Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 07:25:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's going to get the The Sims 3?  (Read 70096 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Swisswitch

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2009, 09:08:53 am »

[quotjavascript:void(0); :cool:e author=roerzman link=topic=76489.msg1492323#msg1492323 date=1236369608]

regardless of what the bean counters are telling ea headquarters, a very large number of the sims comunity will never pay for cutom content, and also a very large number of the sims comunity think that tsr is badly on the nose and will have no dealings with it whatever, no mater how much ea games and thomas try to dress it up for the comming release of the sims3.
[/quote]

I have learned of the controversies on TSR only accidentally, but like any good can of worms I learned that opening it brought forth more and more of the ugly little things. I followed a couple of links and read coconut's blog, which is very eye-opening! Like so many others I bought a 12-month-subscription at TSR, but already decided not to renew it.

That said I do think, even if it's a hobby, good creative work deserves a fair price and I have found a number of sites where very creative people make gorgeous stuff. If they ask money for some of their stuff, very little money at that, that's fine with me - a fair exchange.

To answer the original question - I'm one of those who will wait and see how the game comes on. I'm not in a hurry to buy it at all. I'm sure I'll give it at least a year as I'm still busy enough with the Sims 2
pradad0llnana

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2009, 10:26:39 am »

i am definantly positivly sure that i am going to buy it the first day it comes out because the sims 2 is nice and all and i will mos likely still play it but who in their right mind wants to be restricted to their houses i mean the sims 3 has better social chances and ppl are each diffrent from each other its just more real and the more real the better it is. its also better for the sims directors to make movies and so on and so forth anything that was missing in the sims 2 its in the sims 3 so why not go and buy it?
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:24 am »

I doubt I will personally invest money into the Sims 3 because it seems as though I would predominantly be paying only for better graphics and a seamless neighborhood. And with Pescado raving about the restrict custom content we can create regarding hacks like the insimenator, I think I'm just better off saving the 50 or so dollars. If it weren't for custom content, I would have uninstalled the Sims 2 and never bought those expansion packs by now.

Of course, I may change my mind later if reviews are fair. I often agree with Gamespot's analysis, if they submit a good review for Sims 3 I may purchase it.

But its little things that would make this game much better than the seemingly failed attempt it is--like gas stations, police stations, tall buildings (rather than myself making them all the time), oil rigs, etc....

I am only hoping that another developer creates a franchise similar to the Sims, only better and more in-depth, and blows EA and Maxis off the map. They would deserve it for trying to sell us such uninspired junk.

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2009, 12:15:35 pm »

i am definantly positivly sure that i am going to buy it the first day it comes out because the sims 2 is nice and all and i will mos likely still play it but who in their right mind wants to be restricted to their houses i mean the sims 3 has better social chances and ppl are each diffrent from each other its just more real and the more real the better it is. its also better for the sims directors to make movies and so on and so forth anything that was missing in the sims 2 its in the sims 3 so why not go and buy it?

Simple answer----Securom, clay looking Sims, and the very likely hood free custom content will be limited or not even available.

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »

Roxy pretty much hit it on the nail. For the "Casual" Sims player, those things might not be enough to deter you from buying TS3. But about 70% of the members here on InSIM alone are NOT casual players. I'm not a "Die Hard" Sims player, but I do put in at the least 14-18 hours a week playing the game. And like most people creating custom content is a big part of it. Who wants sims all dressed in similar clothes, living in similar lots with similar furnishings? No one, that's who. And being able to create my own or download content from other users is part of the process of it as well. But the key is THERE'S NO MIDDLE MAN. If it's from a paysite, ok. You make a lil' donation to the site and get what you're looking for. If it's from a free site, even better. You DL it, thank the creator for sharing and keep it movin'. But once you start talking about content not only being available on one site, but having to pay a fee just to access it, that's wrong on all possible levels. I'll use XBox Live for example. Downloadable Content is available for tons of games. Recently Capcom released a DLC pack for Street Fighter 4 that has new attires for the female characters, of which you have to pay a small fee to download. That's TOTALLY acceptable. The content is coming from the publisher themselves, so they have full right to do so. About 75% of the major CC for Sims games DOESN'T come from the publisher, EA. It comes from individual creators. EA might release a few items here and there, as well as obvious stuff packs and so on, but nothing on the lines of what the CC creators churn out.

So you take that into account when and/or if it's confirmed that TSR & The Exchange ends up being the only place for TS3 content. You'd end up having to subscribe to access said content. Where's the money go, hmmm? Damn sure doesn't go to the creator in full, does it? Nope. TSR would take a percentage, and EA would take a percentage. Anyone else seeing something wrong with this? If I'm going to actually fork over cash for a DL, I want my cash to go to the person who put in the time and effort to MAKE the content. All EA did was make the game. The content is and should be the SOLE property of the creator. It's like the Creative Commons licensing agreement in music. There are various computer programs that can and are used to make music, such as Frooty Loops & Reason (Which I use both). Just because the music is MADE using the programs, it doesn't make said material property of companies that published/distributed the software. It's YOUR creative property, not theirs. Same thing should go for CC and TS3. The problem is no one for some reason is taking EA to task on the issue because it's a video game that costs 50 bucks as opposed to an advanced piece of software that costs 400. But it all falls into the same category. It's like someone who makes Airbrushed T-Shirts. You go out, you buy a bunch of solid color T-shirts, bring them back to your studio, do you work on them, and sell them yourself. Should the company that manufactured the shirts get any residuals for it? Hell no!!! They got their money already. Once a product is in your possession, as long as you're infringing in the manufacturer/distributor/publishers copyrights, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it.

Another rant, I know. But EA is good for monopolizing an intellectual property. Look at what the did to the NFL with that Madden series of games? It's why Major League Baseball opted out of dealing with EA Sports, because they didn't want their IP to be limited to only one distributor. EA needs to be taken to task on this. The problem is no one really has the stroke to do so and make any headway in their effort.

Feisty32
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:38 pm »

well i will tell you why i won't buy it. Grin
1.securom
2.the ugly graphics and ugly playdoh looking sims
3.the game sounds to realistic and i won't play a game that is so realistic such as ts3 too boring
4.EA doe'snt give a damn about their loyal customers/fans
5.none of what i have read thus far will ever get me to buy ts3

and even though i'm a subscriber over there as for the tsr no matter how hard they try to get peeps to download from their site only they will fail miserably with me and i have always been and will always be loyal to free sites such as insimenator and modthesims2 and others. Grin

and even though they might be doing illegal things i'm not gonna say anything about it cause eventually what there doing will come and bite them right back in the butt so i'm not gonna do or say anything about the controversies i'm just not gonna worry about it.  Grin
Ali
Short, fat n Cuddly!
Admin

I got a luverly bunch of c.... oops, wrong site!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2009, 02:59:46 am »

the thing that puts me off the most is the weird freaky looking sims. I must admit, in a moment of weakness I did pre-order it, but that was before they put the date back and before a lot of the recent info became known. Now, I'm not so sure.

Personally, I've never had any problems with Securom but that doesn't mean I take chances - I don't use the disc to play and I bypass the launcher. If that is not something that is available for Sims 3 then I don't think I'll be bothering to get it

"They're a rum lot, the Yorkshire folk. You can't fool them, you certainly can't get away with much and they call a spade a spade. Or rather, they call a spade 'a bloody shovel'" Mark Addy
Feisty32
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2009, 03:06:18 am »

i'm to scared to buy ts3 it's that securom i'm scared to death of lol. Grin
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2009, 05:25:30 am »

SecuRom is indeed something to be scared of-it's damned difficult to remove without instructions, and there's always the chance of it coming back to infect your computer if you're not careful.
As for those who think it's not dangerous, what would it cost you to replace your hard drive if it went up in smoke from SecuRom (as has been the case)?
When you look at new systems, that is terrifying to find out.
Better to avoid the entire problem, but aside from that, the new game just doesn't have what it takes to get me interested. Not an improvement on Sims 2, and probably a downgrade.
Sims Societies replayed in Sims format.
Simple as that.

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:38 am »

In a nutshell, while the game is adding a lot of new bells and whistles, it also seems to be taking away from the core aspects of it that make it "The Sims". This isn't the 1st time EA has totally F'd up a franchise. The Need For Speed Series of racing games had been for YEARS one of the best in the genre. But then EA releases NFS Underground, NFS Underground 2, NFS Most Wanted, NFS Carbon, NFS Pro Street and finally NFS Undercover. The only one of that series of releases that even remotely had success was Most Wanted, because it took things back to the old days of the series, where you raced fast cars and avoided the cops by any means necessary. The other games were just EA releasing garbage to try and hook the "casual" gamer just to make a buck and capitalize on the popularity of all of the recent racing films. Same can be said about TS3. There's nothing that they've announced that personally captures my interest as far as the new stuff, and no mention of any of the old features we've all come to know and love. About the only feature that's caught my attention is the traits feature, but is that alone enough to convince me to make a purchase when the rest of the game looks to be a total let down? Not a chance. The sad part is, their still gonna market the crap out of it the next few months and hook all of the newbie (damn that Newbie Family) users into buying it.

Eliskuya in darkness

spinning around and around au au au!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:55 am »

well I am geting it for sure. my step mother well let me get sim games.  Grin tehehe
Hanomaru
Lurky McLurkface

I'll just leave this here.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »

Reading all this about TSR and SecuROM and things has changed my mind. I'm not giving my money to a company whose lack of business sense is so blatant that even I mumble "shame, shame." Piracy is out of the question, though. Maybe I'll buy it anyways.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:08:40 pm by Hanomaru » Logged

"You're telling me that fifty million screaming friends are never wrong?
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming friends are $&@%ing morons."
James Euringer
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2009, 03:39:33 am »

After reading info on all the sims 3 will be lacking in the community, I have no interest. Looks like EA is teaming with TSR (if you believe that) giving exclusive rights to the "developers tool" that will enable creators to make new CC. Then if you want something new for your game, you can fork over your cash to Thoma$$ @ TSR and get it. How nice of them?

Since EA wants to control all aspects of sharing and creating, then the community will not be the same, and I know my game will be awful cause I will not pay 50 dollars for a game, then be charged who knows what, to get some cc in.  Bleh  Swear

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
Feisty32
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:00 am »

i have had a very bad feeling from the get go that game is not gonna sell good. Undecided

and this is the first only and time i will subscribe to tsr i'm just gonna download til my subscription runs out thanks to my fellow simmers who were kind enough to warn me even though i have read about tom i really do appreciate and thank my fellow simmers for warning me. Grin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:00:40 am by Feisty32 » Logged
ScottRobin
Venting CyberBug

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2009, 08:50:18 am »

EA Games has certainly managed to make itself about as popular as a soggy bag full of dead rat innards left stewing in the hot sun for three weeks, with not only the Sims community, but with gamers at large.

I agree that the only redeeming value about ts3 is the possibilities of a more complex trait system.
But that just isn't enough for me to have this abomination justified.
The graphics are mundane and make no improvements that have not already been made though the talent of CC creators.
You can get a much more realistic face on a Sim in ts2 using a downloaded skin than we see present in ts3.
To me, everything about this game screams that it is not worth the polycarbonate it is imprinted on.

I chose to walk the path less traveled...
Now where the hell am I?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: