Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:56:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CONFIRMED=== Free Time DOES have SecuRom  (Read 5389 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:34:36 am »

Just got an email confirming it.

The new EP "Free Time" DOES install SecuRom.  :chainsaw:

I need to send a thank you on that email- she just saved me another $35 for yet another game that I would have had to use as a paper-weight. :S

Thought I'd post it for anyone who was "waiting to see".

I guess we get to screw up our pc's or spend our hard earned money on something else this week.

~*~ Donna ~*~
I DO NOT ANSWER ANY PM REQUESTS! PLEASE READ POST#26 AT MY THREAD! *HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,85501.0.html
J00wish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:55:40 am »

You know, more people are just going to use the No CD Crack on their games. I see no harm since the game is paid for, but it's just silly. The SecuRom removal option is ridiculous since most of us play it every day and would have to remove it every day afterwards. Plus... it gorks the game for many. *grumbles* I figured that SecuRom was here to stay... *sigh*

"Cant sleep... Clown will eat me." -- Bart Simpson  

dracine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

At this point, I'm beyond caring. We know how to remove it.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:31:02 am »

I knew my "limey" senses were tingling for some reason.  This was pretty much inevitable since it's a full contract with Sony... figures it would stick.  :?  

As I've said before, they can keep their stuff.  I'm spending my money on other things this time.  It's too much of a risk for my iffy laptop to have that program on it, and I most certainly will be keeping it clean of it.  This thing already has enough problems on its own.  :roll:

PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:29 am »

We already knew it would. All the securom threads started disappearing, etc...they never said they had any intentions of not using or removing it. They can bring in all the outside consultants they want to try and revamp EA's image. Pay them 100,000 of dollars. It's a waste of time and money. The only thing EA needs to do to revamp itself is to open up their ears and listen. Customer satisfactions goes above and beyond any catchy gimick you can come up with, because word of mouth is what sells. Not many have good things to say about EA because they don't listen.

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:05:08 pm »

I am trying to figure out a way to delete everything I ever posted here- including this thread- so if anyone wants to keep this one open -?-

IS there a way to just delete my original post and leave everyone elses?

(I haven't figured out how to delete all of my posts here yet anyway- but am asking in case I do- lol- sorry.)

~*~ Donna ~*~
I DO NOT ANSWER ANY PM REQUESTS! PLEASE READ POST#26 AT MY THREAD! *HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,85501.0.html
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:45 am »

I'm just wondering what securom is. is it something that can mess up the game? (I just bought Free time - the cd/dvd version of it, and I'm thinking about installing it soon)

(I've got an anti-virus programme named "F-secure internet security 2006", and I've not had a virus at all on my comp - as far as I know. I got a warning once, but the virus got deleted. I saw something about viruses in another thread about this SecuROM)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:20:21 am by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 12:46:13 pm »

I'm not going to get into the Securom Issue again. The whole thing is last Jan. Sony was ordered and agreed as part of their settlement not to put it on people's PC's without their knowledge or agreement. Yet here we are again. They have lost every lawsuit they've gone up against with Securom. They have 12 more states currently suing them. Bioware lost their lawsuit on Securom. If you want to know if you have a rootkit on your PC.

You can go here and download this tiny program from Microsoft. It will let you know if you have a rootkit on your PC. It won't remove it, it will just reveal it. On the right side of the page click on download rootkit revealer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

What is a rootkit? Isn't that something that virus writers use?
A rootkit is a powerful piece of software that takes over control of a computer at the most fundamental level. In computer terms, it establishes "root" access, which is similar to administrative access, instead of access for just an ordinary user. It can potentially prevent a computer user from detecting its presence or from performing certain tasks on their own PC.

Computer Associates has labeled the software "spyware".

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:36:45 pm »

I don't really care either way myself.  If we decide to install FT we will just do it on our old pc- that way we don't take a chance on messing up the new one.  Smiley

I just posted it because somewhere (when I was searching for something else) I saw some people posting a "will FT have SecuROm?" only when I got the confirmation I couldn't find my way back to those posts. LMAO

I figured I'd just add the thread here in case anyone was really wanting to know.

I have a friend that installed FT on her brand new laptop.... she says she doesn't know anything about SecuRom but that as far as she can tell her laptop is working as good as it was before she installed the FT.  

Beats me.... >>>>?<<<<

~*~ Donna ~*~
~Angel~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:03:43 pm »

Quote from: PegasusDiana;1154729
I'm not going to get into the Securom Issue again. The whole thing is last Jan. Sony was ordered and agreed as part of their settlement not to put it on people's PC's without their knowledge or agreement. Yet here we are again. They have lost every lawsuit they've gone up against with Securom. They have 12 more states currently suing them. Bioware lost their lawsuit on Securom. If you want to know if you have a rootkit on your PC.

You can go here and download this tiny program from Microsoft. It will let you know if you have a rootkit on your PC. It won't remove it, it will just reveal it. On the right side of the page click on download rootkit revealer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

What is a rootkit? Isn't that something that virus writers use?
A rootkit is a powerful piece of software that takes over control of a computer at the most fundamental level. In computer terms, it establishes "root" access, which is similar to administrative access, instead of access for just an ordinary user. It can potentially prevent a computer user from detecting its presence or from performing certain tasks on their own PC.

Computer Associates has labeled the software "spyware".

Thanks for the link. Showed up Securom as I knew it would. If it hadnt been for this site, I wouldnt have known about Securom, which I think is definately bad of Maxis as we should be aware of what is on our computers. I didnt know about it even before I installed BV, so I have had it on for a while. My computer runs fine, its just awful that we arent told about it.

~Mum to beautiful Ella Rose Isherwood,
              Born 21/10/08~
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:14:02 pm »

The underlying moronism in using securom is, that it doesn't do jack about illegal copies and cracks. So it's pretty much useless unless you consider pissing off buyers a useful issue.

I for one am going for a no cd crack each time I buy a game. I even go so far as to look up the crack before buying, since I'm done with messing with all the copy protections some company sees fit to employ. Most of them ask me to uninstall my virtual drives or even nero.

So, screw them. I won't do anything about the configuration of my rig just to play a darn game.
Grig 32

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »

I just use a NO-CD hack... haven't had any trouble (or any sign) of SecuRom *shrug*
gaylesman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:07:56 pm »

this is the way i see it...

the sims is EA's cash Cow... it has a huge loyalty...doing crap like this is only ruining strong loyalty to the game..yes people might pirate it..they pirate everything anyways..but me for one and alot of people are like me...they want to have all of it..site access and patch access and so on..its easier to buy the game rather than have to screw around all the time to repatch a stupid program...but here they are shooting the customer with a virus

EA Is being Stupid..
BamaBabydoll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:32 am »

I dont know what that is, but I get mine from EA download, so I dont use a cd.  I havent had any problem with it so far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: