Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 08:53:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolutions higher than 1600x1200  (Read 2111 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Simsplayer123

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:56:06 am »

I've been away from the Sims 2 for a while, and in between times, have built myself a new system, which includes a Samsung 30" LCD (my old monitor was a 19" CRT).

Is there a way (other than the -r command line argument which doesn't do anything useful) to set the resolution of the game above 1600x1200?  The native resolution of the monitor is 2560x1600 and anything below 1920x1200 just looks disgusting due to scaling and blurring.

Don't reply worrying about graphics power please, -- I have SLI'd 8800 GTX's...
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:24 pm »

don't think so. not ingame, at least. the only options you get, are the ones that shows in the graphic settings. remember to also turn the other graphic csettings on high.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Simsplayer123

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:07 am »

Thanks.  I was hoping maybe someone knew of a registry key or a setting in a config file that may work.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:23:31 am »

Yes there is, actually. I had to do this myself. Follow the instructions here and the option should show up, just put 2560 and 1600 in the spot where you're supposed to change it, rather than 1920 and 1200, as the instructions say. Also, in your graphic options tab, click  'use square pixels'. This helps with image distortion caused by wide-screen monitors. Smiley

I would suggest making a backup of the original file before changing it, just in case something mucks up and you need to restore. It's pretty straight forward, but it never hurts to take that precaution. Also, keep in mind you have to edit the file in the most recent EP you installed.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:38:40 pm »

Quote from: Simsplayer123;1235077
I've been away from the Sims 2 for a while, and in between times, have built myself a new system, which includes a Samsung 30" LCD

Holy, screenage, Batman.  A guy at work got one of those and is required to wear SPF50 before turning it on :^)

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »

LMAO...I saw a guy wheeling a dolly by my office the other day. The carton had a 37" widescreen monitor in it. I asked the delivery guy if the customer getting that monitor was going to have his keyboard and mouse on the opposite side of the room as the monitor Wink

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Simsplayer123

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:07:31 am »

Thanks for that link caffeinated.joy, I'm about to go put the instructions to the test.  As for the widescreen top/bottom cutoff bit, I'll compromise a little and use 2048x1536 instead of 2560x1600 and avoid the issue that way.

jase439, I've found this screen to be good in terms of not annoying me in terms of excessive brightness unlike other (mostly cheaper) LCDs.

I don't sit across the room from the screen either - I am arms length from it and have no problem seeing everything from there.  probably would need to sit further back if the screen were much larger (40" or above).

A good monitor is an excellent investment for your pc IMO, afterall its one of the main ways we physically interact with a computer (the other ways being sound and keyboard/mouse), so deserves to be as good as it can possibly be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: