Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:52:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New version of SecuROM  (Read 20803 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
freshsfs2003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2008, 09:32:37 pm »

Hey guys, I found an interesting post on Wikipedia I thought I would share. If someone has already posted this the my apologies. There is an interesting section on the Sims 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

The American ideal, after all, is that everyone should be as much alike as possible.  James Baldwin
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »

It had been mentioned, but not in this thread.  And either way, It's been updated since the last time I viewed that page.  Thanks for the link freshsfs2003.  Wink

ETA:  Okay... now that I've calmed down a little since my surprising temper-tantrum in the AL EP stickied thread almost an hour ago, this whole issue seems to be causing me more grief than I originally intended it to.  This is a pretty bad sign... this is something out of my usual norm to be so outright and overly frustrated over such a problem with not being able to do the simple "buy the game, install the game, play the game" routine I'm used to.  Normally I'm not one for going nuts over a game, but seeing as the new SecuRom is being put onto all older disks now, (and the fact that AL will have this crap on it, so I won't be able to buy the doggone thing for new baby objects I've been screaming my head off for ages for... :bawl:)  I'm finding myself literally brokenhearted that I can't buy and play another EP made by EA without adding more frustration in my gaming life and chancing messing up my time and money.  I can't enjoy the game I love so dearly because of fear against the whole thing screwing up my only halfway decent computer (and knowing how iffy my Dell Inspiron laptop is at the moment, this thing would probably go kablooie if I installed another EP on it either way...)  

Just in short:  I think I need to take a break for sure on this whole issue... it's bad when it starts to affect you emotionally.  And I don't even have any EPs or games infected with SecuRom!  :shock:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:58:00 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 10:11:20 pm »

Tenshii, I'm like you are. I decided against getting my extra GIG of memory, because the temptation will be there to get more games even though I'm so dead set against getting them. Apartment Life looked sooooo interesting, BUT I can do without.

So, I'll just sit here with my three EP's and be happy and content.

Once again, I go back to the lawyer question I asked.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
freshsfs2003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 05:58:23 am »

I agree with both of you. Since FT crashed my game I uninstalled it. Even though Insim is updated now I am too scared to reinstall it. As much as AL seems so cool, I do not think I will be purchasing it. Too much of a headache and what has EA done-nothing.

The American ideal, after all, is that everyone should be as much alike as possible.  James Baldwin
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 06:34:03 am »

You're right, fresh.

There's not a company on the planet or any planet that's going to tell me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. It's almost like they're stripping us of our livelyhood.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
raindrops84

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:14 pm »

Quote from: Tenshii~Akari;1266808

I'm finding myself literally brokenhearted that I can't buy and play another EP made by EA without adding more frustration in my gaming life and chancing messing up my time and money.  I can't enjoy the game I love so dearly because of fear against the whole thing screwing up my only halfway decent computer (and knowing how iffy my Dell Inspiron laptop is at the moment, this thing would probably go kablooie if I installed another EP on it either way...)  

Oh Tenshii, I know how you feel, it's so frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time I feel so used and cheated by EA. I couldn't imagine not buying all the new EPs from EA because I got so used to looking forward to them and getting excited to see what they would think of next. Now, when they talk about releasing something new, I roll my eyes and sigh. And I as hard as this will be I am still not getting AL… I am so determined to make EA change their minds and I know that the ONLY way to make them change is to make them loose lots of money. If we could convince enough people not to buy AL it would be a matter of weeks before EA pulled out of their contract with Sony. Then it would only make sense for them to re-create AL without SecuROM.

I want to see that happen. That’s why I joined the Simmers Against SecuROM site and forum because they are working hard to get some legal action going as well as coordinating the letters campaign, an official petition. They also have a Stories campaign which is really important. If you or anyone has had issues with SecuROM, go write your story because you never know EA might need those stories one day not only to see the real damage but also to use to break their contract with Sony. I don’t know how this is all going to turn out, but I’ll be dammed if I let this happen without a fight.

Keep your words soft and tender for tomorrow you may have to eat them ~ Author Unknown

Join the fight against SecuROM-> http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Silver Arrows
Mental Midget

Rabid fangirls FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »

There's not a company on the planet or any planet that's going to tell me what I can and cannot do on MY computer.
Hear hear. They go on and on about piracy being illegal. Tell me, is it legal for them to install malware on our PCs without our knowledge of consent? Flaming hypocrites. They are pushing more and more people towards piracy, and it serves them right.

ust in short: I think I need to take a break for sure on this whole issue...
LOL! Me too, maybe! I'm fuming mad at EA. No way are they getting any more money out of me.

Out to Lunch  - my stories, rantings and a lil bit of custom content
My deviantArt page
Are you a fan of the Ace Attorney series? Come and check out our online fan-games! Gyakuten Sisters
Celia

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 06:58:32 am »

I have been talking to EA customer support concerning securom--it's a bit frustrating.  I had read enought about it to be afraid that I might damage my game, computer, and/or software if I tried to backup my game after installing the Free Time patch--I have installed the patch.  I therefore asked tech support if I could backup my game with Nero without damaging may game, computer, and/or software--pointing out that if I couldn't do that and also backup other important things on my computer, then a large part of my computer has been taken away.  They are consistently polite, but have yet to answer my question, instead telling me to back it up onto the desktop, and offering to help me with my computer problems.  I have pointed out that I need to back it up onto dvds in order to keep it safe from computer crashes, and that at this time I am not having a problem--the question is, will I have problems if I use Nero to back it up?  Rain answered my emails at first, the last email was answered by Chester.
freshsfs2003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2008, 06:47:44 pm »

Quote from: raindrops84;1267399
I couldn't imagine not buying all the new EPs from EA because I got so used to looking forward to them and getting excited to see what they would think of next. Now, when they talk about releasing something new, I roll my eyes and sigh. And I as hard as this will be I am still not getting AL….

My mouth would nearly salvate when it came to getting a new EP. I even went and purchased more memory so I knew I had nothing to fear when it came to buying FT.

I played FT for a while without the patch and I had no real problems until... Now I can't possibly imagine reinstalling it. It has taken me months to repair my game back to some normal decency of playing. I had to recover all of my families and repair each of my Sim's relationships. Nothing irrates me more when a sim thinks another sim is hot but they're brother and sister.

Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 02:56:50 pm »

Quote from: Celia;1269999
I have been talking to EA customer support concerning securom--it's a bit frustrating.  I had read enought about it to be afraid that I might damage my game, computer, and/or software if I tried to backup my game after installing the Free Time patch--I have installed the patch.  I therefore asked tech support if I could backup my game with Nero without damaging may game, computer, and/or software--pointing out that if I couldn't do that and also backup other important things on my computer, then a large part of my computer has been taken away.  They are consistently polite, but have yet to answer my question, instead telling me to back it up onto the desktop, and offering to help me with my computer problems.  I have pointed out that I need to back it up onto dvds in order to keep it safe from computer crashes, and that at this time I am not having a problem--the question is, will I have problems if I use Nero to back it up?  Rain answered my emails at first, the last email was answered by Chester.

If you can still burn dvd's do it.  Using your Nero shouldn't make securom rear it's ugly head.  Some simmers who had never used their Nero were still affected.  If your interested in support and some friendly helping people then join us at http://securom.sublimesims.net/smf/index.php

simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2008, 11:53:37 am »

Well after reading this, I know realise what securom is and how awful. I too will not buy the games until they take it away.
geezy33

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2008, 12:57:37 pm »

this is a good thing I only have 3 games to keep the computer much safe.
I'm scared of suck-Rom, I don't wanna lose all my sims to something that will cut off my PC.
Well right now I'm at the moment of getting a new Computer cuz, My old computer's motherboard died out, I didn't backup my game, cuz the Game's data is still in the old hardDrive, I'm hoping to get my babies back cuz they miss me so badly.
SecuROM will never enter GEEZY AND G-LYNN 2008...I only have Nightlife,OFB and Univ, that's the only games I will ever have.
EA need to fix their patchs and get rid of secuROM.

Sorry no requests,I'm a townie maker and Maxis killer on maxis sims.
Welcome to Geezysims2:lurk:
Celia

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »

Thank you, Roxy.  I finally got an answer out of Tech Support--RG B said that they couldn't garantee that securom wouldn't damage my game if I tried to back it up with Nero, and that "as far as we know" it wouldn't damage my computer, Nero, or my virus protection.  Way to hedge bets.  I can't see playing this game, or indeed any game of the type I like (long, involved and openended) without being able to back it up to protect it from Windows "hiccups", bad game coding, hardware clashes or just plain the motherboard gives up the ghost--therefore I will try to back it up.  
I've been looking forward to Spore for years, and would love to try Sims 3, and would love to have the witches in Apartment Life but unless things change I have relunctantly decided not to purchase them.  
Thank you for the link to Sublime Sims, I will probably join tomorrow--right now I need to get off my computer before the storm cuts the power again.
simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2008, 01:09:26 pm »

I ened up having to trade it my freetime exp, it constantly messsed up my game cos I got alot of custom content,its frustrating as from what ive played of it, it was good, aside from that in the zone thing that happens when they max out their hobbies , which got annoying after a while.lol.
venusdemilo

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2008, 01:34:53 pm »

I have decided that if Apartment Life has this 'new' SecuRom on it, I am NOT buying it.  I'm also NOT buying Sims 3 (like I was going to anyway hehe) The only way EA will listen to us is if enough of us decide not to buy their games.

I don't have Nero, and I haven't had issues, but I've been afraid to put anything on it.  I just got a brand new laptop and no way in heck I'm going to go through what I went through again.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: