a writer Tongue I actually pictured myself beckoning those kids forth and giving them an earful about keeping me awake, how much work I've gotta do and how they can't keep bugging me when it's inconvenient.. (yep, definitely single parent syndrome :lol:). And yeah, usually when you need to sleep. Always either during the night, or when I'm doing something else during the day, where I'll drift off and start hoping I have a notebook handy (it's not always a good time to even use one, like walking down the street!). I even scribbled down ideas during a lecture once :laughing:

It is a good thing though. Great exercises in creativity, it needs to be kept active. Don't fancy another long spell of block like I did before finding the contest section here... They're lovely boys really, there's just some times I wish they'd shut up for a while Wink No chance of that happening any time soon though...

No offense, but I couldn't live in America. I'd rather be somewhere in Europe, maybe Austria (although I haven't been there yet, would like to). I speak German fairly well, it just needs quite a bit of brushing up on.

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2008, 02:52:46 am »

Yeah, It's becoming highly apparent that I can't live here either, and that makes me deeply sad in ways that I can't even express well to other people who've never felt that.  I love this country dearly, but I hate what it's becoming.  And really, in the extremely unlikely chance that McCain wins this next election, I really will have to leave, because I just can't stand another four years of jobless, aid-less mockery of my existence.  And that just makes me feel really upset.  

ANYway. >>  OFFU TOPPIKU!!  I need to find something else to say to justify this post.  Gimme a minute....

Yeah, OK.  So, my folks in Pleasantview have just...stopped talking to me at all.  I am clearly not going to have 50k words by the end of the month, I have just barely 14k now, and I haven't written since the twelfth, I think.  It sucks.

How hard would it be to find a school in the UK that teaches Metallurgy and Jewelery making?  That's, uh, kinda what I was going to study. >>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:00:50 am by Hooligan » Logged

GingerGal08
Vampire on the run!

May bite if provoked.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2008, 10:00:21 am »

Okaay...think I get the message.I thought students were supposed to listen to lectures,not give them? :-P

By the way,if you must move to Europe from america,DON'T MOVE TO BRITAIN!!!!!It's political mess!!!AND I MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!A war could break out any minute between imigrants and british people,(I'm not joking!)with our own government against us middle class civilians.Why do you think my sig has 'It's WAR!!!!' on it?!

Okay,I'm done now...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:09:02 am by GingerGal08 » Logged

"Hold me,
Like you held onto life,
Love me,
Like you love the sun,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: