Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 05:49:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Continue This?  (Read 3431 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:56:57 am »

Once I heard news of a fifteen-year old boy who was murdered by a gang of no good drug addicts having their ‘session’, because he was curious of the noise in the forest. I also heard of a young boy with heart failure who died because he wanted to know why he looked nothing like his parents, only finding out that he was ‘bought’ for 200 dollars. My brother was dumped by his girlfriend because he snooped into her privacy by secretly reading the text messages.
   There are always things in the world that people shouldn’t bother to poke their noses into. For instance, if a mother tells her son to not go and sneak up the attic, then it only means that he shouldn’t go and sneak up the attic. For some reason, there are things that explain why a person shouldn’t be so nosy or just plain curious. But there are always people who couldn’t help but be very nosy, and their curiosity is repaid by danger. Curiosity most of the time has consequences, no matter how many or how severe. In this story, the consequence was so severe it might even take his life, and if you’re just as curious, then I cannot stop your from reading on.

A customer just heard a loud sneeze from the back room of the flower shop. Then he heard another one. And another one. And one after that. His brows dropped and just from the counter, he tried to see beneath the blurry glass pane at the center of the red wooden door. But since he can’t see anything, he ignored the next few sneezes and fixed his eyes on the monitor of the cash register; the flowers he bought were worth a total of 34 dollars.
   Right after the man left the Blossomed Fields flower shop, Diana, the cashier, went straight to the back room, where sixteen-year old Richard Daniel Brown, also known as Chad, was sneezing the hell out of him. He was allergic to daffodils, and there were so many of them in the room, along with some other flowers. He was sitting, rather crouching on a wooden stool, his arms spread and relaxed on the table where Diana arranges flowers.
   “Son, haven’t I told you to just stay at home? Your father’s guests wouldn’t bother you in your room, so you don’t have anything to worry about,” Diana said, standing beside the open door, her left hand against it. That day, Chad’s stepfather was to have some police guests in their house; his colleagues and some other people working for the government.
   “But mother,” he replied with his usual reasoning voice; the last syllable a bit longer than the others. “Even if they don’t bother me by not going into my room, I still don’t have enough patience to withstand the clamor they’re gonna be making! It’s better if I stay here, where it’s quiet and I can have all the time to relax.”
   “Okay, listen here, Richard Brown,” said Diana, stating his full first name, meaning he did or said something his mother didn’t like. “First of all, you’re father is going to meet with some people from the government, meaning he and his colleagues have to be extremely formal if they don’t want to lose their job. Second, you know perfectly well that you’re allergic to daffodils and crabs, so you can’t be here, otherwise, I’m going to spend a lot of money on getting rid of that rash on your whole body again. And lastly, if you really want to stay here, then forget about relaxing, because it’s nea-ring three o’clock in the afternoon, and you know it’s half-price hour, so you won’t be able to relax your butt off until four because you’re going to help me.”
   “Wow. You are a mother,” thought Chad.
   “So? Are you going to leave or not?”
   “I’ll just leave. Goodbye,” he said after a sigh, then immediately entering the main shop and exiting the building. The library was not that far away from where he was, and it’s still afternoon, so he decided to head there with hands deep in the pockets of his jeans.
   Richard Daniel Brown is the only son of Diana Brown and some man he has not known of, ever. He has, at least, a stepfather, named David, who works as a police officer. Diana, on the other hand, works as a psychiatrist on weekdays, so she started a flower shop years ago that she would open on weekends. Though it may seem quite mysterious, Chad has never known of any relatives on his mother’s side; not a single uncle, auntie or cousin. He didn’t even know who his grandparents were. He used to ask his mother about this, but she never answered, until eventually he grew out of it, even though it’s crucial for his life.
   Of all the kinds of fiction, fantasy would be the one Chad loves the most. Reading was his favorite pastime, and most of the time he chooses to read fantasy novels. He had always been fascinated by the impossible and the mysterious, though he never wanted to be a part of occult. The thought that fairies, elves, dwarves, gnomes, orcs, goblins, centaurs, mermaids, harpies, and so many other creatures might be living in the world gave him life. Just thinking about what people might have been able to do with nature excites him. He was an adorer of the impossible.
   He often pictured himself to be a part of a fantasy world. He was a prince, ruling over a whole nation, where some were wizards, witches, and fortune-tellers. In that world there would be creatures he read in novels, and thousand others which aren’t in books; creatures only he has seen, in his imagination.  

The town was alive with citizens, young and old alike. Children played in the streets like there was no tomorrow, and fences were the only ones that stood between those chatty mothers. Chad heard different splashes of water, as fathers cleaned their cars, some helped by their sons. This was normal; this was life in Lakeridge. Teens skating, couples dating as they walk around sidewalks, and much more. Too bad for Chad, though. He was pretty handsome, that was true; his sapphire blue eyes compliment his shiny ebony hair, but he didn’t have that something that those other handsome guys at school have. He was shy and aloof at the same time, and most of all, he was wildly sarcastic. Football players just push him around every time they pass by, and that was always painful, especially when he hits the locker. Some girls do like him, but his eyes were focused on Ariana Willow, the most beautiful and most popular girl in school. Of course, she doesn’t even know he exists, ‘coz she’s just too popular, and that’s the only explanation I need to tell you.
   After passing a few more houses, Chad finally made it to the town library. Inside there was nothing but bookshelves, thousands of them, arrange around the circular walls. It was silent. Normally silent. As he entered, he noticed that no one was around except of course the old librarian, Mrs. Calloway, and her three cats. She and her cats, were asleep, however, Mrs. Calloway was softly snoring while her head was over her two hands, leaned against the counter. Chad didn’t care about this, he continued on to the only aisle he knew of.
   Thousands of old, dusty books awaited him on Aisle 24, where there was no space to place anything else. Chad might have read every single book in here, he can’t re-member it anymore, but he’ll just have to find out. He walked to the end of the aisle, checking for books he hadn’t read before. Calloway’s snores were getting softer and softer, until he can only hear his thoughts.
   When he looked at the last book at the aisle, that was it. Time to look for something else. He had no idea where adventure books were, and most importantly he didn’t at all want to stumble upon biographies and autobiographies. Just staring at them makes him twitch. He had no choice but to walk back to the beginning of the aisle and move on to either Aisle 23 or 25.
   Before he was even halfway the aisle, he heard the sound of a book being placed in between other books, and then footsteps. Someone was actually in the library aside from Calloway. He ran to the beginning of the aisle, but the footsteps stopped, but he didn’t even hear the door open. Something was strange. The person could have sat on a chair and relaxed, but then again, he would have heard something being dragged.
   He entered the next aisle. He only saw books. He moved to the next aisle, and the next ones after that, but there were just dusty books. That was until he was on the twelfth aisle (it was a circular library, and the shelves end at Aisle 30), when he noticed something different.
   A book from the other side of the aisle was glowing a blue light.
   Chad grew curious. Well, he always was. Without thinking, he ran to the other side of the aisle. Seconds passed, and he was face-to-face with the glowing book, shining brightly. He dragged it from the shelf and looked at the front cover. There was not a single letter written on it, but there was a diamond crystal fixed on the center. Not only that, the book was brand new, he could even smell the scent of a newly opened one. He caressed the gem.
   An unexplainable feeling went over him. He felt heat, but he also felt cold. He had no idea his eyes glowed. Wind gathered around him, blowing away the books, out of the shelves. He floated in mid-air.
   When he regained consciousness, he found himself lying on the wooden floor, with some books on him. In his right hand was the book he touched, and around him, the two shelves were empty, as all of the books were scattered on the floor of Aisle 12. He waited for Calloway or any other person to walk up and shout at him, but apparently there was still no one around, and the widow was still sleeping.
   He stood up holding the book and paced upon a chair at the center of the library. He didn’t mind picking up the books. There was just too many of them, he figured.
   He opened it as soon as he sat. But much to his disappointment, there was nothing written on any page of the book. Not a single letter or punctuation mark. He banged his head on the table, upset about making a total mess because of nothing. He grabbed it back and quickly walked out of the library before Calloway could even wake up and know about the mess. He thought he could write on it, considering the fact that there was no copyright or anything written on it. Also, the cover was nice and very valuable, once he got the diamond out.
   The moon was already up. It was nightfall. The streets were dark and nonetheless silent. This made him wonder, because Lakeridge Town is a busy town, no matter what time of the day it is. Every time he comes home at night from somewhere with his parents, the streets were usually covered with the bright lights of the lampposts. Not only that, the streets were usually surrounded with adults who walk around a lot. And of course, that night was different.
   Sure enough, it was a long walk home, but that wouldn’t be a problem soon, because nine months from now he’d get to have a car that his stepfather promised for him. His life would be easier. Not only would he get to show his car off to his schoolmates, he might also catch Ariana Willow’s attention. But that’s still nine months from now, so he knew he had to wait.
When he entered his house through the front door, he immediately saw Diana’s strict-looking face, and he had a feeling that a good nagging session was about to begin, knowing his mom for sixteen years. That’s when he had a feeling he should have a reason ready.
   “Where have you been?” she asked.
   “The library,” he replied, putting the book down on the coffee table.
   “Do you have any idea what time it is?”
   “No.”
   “It’s past seven in the evening for crying out loud! What are you trying to do?! Hurt yourself? Did you perhaps forget that a wolf is at large?! What would we do if we see or hear that you were attacked by that wolf?”
   “A wolf is at large? Really? I didn’t know.”
   “No more excuses, Richard Daniel Brown. You are grounded from going anywhere except here, the flower shop, and school. That’s it. Right after school, you head directly to the flower shop, or head straight home with me. Do you understand?”
   Of course, arguing with Diana Brown a.k.a Mom would be a silly thing to do. For generations, arguing with mothers had only led to more grounding, so it’s always better to just say yes every time she asks if their children understand.
   “Yes, Mom.”
   “Good. Now go and see if Ashley is already awake.”
   “Yes, Mom,” and so he headed upstairs.
   The second floor of the house has three main rooms. The first and largest one is the master’s bedroom where Diana and David sleep. They also have their own bathroom. He doesn’t. The next is Ashley’s bedroom, just in front of the master’s bedroom. Inside there is a crib, a changing station, where he often changes Ashley’s diapers, while she’s still being potty-trained, and so far, nothing has happened. She also has her own small bathroom, where Dad or Mom usually bathes her. Then there’s his room, on the corner, where Sunset’s bed is also placed. Sunset is his dog, a golden retriever. He has a guitar, which he usually places beside Sunset’s bed, and his small armoire, where he puts not only clothes but also some pictures of Ariana Willow.
   When he reached the second floor, he went to check if Ashley was still sleeping. He saw that she was, so he screamed downstairs through the stairs, “She’s still sleeping, Mom,” and right after that he heard Ashley cry as she awoke from he scream. “She’s awake, Mom.”
   “Then bring her here,” Mom replied.
   And so he entered Ashley’s room, held her and carried her downstairs, then handed her to Mom. Mom took her to the dining room and placed her on her high chair, which was designed in pink and had a picture of a cake on it. Mom opened the fridge and prepared food for the toddler.
   “By the way, I went to the cemetery today, just to see if Devon and Dawson’s tombs were still clean,” he said, conscious of what Mom would say. Sadly there was a pause. And it was a very long one. Then she spoke.
   “Good.”
   Good? That’s all?! That’s what you expect from a mother who lost twins when they were toddlers?! That time he thought she’d say something different, and he never expected that she’d say just that word!
   He was only ten years old when Mom gave birth to twins, namely Devon Brown and Dawson Brown. He lived with the twins for four years, and he have really loved them, although on those times he felt some jealousy passing around. Sadly, when they were four and he was fourteen, his brothers both got dengue fever. They stayed for the hospital for many days, only to find out that there was no hope for them. Eventually they died, and David grieved for their lost. Now they’re two years dead.
   Then he heard the sound of a vehicle, and at once he knew that that was Dad, who left with his colleagues after the party.
   The door opened and then closed, then he went to the living room to find Dad holding the book he ‘borrowed’ from the library that Calloway didn’t even knew. As he approached him, he gave him an interested look and handed the empty book to him.
   “Son, what’s this?” he asked.
   “I have no idea, Dad. I haven’t read it yet,” he lied.
   “I see. Well, happy reading!”
   He always hears the expression ‘happy reading’ from his father every time he sees him with a book or near a book, and he getting irritated by that. Still, he couldn’t change David’s cheerfulness, and he might hurt him if he suddenly says “Dad, stop it. It’s irritating,” so he couldn’t do that. Sure, he has the freedom to say that, but he might get more than a grounding.
   “Thanks,” he said, which was the automatic reply every time Dad says that.
   “Darling!” Mom exclaimed, and then she hurried to the living room and Dad stood up from the sofa, and they hugged each other romantically, something he’s been dreaming to do with Ariana, but that’s only a dream, and will always be a dream. “Have you heard? A wolf is at large! Can you do something about it? I don’t want that wolf near Chad or Ashley or even Sunset!”
   “We’ll see,” was the only thing Dad could say.
   “Oh good. Anyway, dinner’s ready, so you better go to the kitchen.”
   Dad and Mom walked to the kitchen, and he was about to, too, when he recalled something he almost didn’t notice, and not noticing that would cost a lot. Thanks to what Mom said, he remembered what it was.
   “Mom, where’s Sunset?”
   “Oh, no need to worry, Chad. He’s upstairs in your room.”
   “Has he eaten yet?” he asked.
   “Oh of course. But ever since I heard about the wolf news, I hadn’t allowed her to leave the house, because that pest of a wolf might attack her, and I wouldn’t want you to experience another death.”
   So she didn’t have the opportunity to play with his friend dogs Webster, a big black schnauzer, owned by Mr. Seins; Pepper, a Chihuahua owned by the Vermont sisters; Buster, a German Shepherd owned by Ms. Laura; and Gemstone, a poodle owned by the Willow family. Then again, maybe those dogs weren’t allowed to get out too, knowing the citizens of Lakeridge, he thought.
   “So that’s why the streets were silent and dark. They were dark because all of the people remained inside their houses to be safe from the wolf, and so there was no use for the lampposts to be lit, and of course, the streets were silent because there was no one to shout, play on the streets, sing while walking, or other stuffs,” he thought.
   “Chad? Chad? Richard Daniel Brown, are you listening?!’ Mom said, and he hasn’t realized that he remained standing there, thinking.
   “Let’s go and eat, Chad,” said Dad. “You can read that book later, if you’re so busy thinking about it,” and so he followed them to the kitchen.    

Yeah, I know, it's long. Thanks for your patience in reading, it's because it's the whole chapter one. (Thanks still if you skipped through some parts, or just read the first paragraph. at least you tried!)

Anyway, should I continue this? Answers greatly appreciated!

steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:08:09 am »

Oh, I say continue it, definitely. Very interesting so far.

Just watch how you write your 'tense'. You keep switching from past 'did this, did that' to present 'is this, is that.' Makes it a little confusing.
Also, you seem to refer to Sunset as both he and she. *nitpick* Smiley
cypherathos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:17:24 am »

Oh, yeah. You're right. Lol.

PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 03:20:07 am »

Great story! Just as I started leaning forward on my chair getting really interested in it, you cut me off. lol Next chapter Wink

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: