Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:37:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenophobia: Pride & Prejudice - Chapter Twenty-four  (Read 152086 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:18 pm »

Re: the way they talk - that's a relief! Cheesy Just never had this many comments on my characters' speech before, so wasn't sure what to make of it. Although judging from people's answers, given where Arizona is I seem to have it pretty close! Cheesy

Re: setting - yeah, fair enough, I'll keep it there then. Good point about the two being driving distance, makes for a good get-out clause Wink Hmm, maybe Buzz is based in Nevada? That'd make sense. I hope :angel: Makes for some interesting scenarios later on, been going crazy with research into certain laws of that state. In that way, AZ and NV are very different, despite being so close to each other.

Re: military familes - thanks for that, Speed, I'd been trying to find that out! Must've been typing in the wrong key-words or something :dontknow: At any rate though, Johnny's not part of a military family, so he wouldn't know about that (and neither would his dad). Ripp is hardly in the right frame of mind to consider that, either. Buzz will know though, so his expression on receiving the bill shouldn't be that bad, in that case Wink

No requests please
joe_mulcahy

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2008, 05:08:28 am »

Very good chapter!  I loved how you portray Peter, he's such an understanding father.  Better than certain human fathers, I daresay!  I know in the USA, military families tend to have better health care coverage than the civilians, so it's likely that the co-payment won't be that daunting for Generall Buzz Grunt.  In fact, I have a friend who lives in the USA, and when I remarked that military families in the USA seem to be larger than their civilian counterparts (i.e. many of the families near the base had 3-5 children each, whilst the civilian families tended to have only one or two children each), my buddy said "why not?  the Government pays for the labour and delivery."   Good job Ripp didn't go to a military hospital, as I heard nothing but bad things about them from my American friends. In fact, there is a military hospital in Hawaii known as "Tripler Hospital" but my friend and his mates all called it "Crippler Hospital" because you come out of the hospital is worse condition than when you went in!

Quote from: Sadie79
Re: setting - yeah, fair enough, I'll keep it there then. Good point about the two being driving distance, makes for a good get-out clause Wink Hmm, maybe Buzz is based in Nevada? That'd make sense. I hope :angel: Makes for some interesting scenarios later on, been going crazy with research into certain laws of that state. In that way, AZ and NV are very different, despite being so close to each other.

I wonder if Strangetown is an allusion to Roswell, New Mexico?  I only drove through that area, so I have no idea how they speak.  I don't think Americans are as obsessive as us Brits though, because I remember in the Harry Potter fandom, the British members would harp on the Americans for the Dursleys driving on the freeway, saying "gotten," and eating cookies.  I've yet to hear the Americans say "oh, but Buzz Grunt wouldn't say that/or eat that/do that."

Anyway, great update!  Good show! Jolly good!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:17:35 am by joe_mulcahy » Logged

To General Buzz Grunt, war is a way of life, but now the very lives of all who dwell in Strangetown are in danger. Will his sons crumble beneath his heavy hands? Watch the events play out in Strangetown Conspiracy A film series by Joe Mulcahy and Avatar Arkmage
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2008, 12:44:44 pm »

Sorry it's taken me so long to get here to read your newest chapter, Sadie.  I've been really sick.  Still am, but I think I'm getting better.

I lived in Arizona for many years before moving up to the NE near the Great Lakes.  Beautiful country there, so much to see.  The Painted Desert is indeed gorgeous, and I got the pleasure of seeing it once on vacation in the winter with snow everywhere.  Breathtaking.  Boy do I miss the mountains and cactus!

I liked this update.  I, too, love the way you did the flashback pictures - very nice.  The whole scene with Ophelia and Tank on the couch was well done - and I love the way she takes charge of the situation - he can use someone so stable in his life right now that things are going funky.  And I can't wait to see how she fixes him up!  I hope we get to tag along on the shopping trip!  I also hope we get to see Olive's reaction to paying for it all, lol.  In my game she's always part of the welcoming comittee and always starting stuff with her new neighbors.  Cracks me up everytime.  They all regret moving in, I'm sure.

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2008, 02:54:21 pm »

@Joe: Yikes! Good job indeed that Ripp didn't go there... but then, with the Smiths being civilians (since they took Ripp to hospital), their knowledge of all things military is pretty limited. About Peter, I've noticed no one ever picked up on the change of name I gave - which is good, since no one's complained either Cheesy I dunno why Maxis didn't give him a civilian name, if I'm honest, since they describe him as wanting to live among humans. Funny how, right at the start, his family is shown as so much more stable - that's where I got the set up for them from, in fact - and being alien, the chances of him falling foul of human judgement etc. is pretty slim, so it'd follow he'd be that much more understanding of his son's predicament than Buzz was of his. (Jenny's such a sweetheart too, couldn't portray her any other way :love2:)

@Ari: I know, I posted in your other thread Sad Arizona does sound like a nice country - although on doing some homework, I also noticed it's not as liberal as other states. Would be good for a holiday though Smiley About Tank - LOL Of course you get to tag along on the shopping trip Wink One thing you'll all need to remember though - Tank may be better behaved and more caring than he was, but he still takes a lot after his father. Okay he's nicer, but he's no less intense, for a start... that alone's given me ideas for a bit of light relief Cheesy The thing about most men as well, is that they tend to be easier to please on a shopping trip. My brother certainly is, and so's Dad from what I remember (it's been a while), so Olive shouldn't get that much of a heart attack... Wink

Glad you both enjoyed the update, anyway Cheesy

No requests please
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2008, 06:36:38 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79;1225291
About Peter, I've noticed no one ever picked up on the change of name I gave - which is good, since no one's complained either Cheesy I dunno why Maxis didn't give him a civilian name, if I'm honest, since they describe him as wanting to live among humans.

Actually, I think we all noticed, but I guess nobody had an issue with it.  I like him with a human name anyway.  It does seem like he would want to mesh more than Maxis let on with the name it gave him.

Myself, I took a leaf from Madame Ugly;  I renamed him Paul (since he's a PAULinator.  LAWL.) in my game.  Of course, that was before old Crumplebutt got herself vamped and my game borked.  So, yeah, reinstall was called for.  I went a little crazy because of that.

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:18 am »

I'm with Hooligan, I noticed, but didn't comment. I mean, I thought - hey, brilliant idea! That's so much easier to say! But there is so much else good about the story that that detail got buried. *flatter flatter* Smiley

BTW are we going to learn any more about Johnny and his mysterious martial arts teacher? I thought originally that might be the thrust of the story, and then boy lurve broke out... Smiley
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2008, 06:34:34 am »

@Hooligan: We're both thinking on the same lines then - there's a reason I renamed him PeTer... Wink

@steelguy: Haha, yeah, you'll learn more about his tutor - that's coming in a few story-days. They need to get this hellish weekend out of the way first Wink Oh, just a FYI.. you might laugh/hate me for some of it, but it sets a scene for the sequel - saying no more than that :angel:

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

I'd like to give a huge thank you to my Picture Perfect mentors Nextor and Jessi for helping me improve my pics! xxx Doesn't help when sims refuse to co-operate, but anyway...

Will also add credits to the first post, since I'm using someone else's lots this time - remakes of the original comm lots, to be precise. Apologies for the delay...

While Tank rinsed away the remnants of blond stubble from the razor blade, its owner was helping Ripp back to the house, his arm hooked loosely yet fondly around his waist. Peter was first to reach the door, and cocked his head in mild surprise as his black eyes caught sight of Ophelia, who was waiting patiently on the couch and finishing her now tepid coffee.
“Hello!” he greeted as he entered, not hiding his puzzlement.
“Hey,” she replied, “Don’t mind me, I’m waitin' for Tank.”
“Ah, okay,” he acknowledged, his curiosity satisfied. “How’re you doing?”
“Well as can be expected, given what he’s been tellin’ me,” came her blunt response, before she rose expectantly as Johnny granted Ripp first entry. She approached out of concern, wondering if it was a such a bad thing his head was bowed.
“Hey Ripp!” she exclaimed, “You okay? I heard what…”
She trailed off as he lifted his head, not hiding the sorrow and bitterness etched in his battered features.
“You heard, huh?” he mused sourly, before shrugging. “Saves me a job at least.”
“Which is just as well,” Johnny hastily added, “You sit yourself down, I’ll fix us a drink, huh?”
“Sit with him,” Peter instructed, breaking into the language native to his kind as he did so, “I’ll fix the drinks – he needs you with him.”
Johnny briefly lowered his head in sad acknowledgement, before taking a seat and inviting Ripp to sit on his lap. Ophelia sat by them as the oldest made for the kitchen.

“So what did he tell you?” Johnny asked.
“Just that there was this fight,” she shrugged, “That an’ how he got a shiner. The moment ‘e said their dad caught you both I got worried, if I’m honest.”
Ripp snorted bitterly in reply, but otherwise remained quiet as he chose to nestle into Johnny’s chest, much like a little boy would his mother. In return, Johnny caressed his head and combed his hair with his fingers, occasionally pecking his crown as he held him close. Ophelia couldn’t help but notice how child-like Ripp had become since the incident, even from when he got inside the door.
“He also said how he got you all outta there,” she explained, addressing Ripp, “You’re better off out of it.”
Tears stung Ripp’s eyes as early memories flooded his mind.
“I knew that years ago,” he murmured, “I asked Mom to take me with her when she left.”
Ophelia wore a sad expression as she eyed him.
“Maybe some things happen for a reason,” she suggested, “Tank would be no better off if you’d left. Look how you’ve helped him…”
Ripp shrugged in reply, a tear seeping from his eye as he spoke.
“Wouldn’t have given Dad any reason to get p***ed off,” he pointed out.
“Hey, come on,” Johnny admonished gently, “Don’t start that again.”
“It’s true!” Ripp protested, pulling away from Johnny’s grip, “He’s always hated me!”
Tank had seen enough. Leaving the foot of the stairs, he strode over to squat by Ripp’s side.

“Hey Junior,” he began in a firm tone, “Dad’s the one with the problem, okay? His fault he can’t accept how much you take after Mom, his fault he couldn’t go to his punch bag instead o’ usin’ you as one…”
“My fault he got so mad in the first place…”
“He has a short fuse!” Tank exclaimed, “He’s also f***ed in the head, that ain’t down to you or any of us.”
“I called him an asshole,” Ripp reminded him, his voice raising, “I told him to finger himself so he’d stop poppin’ off about gay guys, dropped massive hints about my sex life… How the f*** can you say I’m not to blame for this??” he finished, jabbing a finger at his bruised face.
Tank’s head lowered as he nursed his brow, his teeth embedded deeply into his tongue. Ripp’s last point was something he wanted to talk with him about, but now was certainly the worst time to do so. He was showing signs already that he may be regretting his actions, Tank pondered, and he was laying far too much guilt at his own door as it was.
“Look,” he replied carefully, “We come out with all kinds of crap when we’re mad. You had plenty of reason to be p***ed at him; the way he’s already been with you, an’ then blows a gasket over somethin’ as stupid as a goodbye kiss. He wouldn’t even ask where you’d be goin’ when you went out…!”
Tank hadn’t meant to pick up on anything, but his voice trailed off as it occurred to him that was probably what he was up to on his “outings”. It was a good job their father never asked; if he’d caught Ripp out on a lie and demanded the truth, it was very likely this recent incident could have happened a lot sooner.
“Yeah?!” Ripp addressed, seemingly oblivious to his brother’s inner misgivings, “There you go, he hates me.”
“He doesn’t…” Tank started, but before he had the chance to wonder how he could explain such a statement, Ripp had interrupted with his voice raised in anger and bitterness.
“Bulls***!!” he yelled back, “Everythin’ I ever did was wrong; I was too soft, lazy, messy, he’d f***in’ tidy my room, the bastard…”
“He’s a disciplinarian ain’t he,” Tank stated, “Probably makes a great general, but he confuses work with home… You pointed that out yourself!”
Ripp cradled his head in his hand as he struggled to process the bombardment of negative thinking he was experiencing. Eventually he gave up and collapsed back into Johnny’s arms in a hysterical weeping fit.
Tank momentarily stroked his brother’s brown mane, thankful that he hadn’t brought up his own treatment of him, as the eldest of the two was already feeling the guilt gnaw away at his heart. Despite his reformed behaviour, the standing up for him in times of need and offering to look out for him, he was finding it increasingly hard to live with himself. Watching his younger brother as he wept, he knew only some of those tears were directly down to their father. True, it was his teaching to blame for Tank’s old way of thinking, but he had still inflicted some of the pain now affecting Ripp so badly.

After a while it all got too much for him, and he hastily left the comforting to Johnny as he sought a release of his own.

“Why can’t we just be normal??” he cried, “I’d give anything to have parents like Johnny’s instead…”
“Tank?” a female voice called out in concern.
Tank’s head sank as he guessed at the owner of the voice, reluctant in his turning to face her.

“Hey,” she greeted sadly as she approached.
“Hey,” he replied, allowing himself a disheartened sigh. “Sorry, I just…”
“Can’t take any more?” she finished expectantly, “We all get there at some point.”
“I ain’t there just yet,” Tank reassured emptily, “Not far off though.”
“Understandable, given everythin’ that’s happened,” she said, “Nothin’ to be ashamed of, y’know.”
“It’s not shame,” Tank told her, before gesturing with his arms, “Look around you. My fifteen year old brother is in pieces, f*** knows how Buck’s gonna take all this – he’s just a baby! Someone’s gotta hold us together…!”
“You can’t take it all on yourself,” Ophelia told him, “You’ll only crack sooner if you try.”
Tank lowered his head, idly wondering whether that wasn’t already beginning to happen.

The heavy footsteps seemed to echo through the empty house as Buzz walked along the landing. His fingers ran gently along the wooden panelling of the doors as he approached, coming first to Ripp’s room. He stepped inside, a dry smile playing upon his lips as he noted this was probably the tidiest he’d seen it, although he frowned as he spotted old crockery still laying where they’d been left. Instinctively he went about the room to gather them into his hands, before leaving for the kitchen to fill the sink and place the oddments in soak.

After shutting off the taps, Buzz stared absently into the water, his fingers travelling around the edge of the enamel appliance as memories drifted through his mind. The amount of times he’d berated Ripp on this topic, although now he gave a weak, fond smile as he already felt the children were conspicuous by their absence.
You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone…
So true, Buzz mused with a heavy heart. Ripp may be a slob, but he sure gave life to the place.
“This is no good,” Buzz muttered to himself eventually, “I need to get out of here for a while.”

“I am no way wearin’ those!”

Ophelia playfully crossed her arms as she eyed her now reluctant makeover subject.
“Just a pair o’ jeans, babes!” she teased with a smile.
Tight jeans!?”
“They ain’t that tight,” she pointed out, “You got nothin’ to be scared of…”
“Yeah I do,” he grumbled, his cheeks beginning to redden. “I get too much attention down there as it is…”
Ophelia burst into a fit of giggles, staring at him in mild amazement.
“You think that’s a bad thing?” she challenged, “How many guys would kill for a butt like yours?!”
She had meant to make him feel better about the situation, but as his cheeks deepened in shade it was plain the reverse was true.
“Aw,” she chuckled, slinking up to his side, “We’re gonna have to bring you out a little, aren’t we?”
Tank arched an eyebrow as he pondered how best to get across his true anxieties.
“You think that’s all I’m worried about…?” he began, his cheeks continuing to burn.
“Enlighten me,” she proposed, cocking her head in a mixture of curiosity and amusement.
“Ah man,” he muttered under his breath.

“Um,” he faltered, “Well, there are delicate goods down there, and…”
Ophelia erupted into laughter as the penny dropped.
“They ain’t gonna get crushed if that’s…” she started, but Tank eyed her squarely as he awkwardly rubbed at his neck, his humiliation growing by the second.
“No, that ain’t the… well, okay, it’s another concern, but…” he hedged, tugging uncomfortably at the front of his shorts, “As I was sayin’, checkin’ out my ass is bad enough…”
“Oh, I get it,” she grinned, “You don’t see Ripp or Johnny worryin' about that with their jeans…”
“I don’t mean this in a bad way,” Tank interrupted, resigning himself to having to spell out the nature of his problem, “Far from it, in fact… but Ripp an’ Johnny ain’t got as much to pad ‘em out with!”
Ophelia’s jaw momentarily hit the floor, before she quickly pulled it into check. She was now faced with the dilemma of whether or not to try keeping a straight face, as Tank felt sure enough of himself to continue.
“You get it now?” he checked, “There’s a reason I wear baggy pants…”
“Like that’s somethin’ to be ashamed of?!” she exclaimed, pushing the garments into his hands, “Go on!”
Tank’s lip curled in disapproval, before shrugging and sloping off to the changing room.

“Ow…”
Ophelia allowed herself a snigger as his grumbles filtered through the curtain, trying her best to stifle her giggles. His next complaint told her she hadn’t tried hard enough.
“It’s not funny!”
“Ah come on, quit moanin’!” she laughed, “Bet they look great on.”
“That’s what worries me.”
“Hey, look good, feel good, right?”
“I’d look better in baggy pants.”
“Why don’tcha let me be the judge of that, huh?” she hinted, “Let’s have a look!”
“Ah man…”
“I’ll go in an’ drag you out if I gotta,” she threatened playfully.
“Oh alright,” he reluctantly complied, before venturing outside his shelter and hesitantly checking his reflection in the mirror.

The giggles promptly stopped as she was faced with a new task, that of keeping her tongue inside her mouth as she allowed her eyes to travel.
“They're too tight,” he frowned as he gave the snug denim a pull. “I think I need a bigger size.”
“You just sayin’ that, or are they really not comfy?”
“No, I ain't just sayin' it,” he told her, empathising his discomfort with a wince as he tugged at the front of his jeans.
“Fair enough,” she acknowledged, but as he made for the changing room, she took another chance to admire his well-developed lower torso as it strained against the fabric.

The large familiar figure ambled through the mall, his green eyes gazing briefly into windows while his thoughts travelled elsewhere. Perhaps not surprisingly, some of the other people present reacted with hostility on catching sight of him, but the man merely waved a dismissive hand and continued on his way, until he spotted the couple on the bench.

“Don’t fiddle!” she admonished, slapping his hand away from his eyebrow.

Tank shrugged as he dropped his arm. “Just feels weird,” he slurred as he surveyed the bags, “You sure she’ll be okay with this?”
“Sure, especially with this,” she winked in reply, indicating her own change of look, “I’ll jus’ tell her we both needed a change.” She then combed her fingers through his hair as she continued. “Next step, grow that out a little,” she finished as she studied his one reminder of his past army desires.
“Yeah, I know,” he frowned, rubbing at the stubble at the base of his neck before holding a hand in front of his mouth.
“You okay?” she smiled, “How’s your tongue?”
Tank raised an eyebrow as he struggled to respond.
“Sore,” came the simple reply.
“Not too sore, I hope?” she invited hopefully, snuggling close to him.
Tank merely shook his head with a smile as he slipped an arm round her shoulders, pulling her nearer.
“Thanks,” he managed to say as he took her into his arms.
“My pleasure,” she grinned in reply, “Glad you finally approve!”
Tank smiled dryly as he moved forward in one simple movement, placing a soft kiss on her lips. Their grip tightened on each other’s bodies as the flame ignited within, their mouths locking together as they shared the growing warmth between them.

“Tank?” he quizzed no one in particular as he slowly approached, keeping his distance while continuing to watch them, folding his arms as he did so.

So Tank has a girlfriend now? … Interesting catch… and what on Earth is he wearing?!
Does it matter? At least he’s happy.
Puh… he’ll be growing his hair out next. Some army boy he turned out to be, huh?
Yeah… but is that such a bad thing? Look what it’s done to us all… and by “us”, I don’t just mean you and the kids. It f***ed up Dad something bad, didn’t it? He was a lot worse than you have been.
I know…
It’s not too late to turn things around. You know at least where you crossed the line, something Dad never seemed to do.
Dad was always drunk. I’m not.
Because watching him that way was enough to put you off the very thought of alcohol. You’ve already shown you want for there to be change. There just seems to be this barrier, something stopping you completely breaking the chains… what is that?
… I wish I knew… I really do. I can’t help but feel this scar has something to do with it, too.
To do with what? Why you hit Tank?
Exactly that… there was something in his eyes that struck me as too close to home. I don’t know what, but until I unravel this mystery, there’s no way can I hope to make any progress. I just wish I knew where to start…

No requests please
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:25 am »

Tank with piercings??? :jaw:

Buzz seems to be taking it well. Sort of.

And may I be the first to compliment you on your pictures? :worship:
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2008, 02:28:23 pm »

Thanks! Cheesy About Tank, I did do a bit of experimenting with him to figure what would suit him and what wouldn't. Put it this way, he won't be growing his hair that much... and with a "rock chick" already sporting piercings, did you expect any different? Wink

No requests please
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2008, 04:10:09 pm »

Tank and piercings could be interesting.  Long hair too.
Love the pictures, Sadie!

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2008, 04:30:49 pm »

Thanks Cheesy Just to clarify though, I'm not giving him long hair! It just doesn't work, I've tried. Better short hair, on the other hand - gonna try out a mesh from Windkeeper, see how that looks Smiley

No requests please
CynaraBlade

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »

Yes, I'm still reading! I just haven't been on as much lately. I'm looking forward to seeing Tank's makeover by the way!

:blob6:
Hooligan

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2008, 06:03:53 pm »

Tank + Pants = Lulz.  That amused me greatly.  And he has new holes in his face too.  Smiley

Someday soon I will be finished making all the CC that I need to make my game playable, so I can actually restart stuffs.  I managed to grab everything in my Downloads folder no prob, but I forgot to pull my Saved Sims folder.  With over a hundred hours of work in it.  I contemplated eating a bullet for a couple hours after that while I was reinstalling.  

No worries, tho.  I is all rights nao.  I finished all my eyes (they're even townie friendly now, as well as properly heritable) and I only have to fiddle with HP Idolatry's and get them where I want them now.  

I should be able to play again by Monday.  LOL.  

The Sims 2: We're Not for Everyone, But Then 'Everyone' is a Pretty Unrealistic Demographic
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2008, 02:50:42 pm »

Haha, thanks Cheesy That was my first proper go at comedy, and considering I have a dry, "straight-laced" (as my brother puts it) sense of humour, I was hoping others would appreciate it :angel:

Ouch - don't you hate it when that happens? Good to know you're managing to get it all back anyway. Good luck with the rest Smiley

No requests please
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: