Insimenator.org
April 30, 2024, 10:21:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh noes! Killed my game!  (Read 2319 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
tigerfaerie

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:27 am »

So yesterday I decided to try my hand at modifying the game.  No big deal.  I backed up my neighborhood and whatnot.

Well my modding failed and the game crashed before I even went into it.  So I replaced the file I had been playing with, with the original.

Didn't work.

So I uninstalled Nightlife.

Didn't work.

So I uninstalled everything and re-installed everything.

And... it's still crashing during the load scene.  I don't have any downloads currently.  I don't even have my old neighborhood pretending to exist anywhere.  It's a completely fresh install and this is a 2 month old computer its on, so it's not that.

Which means.....

HELP?

I can attach error logs if that will help (you'll have to mention which ones you need).

~*I take HOUSE requests.  And I dabble in clothing here and there too.*~
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:46:25 am »

if you're going to back up anything, take a back-up of the ENTIRE game (all folders - though the DL folder isn't neccessary to backup, exept if you're going to uninstall a game). Only backuping the neighbourhood folder won't help, because there's other files that are modifyed every time you play than the ones you find there.

and what exactly were you trying to modify? might help...

and the best thing is to install the games in the same order that you did the first time, if you're using a backup (I think), or things might go wrong when you try installing it over again. I always save a backup of the latest games and use that when I'm starting over, so I only have to uninstall/install one game. (backup dl folder and other things, uninstall game, put in backup of all games up to the new, install game again, and play Cheesy). but I have to say that I usually start over again on a new game when I'm installing a new EP.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:52:03 am by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
tigerfaerie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:52:57 pm »

Oh doesn't matter at this point.  I'm not trying to restore my neighborhood any more.  Just get the game to work.

Basically I reinstalled everything, from basegame thru NL (which is all I have).  Only once did NL actually load.  When I'm in the loading screen, I'm getting the 'This application has crashed.  It will now close' error.  It worked fine on this computer before so I don't understand why it's not now.  I have no hacks or cc on my computer currently (deleted it all when reinstalling in hopes of at least getting something to work).

It will load if I go thru just basegame or uni.  Just not NL.  Not sure what else to do.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:06:38 am »

but what exactly were you trying to modify? it might have caused the troubles in the other files (some of the sims-files are not just saved in the EA games folder, but also another place on your computer: my computer - c: - proogram files - EA Games - one folder for each game you've got. it's here the games themselves are stored)

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
tigerfaerie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:45:30 pm »

Right.  I understand that.  But I did uninstall everything and re-installed everything fresh, so those previous files shouldn't exist (even checked to make sure they were gone when I started having issues).

And it was the objects file I modified.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:54:36 am »

well, then I don't know.

My site:

amc462000
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:50 am »

uninstall everything. go into program files and delete the EA files left. then reinstall from Sims 2 on up. it will not work if there are still EA files hanging around in program files on your computer.
tigerfaerie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:46:23 pm »

Tried that a couple of times.

But now I've got it kinda working.  It will still crash if I click on the desktop icon  to play.  But if I take the disk out and let it autoload, it's fine.

But that's something.  I'll take what I can get.

Thanks guys. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: