Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 06:08:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Have a Boring Idea. Bored yet?  (Read 3880 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:24:20 am »

It;s cliche, it's overdone (which almost means the same as cliche), it's boring, and it's stupid. Yes, I know. I'm not really the kind of writer that everybody dreams of, like JK Rowling (which, I have no idea why, coz even fiction haters love HP, at least I know I don't...). But I find it as my passion, and nothing can stop me... yet.

Enough with the absurdities, I have a story idea related to Big Brother and/or Survivor, where five adult siblings (literally) fight for the inheritance, because their mother, who born them and raised them and loved them dearly, became an old hag who would only give the whole inheritance to one of the children (The father is already dead, which is why the Inheritance battle occured). So do you think this is a good idea?

Each of the children has their own personality. The first born is an aggressor who shall, and must always get what she wants, and she's the one who wants the money the most, being a Fortune Aspiration Sim. The next would be twins; the one born first is the Black Sheep of the family, who doesn't care about the game because he thinks he got nothing else to lose, but would still appreciate the money, so he can have a lab (Knowledge Aspired). The younger twin is the emo of the family, or the victim, as what she likes to call herself, but her ways of 'forgiving herself' are lusty ways (Romance). The next child is a family-oriented young man, who needs to have some money before getting engaged with the love of his life. The last child is still in college, a socialite who didn't have as many opportunities to gain money as her siblings. She knows that money can actually buy friends (I didn't say true friends, just friends), and the more money, the more popular she'll become.
The last character is the mother of the family, who turned the will into a game. She is the former Minister of Education, and has a twisted, twisted mind (Makes you wonder what she did to schoolchildren during her term).

Yeah, I know you're bored. Is it really that long?

Anyway, do you think at least one will like it? Please don't insult me, I already do that to myself, and I have a fragile ego...

Thanks!

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:21:31 am »

I'm not sure if I myself would've read it, since it's not really my type of stories. but who knows? if you do it interesting enough it might turn out good. well, my advice is that if you yourself think the idea is boring, then you should think through the idea a bit more. I have a knack of never being able to finish stories. I think I've got around 40 unfinished ones now... mostly because I either figured out the idea was too boring or unfinished, because of lack of inspiration, or I just scribbled down an idea in a hurry.

write down what you have, put it away for some days, not thinking about the story at all, and take it out again. is the idea still good? then work on it a bit more, or maybe try to show it to someone to get someone else's opinion on it.
if you end up thinking "why did I even bother writing it down?" after looking at it, then the idea is probably too bad.

don't write just to write. you have to have a story you believe in - that you yourself would've liked to read.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:07:05 pm »

First of all, go easy on yourself, okay? General rule of thumb is you should be the last person to beat yourself up, not the first. Smiley

Now this is not a boring idea. The Survivor thing has been overdone, but the inhertitance twist gives it a new spin, as the family situation makes it all a lot more personal. These things are usually about complete strangers thrown together, not a family who all know each other.

The real trick is how you tell the story. You can make the most cliched idea sound fascinating with the right narrative and interesting characters. By the same token, you can totally kill a great idea by telling it badly.

So I say, have a go. No one ever became a writer without writing. Smiley
Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:51:47 pm »

I say this: Go with it, but you should take advantage of the Survivor idea by poking a little fun at it.
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:37:02 pm »

Hey, I also tend to start many stories but never finish them! I'm more of a fantasy writer so I'm not really confident if I'm gonna do just right on this Inheritance thing. But thanks for you help!

PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 03:26:05 am »

I'll read it. Sounds interesting, but I wanna know about that wolf and that mysterious book in the other story first! You can't just begin one story have me get totally into it then begin another...you just can't. No no no Wink

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:18:11 am »

The one with the wolf is already finished...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: