Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 04:47:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spirituality of The Sims  (Read 4612 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kevida97

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:05:29 am »

DISCLAIMER: I know that this is somewhat of a sensitive subject but we can all discuss this in a mature fashion.

I would like to see some sort of "spiritual life" for the Sims. It could provide a way to network with people as well as be a mood booster. Certain ceremonies could also be held in the place of worship (marriages and what not). Having a "wild card" to help your Sim out occasionaly to represent a "miracle" would be great too!

The problem would be, how do we simulate this without insulting anyone? Considering that Christianity alone has several denominations that are so different from each other that represent a clergyman in a Catholic priest's outfit would bother Protestants and not having said garb would upset Catholics and let's not even begin talking about religions other than Christianity!

One sloution would be to represent ALL religions (good luck with that) and have the sims go to the church of the players choice. Logistically, that could be a nightmare! The only way that would work (in my opinion) is to have the choice on which religion(s) to bring into your game (if any). That way if you want to have an all based town, you can. If you would prefer to have a myriad of religions, you can do that as well. Finally, if you don't want to deal with spirituality at all, you can completely leave it out.

The other solution would be to make a generic place of worship and the player could pretend it is whatever religion that he or she imagines.

Better yet make it generic but the player can have clergy (and others) wear whatever traditional garb of his/her religion. That way the player could still have the religion of his/her choice without anyone being offended.

Thoughts (be respectful)?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:07:04 am by kevida97 » Logged

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:08:39 am »

It could be done like work and school actually.
For each religion they either drive, walk or are picked up to go their service so many times a week.  Before leaving, if their religion calls for it, they may change into a different outfit.  So if their place f worship calls for men to wear suits and women dresses, they'll change into each respectively.  If no certain clothing is required they'll simply leave in every day clothes.

The service may last a different time or take pace at a different time for each sim.  And maybe they can bring someone home from the service who is the same religion as themselves.  So a Christian sim wouldn't bring a Jewish sim home with them.

And, I know of at least one religion that does this but I can't remember the name, if there are certain rituals that take place at home they can do that.  Have to meditate three times a day at a certain time?  They'll drop what they're doing if it's not horribly important and go meditate - like the automatic homework hack does to teens and kids.
Not allowed to eat certain foods?  They simply won't show up in the cook options.

I do think EAxis could make this work if they rally put some effort into the research and development department for this.
That's my two cents.

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Earcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:56:43 pm »

I wish the sims were more spirtual.  They're so materialistic.
Adding religion to The Sims could work if it were a made up one like Llamaism.  They could worship their own made up god, and their high priest could be the Dali Llama.  Or they could worship the "creator", Will Wright.
 There is some Christian cc out there, and I made my own church called Saint Simmons.
PnJz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:31:10 pm »

Turn each religious choice into an expansion pack.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:21:59 pm »

Quote from: PnJz;1226844
Turn each religious choice into an expansion pack.

Now that's a good idea. That way everyone wins, and EA get loads more  cash out of us Wink

Seriously... yeah, that's a nice idea.. and making them EPs might be the only way they could get around the potential for offending some people.

No requests please
Cleo999

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:29 am »

I'd love sims to have the chance of living a less materialistic life.
EA could make up a simreligion (same as thay did with the language), but I think that making a set of EPs would be a better idea!
kevida97

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:29:47 pm »

Quote from: AxelVal;1226347
It could be done like work and school actually.
For each religion they either drive, walk or are picked up to go their service so many times a week.  Before leaving, if their religion calls for it, they may change into a different outfit.  So if their place f worship calls for men to wear suits and women dresses, they'll change into each respectively.  If no certain clothing is required they'll simply leave in every day clothes.

The service may last a different time or take pace at a different time for each sim.  And maybe they can bring someone home from the service who is the same religion as themselves.  So a Christian sim wouldn't bring a Jewish sim home with them.

And, I know of at least one religion that does this but I can't remember the name, if there are certain rituals that take place at home they can do that.  Have to meditate three times a day at a certain time?  They'll drop what they're doing if it's not horribly important and go meditate - like the automatic homework hack does to teens and kids.
Not allowed to eat certain foods?  They simply won't show up in the cook options.

I do think EAxis could make this work if they rally put some effort into the research and development department for this.
That's my two cents.

The first part of your idea is good but I was thinking more of a place that A sim can visit. However, if said Sim would like a clergyperson to perform a ritual at thier home (marriage, funeral, et cetera) then I suppose your idea would work. As far as not bringing a friend for a different religion home, I could take that or leave it. I myself go to both synagouge and church because I honor my father's beliefs by doing the former and my mother's by doing the latter. For the sake of keeping this thing civil I won't go into my beliefs but it would be a great thing of a Sim could go to different places of worship to "find him/herself". Perhaps a Talk sub-menu of "Fellowship" could also be done with friends of similar beliefs that could be handle the same way "Hang Out" is done.

By the whe religion you are thinking of is Islam. They must pray five times a day facing Mecca (thier holy city). As far as the dietary restrictions, yes that would be a great idea, too!

As you all can see, I see The Sims as less a game than a "socialogical simulation"! Smiley

kevida97

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:46 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79;1226906
Now that's a good idea. That way everyone wins, and EA get loads more  cash out of us Wink

Seriously... yeah, that's a nice idea.. and making them EPs might be the only way they could get around the potential for offending some people.

Here, Here! I second that! Of course I'd buy every expansion to add diversity!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:32:45 pm by kevida97 » Logged

kevida97

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:33:22 pm »

By the way, I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this civil!

PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:01:37 pm »

Someone else had an idea for this I thought was wonderful, it was family prayer at the dining table, just clasping their hands together in unity. Then I had read something about charities. Taking food to seniors, passing out food to the homeless. Clothing donation centers, things like that. I thought all these things were awesome. To me, seeing to the spiritual part of our being incorporates how we treat one another just as much as it does as to which church we go too; how we pray.

I think as a whole with a few exceptions like Hindu, Buddist, Wiccan, etc we all believe in one God. I sometimes look around and wonder why is it when so many of us have the same fundamental beliefs in one God is it that were so differing in our beliefs? I always return to the same thing, Religious Leaders. I think about the lost scrolls and "For I have given them the keys to the kingdom of heaven, they've chosen not to enter, nor to allow others to enter." I'd be all for a unity type of prayer. Or gathering for unity in the community. I don't know if I'd buy a bunch of SP's for different religions; although I think it would be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:03:42 pm by PegasusDiana » Logged

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:42:53 pm »

Quote from: kevida97;1228193
The first part of your idea is good but I was thinking more of a place that A sim can visit. However, if said Sim would like a clergyperson to perform a ritual at thier home (marriage, funeral, et cetera) then I suppose your idea would work. As far as not bringing a friend for a different religion home, I could take that or leave it. I myself go to both synagouge and church because I honor my father's beliefs by doing the former and my mother's by doing the latter. For the sake of keeping this thing civil I won't go into my beliefs but it would be a great thing of a Sim could go to different places of worship to "find him/herself". Perhaps a Talk sub-menu of "Fellowship" could also be done with friends of similar beliefs that could be handle the same way "Hang Out" is done.

By the whe religion you are thinking of is Islam. They must pray five times a day facing Mecca (thier holy city). As far as the dietary restrictions, yes that would be a great idea, too!

As you all can see, I see The Sims as less a game than a "socialogical simulation"! Smiley

I didn't think of that but you do make a good point.
*laugh*
Work it like the hobbies do.  They come home and say "Wow, I really enjoyed that.  I hope I can go again next time!"
Or something.  Just a thought.

I did go to a Temple once, and though that was for a class I was taking, I can see your point very well.

I also like the idea of Expansion packs, but instead of doing CDs you buy at the store, maybe a download you have to pay so much money for.  And there's a file you just add to a certain folder per religion.  As long as they don't charge too much that is.

kevida97

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 07:41:22 pm »

Quote from: AxelVal;1231766
I didn't think of that but you do make a good point.
*laugh*

As far as.....

Work it like the hobbies do.  They come home and say "Wow, I really enjoyed that.  I hope I can go again next time!"
Or something.  Just a thought.

Not a bad idea!

I did go to a Temple once, and though that was for a class I was taking, I can see your point very well.

Again, as far as.....
I mean I appreciate your compliments but I'm just a little confused as to what point that you're talking about. Sorry Sad

I also like the idea of Expansion packs, but instead of doing CDs you buy at the store, maybe a download you have to pay so much money for.  And there's a file you just add to a certain folder per religion.  As long as they don't charge too much that is.

Yeah a different download for each different religion would be good. I mean the "Holiday" (oh how I hate that "politically correct" term) pack featured elements of Christmas, Chanukah and Kwanza so a religion pack would be easy (or at least should be).

AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:46 pm »

That people aren't confined to a single religion or place of worship, sims shouldn't be either.
Sorry for confusing you!  Hope that clears it up.

steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 02:55:05 am »

I certainly think that for those that are spiritually inclined, it might be nice that their sims or self-sims can express that. Although I think I'm personally at the limit of expansion packs that my computer system can handle. Wink
Annette1955

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 07:09:47 am »

Not as elaborate as some of your idea's, but I do have some spirituality in my game. Using the objects from here http://moonsims.asi.org/dh-sims-site/sims2index.html the Christian shrine, Tibetan prayer wheel and the Prayable Elvis. As my sims aren't really that serious the Elvis shrine is in more houses than the other objects!

Edit: I see my link skills are poor. You need the Objects section then Decorative Objects and the items I mean are half way down the page.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:12:23 am by Annette1955 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: