Insimenator.org
March 19, 2024, 12:49:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meshes from other games: possible to convert to the Sims?  (Read 2267 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ísarah

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »

I found these meshes and textures and want to put the tanks and the uniforms into the Sims to make a war movie. Is it possible to take clothing meshes & objects from another game and convert them for use in the Sims 2? Sorry if I'm a noob.. :smt120

:smt120
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:04:52 am »

objects is good possible but clothing meshes is just insane to start with.
But i dont see any meshes in the thread.

No longer active
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:54:15 am »

clothing is possible.... let me stress possible, but not a lot of fun to convert -- the problem here arises from the differences in the animation skeletons and level of detail in the mesh -- texture mapping can also be a serious problem.

Objects, well those are easier, but there is no 100% here.  Some objects in a game like the one in the link you provide have animation morphs and animation bones that will be impossible to replicate in The Sims 2 without a great deal of personal suffering.  For instance if you wanted to convert a tank from that game into a drivable car in The Sims 2, you'd need to figure out how to make it so the sims could enter the vehicle -- they certainly couldn't climb the vehicle then crawl down an access hatch since the necessary animations simply do not exist in The Sims 2.

So you end up making sacrifices that in the end may make the effort less rewarding.  I have probably 5000 meshes from other games that I could convert to use in The Sims 2, but for a variety of reasons like copyright infringement and it being a royal pain in the arse, I don't.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: