Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 12:30:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with TV and Computer  (Read 2487 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
abaris

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:20:11 am »

I'm running the Sims on Vista 64 with an ATI Radeon 3800.

The game in itself runs smoothly. Problem is, that whenever some kind of cinematic routine should run on PCs or on the Tv set, the screen stays blank. I already have installed the latest drivers and fiddled with the ingame and card settings, but ot no avail.

Anyone else encountered that kind of problem under similiar circumstances?
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »

This is a very well-known problem, and the cure is not known. I had it myself, until I got NL, and then it solved itself. I've read where the ATI card is to blame for this glitch and that Maxis is well aware of it, but I don't think they've cured it, either.
I have an Nvidia card, and that hasn't changed. Don't know what changed in NL, but it's cured.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »

Thanks, Mary for that info. Might just out my nvidia card back in. Problem is, that nvidia isn't able to provide decent drivers for quite some time now. That's why I switched to ATI.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:25:26 pm »

I have an Nvidia 5500, and didn't seem to have any problems getting drivers-(hubby did this). Hope your putting your card back in will help solve your problem with the video thing-such a small detail, but it does irritate!

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:52 am »

abaris - the problem isn't with nvidia or their drivers... the problem is solely on the shoulders of EA here, nvidia's drivers are tested by microsoft and shown to work... ever notice EA never makes any similar claoms about their software?

EA cuts corners and writes "unique" and "copyrightable" code... read that as they do it as "a miracle it works 90% of the time"

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:07:46 am »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1180288
abaris - the problem isn't with nvidia or their drivers... the problem is solely on the shoulders of EA here, nvidia's drivers are tested by microsoft and shown to work... ever notice EA never makes any similar claoms about their software?

Oh, actually I'm a big fan of Microsoft's flight Simulators and nvidia isn't able to provide working AA and VS for these apps for quite some time now, although they know about that problem.

My solution will probably be to run the ATI card on my stronger machine and the nvidia one on my second as a Sims only rig.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: