Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 08:26:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's going to get the The Sims 3?  (Read 69998 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Hanomaru
Lurky McLurkface

I'll just leave this here.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2009, 08:08:10 am »

Custom content is what makes the game so damned good, so that needs to stay in order for me to want it at all, unless they add some adventure to it.  Maybe era specific simming?
Good God, sir, I do believe all my dreams have consolidated themselves into one specific idea. It'd probably never happen, though; it's not quite mainstream enough to sell to the unwashed masses.

Oh, and hey: imagine all the people who want to get The Sims 3, but don't have any Internet connection at all. It's more common than one would think. They'd spend $60, get home, open it up, install and then the game's all like "Uh-huh. NO." Unless, of course, they got wind of SecuROM somehow or they bothered to look at the min.req.s, in which case that's $60 less for EA. So it seems to be just a bad business decision all around, which is getting less and less surprising as the business world becomes more and more of a cannibalistic, self-mutilating mosh pit.

I suspect we're in the midst of a farce. A big, smelly farce.

"You're telling me that fifty million screaming friends are never wrong?
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming friends are $&@%ing morons."
James Euringer
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »

There still appears to be a lot of misunderstanding about securom. I'll attempt to clarify it somewhat if I may.
Securom is a program, an application that can disable some of the core features of windows, it can't physically damage the hardware of the pc.it will shut down your dvd reader/burner and also your usb. ports if you attempt to copy their crap via a plug and play device thereby rendering your pc. useless.
To rid yourself of securom isn't overly hard, although i wouldn't recommend it for the novice.
The requirement for an internet connection is called windows live, that's why one of the system requirements is service pack 2 for XP or service pack 1 for VISTA. This has nothing whatever to do with securom, it's a windows application, securom is not,it's Sony malware.
Windows live is now a requirement of many recent games. It is used for product activation, and if written into the game an activation cycle or an uninterrupted link with the host server. (just like steam)

I hope this clarifies things somewhat.
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2009, 05:53:04 pm »

There still appears to be a lot of misunderstanding about securom. I'll attempt to clarify it somewhat if I may.
Securom is a program, an application that can disable some of the core features of windows, it can't physically damage the hardware of the pc.it will shut down your dvd reader/burner and also your usb. ports if you attempt to copy their crap via a plug and play device thereby rendering your pc. useless.
To rid yourself of securom isn't overly hard, although i wouldn't recommend it for the novice.
The requirement for an internet connection is called windows live, that's why one of the system requirements is service pack 2 for XP or service pack 1 for VISTA. This has nothing whatever to do with securom, it's a windows application, securom is not,it's Sony malware.
Windows live is now a requirement of many recent games. It is used for product activation, and if written into the game an activation cycle or an uninterrupted link with the host server. (just like steam)

I hope this clarifies things somewhat.

I don't mind having to activate online or whatever.  I just think that it's highly suspicious when they want to have an uninterrupted connection to my computer in order for me to use their software.  It's like renting a house, but there will a van with blacked out windows parked across the street at all times...  As far as Windows Live, I may have some components of it, but I haven't seen it even though I have XP Pro SP 3.  In fact, just searched the registry for windows live and found 1 entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Clients>Mail>Hotmail.  And now I don't have any references in the registry.

Check out my HubPages for useful computer tutorials.  [link under wolfie]
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2009, 07:58:10 pm »

I don't mind having to activate online or whatever.  I just think that it's highly suspicious when they want to have an uninterrupted connection to my computer in order for me to use their software.  It's like renting a house, but there will a van with blacked out windows parked across the street at all times...  As far as Windows Live, I may have some components of it, but I haven't seen it even though I have XP Pro SP 3.  In fact, just searched the registry for windows live and found 1 entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Clients>Mail>Hotmail.  And now I don't have any references in the registry.

Hmmm...  So my computer freaked out.  shocked  Restarted last good config...  Entry is still gone, though.  Very wierd...

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:51 pm »

Try running an anti spy ware application if you have one,if the application is malicious it should sort it out,Spybot Search and Destroy is excellent for that, if you don't have it, download it, it's free.
As for securom, if it isn't messing anything up then leave it.It's my opinion that Microsoft will eventually release a patch to remove it.They appear to be less than happy with the thing mainly because it disables crucial windows applications and are probably awaiting the outcome of the currant class actions.
Microsoft have always championed the development of drm but got their noses badly out of joint over securom because it basically wrecks your pc. rather then just preventing one from copying a program with securom embedded.
What Sony have done is dust of the software that got them into a whole lot of hot water a few years ago with their audio cds,rewrote the thing for windows and insist that anyone associated with Sony include it in their software. The idiots are so tight and arrogant, they thought they could get away with using the same crap rather then spend the money to develop something new.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:05:16 pm by roerzman » Logged
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:53 am »

Try running an anti spy ware application if you have one,if the application is malicious it should sort it out,Spybot Search and Destroy is excellent for that, if you don't have it, download it, it's free.
As for securom, if it isn't messing anything up then leave it.It's my opinion that Microsoft will eventually release a patch to remove it.They appear to be less than happy with the thing mainly because it disables crucial windows applications and are probably awaiting the outcome of the currant class actions.
Microsoft have always championed the development of drm but got their noses badly out of joint over securom because it basically wrecks your pc. rather then just preventing one from copying a program with securom embedded.
What Sony have done is dust of the software that got them into a whole lot of hot water a few years ago with their audio cds,rewrote the thing for windows and insist that anyone associated with Sony include it in their software. The idiots are so tight and arrogant, they thought they could get away with using the same crap rather then spend the money to develop something new.

I was just looking for Windows Live entries.  I don't have any problem with virii, spy/ad/malware as I use multiple programs to scan my computer on a regular basis.  You can check my HubPages for a list of the programs that I use.  I removed Securom long ago...  Not sure how I got around windows live, but I seem to recall comething about it.  I'll have to get into my *stock* XP Pro installation and check to see what it has to say.  I haven't tweeked it aside from setting the Paging File, System Restore, Indexing Service and Temp. Internet Files.  Everything else was installed with default settings and all updates have been installed.  I guess it could be installed on use, but since I don't use Outlook for mail, Outlook Express at all, Windows Messenger, etc. it hasn't reared its ugly head?  MSN, Windows Messenger and Outlook Express have left my OS, so maybe that's it?

simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2009, 04:33:48 am »

So do i already have this dreaded securom? shocked I have all eps and stuff packs to date.
if so how do i remove it?
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:29 am »

So do i already have this dreaded securom? shocked I have all eps and stuff packs to date.
if so how do i remove it?

You will have to find the appropriate no-CD hack.  Install that and then you can go here:
http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=40
You should back up your registry before you start deleting entries in part two.  Use File>Export to save...
Also it doesn't mention that after you find and delete the first entry, you can use F3 to find the next entry.

Good luck.

simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2009, 04:25:58 am »

Its ays you can reformatt your hard drive? I think I did that already but reinstalled the games so I guess its back, its looks a bit complicated to me so ill have to get someone knowledgable to look at it.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2009, 08:29:46 am »

You'll certainly know if you formated your hard drive,it's something you don't forget in a hurry, "cannot find operating system place windows installation disc in drive e and hit any key to continue" 
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »

You don't want to reinstall the game as it is-that's why Securom is undoubtedly back on your computer-once you get a no-cd exe, you can use that to launch the game from, not the actual exe that uses Securom.

The instructions were recently rewritten for ease of understanding.

Reformatting the hard drive is probably the last ditch effort you ever want to do in any case-and in this case you don't want to.

That loses everything you have on your drive, totally. I would suggest you print out the instructions and re-read them. I do believe that reformatting the drive is only for completely wiping off the drive totally of everything you have installed and it is not one of the steps that is recommended in it.

I'll read them myself again, just to be sure. But if you really want to get it off your computer, have a techie friend read our instructions and do what they say, step by step. They're 99% fool proof, and in case you have any questions, you could even register and ask one of our techies to help you in this.

Edit: I just read through the instructions. I was correct-there is no reformat-just a two part removal guide, and it does not involve removing anything but Securom. You do have to pay careful attention to the steps but it is easier than reformatting!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:49:08 pm by MaryH » Logged

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:12 pm »

In relation to formatting your hard drive, I install a new hard drive rather than format, to format doesn't remove information, it writes over it. To safely rid yourself of some obnoxious application it is far better to discard the old drive and install another,takes about five minutes, and they don't cost much more than a game.
senesi2003
Site Santa!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2009, 07:12:31 pm »

I am definitely going to get it, but I am not giving up my Sims 2 though. I love them!!

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out, I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:33 pm »

Wellllll I know I may sound like a total hypocrite but I have decided since EA has announced that SecuROM won't be shipping with TS3 that I'm going to get it maybe a couple of months or a month after its release because here lately I have become increasingly more bored and bothered with TS2 I guess I am just getting tired of it and am ready for a change and something new and refreshing, I mean c'mon I am normally really phsyced when I get a new EP and I should have been estatic seeing as I finally finished my Sims 2 EP Collection but I was like "Ah Well.." so I checked my computer against SPORE (because I heard someone say on one of the other threads that if your PC could run SPORE than it can run TS3) so I checked and everything checked out good except I need atleast another Gig of memory or maybe 2? Wink so for the question of Who's going to get the Sims 3? I can safely say -->ME!<-- && Plus I knew I would cave and get it anyway but now knowing it indeed won't have SecuROM I am affirmed my decision to get it A.S.A.P Grin
Feisty32
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2009, 04:40:25 am »

SimGirl20 be careful hun cause chances are they'll probably put it back on the game at the last minute just be careful. remember how we were decieved when were not told or had a warning on suckurom when bv came out? Grin

i know i don't buy rod humble saying no suckurom for one minute.something smells rotten in denmark and it is'nt the limburger cheese lol. Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: