Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 03:15:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New version of SecuROM  (Read 21228 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 07:08:30 am »

Not if a certain group of people who are very interested in this issue, have their say.
This group of people are planning a campaign to change EA's mind about this and make an impact on them. It will be announced at a later date.

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:26:27 am »

The publisher further noted that the protection will still only allow users to authenticate each game on up to three computers. Approval of further authorizations will be handled by EA customer support on a case-by-case basis.

Pah... so if we have to, say, replace hard drives, motherboards or even whole systems more than three times, ever (which is very possible!), we're pretty much screwed Tongue

No requests please
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »

Ick. That sucks major. I've rebooted my system over 3 times in the last year and a half alone.. that won't last forever.

Petco

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:11 am »

Wow, kind of silly way they're enforcing anti-piracy. I mean, it'll drive away more customers(which means money) than save.

Ehh, they should just copy what Valve is doing with Steam. With Steam, Valve doesn't have to worry as much about pirates and Steam is really convenient for the user.

Also I do agree, it seems that since SecuROM has been activated, sales have declined but that may be because expansion pack's quality are declining also(I mean, look at how many glitches/bugs/etc each new expansion pack offers).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:43:46 am by Petco » Logged
X-Phile

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:47 am »

Quote from: SecretAgentZero;1240831
Anybody interested in "SecuROM Must Be Destroyed" clothing?

You gave me an idea for a sims T-shirt.:-P

I too am no longer buying games from EA since Securom and now with the install limit they are never going to see money from me.

+ The glitches in the game get worst and worst. Kitchen & Bath is a very good example. BV with the Tour Guide. And the list goes on and on and on.

The only way EA can make it up to me is NO COPYPROCECTION.:chainsaw:
And that they test there game. And make a patch within a month.
Then if they did this, I would have to sleep on it for one night.:laugh:
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:10 pm »

LOL ^^  I would love to get your sims t-shirt. I would take a pic of everyone wearing it and put the pic on the BBS.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
y2krobie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 02:37:12 am »

Quote from: The T @ TSR;1239702
More info at
http://noukiesims2.net/wp/?p=533

By the way, in this news
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52618

SecuRom is suck ; it make kittens cry.

I think EA is digging their grave now because this copy protect might make people turn to piracy to avoid the mess.

We already know that Spore will use it, but do you think they will also included in Apartment Life and Ikea, too ?

it is stupid that they wanna do this do they really think someone wont make a hack/crack to get around it...

raindrops84

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »

Well.... I am so torn and heartbroken. I find it really hard for me to just say that I won't buy anymore EA games that have SecuROM, but the more I read about it the more I feel like it's the only way to make EA understand that we won't take this... Am I the only one that feels totally dejected by this, is it really that easy for you guys to just say you won't buy anymore? I mean despite all the glitches and lies I can't deny that I love the gameplay, I just hate the politics of it all. Damn EA...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:23:42 pm by raindrops84 » Logged

Keep your words soft and tender for tomorrow you may have to eat them ~ Author Unknown

Join the fight against SecuROM-> http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 03:44:07 pm »

No, it was not easy to decide not to buy from EA.  I love the sims, but securom will never get on this computer.  When the choice is a game or a working computer, then the decision is easier.  I've not bought anything new from EA since BV.

With this new version of securom and the 3 install limit, it makes it even easier to say I won't buy from Ea until such invasive copy protection is history.

Maybe if EA takes a hit to their bottom line, they will reconsider their policies.  Although with EA's mentality, they will attribute the drop in sales to pirates, not the disillusionment of their many former loyal consumers.

gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 07:04:38 pm »

It's not always easy. Seasons is my current expansion, and I have no interest in stuff packs (too much fantastic free content, and I'd rather donate the little spare change I have toward my favorite free sites). I find that sometimes, I find myself wavering ... "Oh, it can't be that bad!" Then I read about the number of computers Securom has borked, people's problems with various bugs in BV and FT, the absolutely snotty attitude EA Games has concerning its customers, what many people have had to resort doing to play BV and FT without Securom in the first place, etc. Then it becomes easier.

And it's easier still with Sims 3. There are quite a few interesting aspects to it, but so far, the negatives outweigh the positives, and EA's stubborn refusal to compromise on Securom is a big one.

I guess that what puzzles me is that EA Games is a big corporation with lots of people involved in all aspects of its creation. If so many people have problems with Securom, do you mean to tell me that no one at EA Games can come up with any sort of solution that can appeal to both sides of the situation? None whatsoever? That's a bunch of nonsense.

So no, I'm not distraught. Annoyed, exasperated, incredulous ... yes. But not distraught.
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:09 pm »

What exactly is it that everyone says Securom does to their computers? I haven't had any problems with it messing with anything.

And on the note of copyright protection, I don't think anything we do will cause them to back down. Everyone has gotten stricter with copyrights over the years. I even got an email from my university about downloading music illegally and they could track how many songs I had downloaded that way.

Not to start a controversy or a debate or anything, but I'm not sure that people fighting the Securom by not buying EA games will fix anything... It's almost like people thinking not buying gas for a few days will lower the prices...

gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 10:14:59 pm »

Nah, I'm not doing this as some grand form of protest. I'm not demanding that others follow my lead. If you are one of the lucky ones who didn't get anything from Securom and enjoy BV and FT, hey, that's great, though you might want to know that that may not be a given with Sims 3. I don't expect that the actions of one person is going to affect EA games one bit ... unless it's multiplied by tens of thousands, and even then, it may not achieve the desired effect. Time will tell. This old lady has seen corporations change their tune if enough people change their minds. And I've seen where corporations haven't. But I'm not about to sit meekly around and let EA Games do what it wants to my computer for a couple of lousy games. Perhaps it is a last defiant gesture. Smiley

I just don't want the crap on my computer. Period. It isn't worth it to me. I have to fend off enough junk on the Net from sneaking in and causing mischief ... I don't want to PAY to put nasty garbage on it! And it's not the end of the world if I have to wait a long time to buy another Sims game. If Seasons is the end of the line for me, that's that. Oh, well. I'll have to find another hobby.

As for what Securom does to computers, this pretty much encapsulates the problems many have had. Not everyone ... it depends on the user and the computer. But many. And I just don't want to be one of the "lucky" ones:

http://terraspore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13510

I will not accept that Securom is the only alternative. My husband is an avid PC gamer, and I've seen the copyright protections on his games. Other companies have followed other solutions, and they don't seem to have caused nearly as much as an uproar. The problem is fixable. It's a good question whether EA Games will fix it or ignore it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:18:12 pm by gazania » Logged
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:17 pm »

The site listed below is going to try to do the impossible. We're well aware of the hurdles we face in trying to change EA's mind, but with enough people, we might be able to pull it off.
If anyone is interested in this, please check it out.
http://securom.sublimesims.net/

With enough people, we might effect change-but change doesn't happen by itself.
In short, one person might not do it. Thousands will definitely make a statement.
Please just stop by and decide for yourself if this is something you would want to get involved in. We welcome everyone.

Petco

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 11:41:18 pm »

Other companies have followed other solutions, and they don't seem to have caused nearly as much as an uproar. The problem is fixable. It's a good question whether EA Games will fix it or ignore it.

There is definitively is other ways for them to deal with pirates/warez. Again, EA games should do what Valve and Steam does(and Blizzard is also going to set up a service similar to Steam).

Steam offers a lot of protection against pirates due to the fact that you buy games directly from Steam(online store/account), and the games are tied directly to your account.

Of course, you require internet connection for Steam but you only need internet connection when you download and install stuff for Steam.

You can play offline afterwards once you've downloaded and installed the game from Steam.

Blizzard is also going to this route(though it's not the "exact" same as Valve and Steam), allowing people to download/buy games directly from the Blizzard online store.

So EA games should get heads up and copy Valve's method with Steam.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:44:09 pm by Petco » Logged
X-Phile

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 04:06:32 am »

Quote from: lewisb40;1244372
LOL ^^  I would love to get your sims t-shirt. I would take a pic of everyone wearing it and put the pic on the BBS.

Here are those T-shirts. My first upload.:dance:
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=81707
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: