Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 04:35:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Mac?  (Read 4332 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:05:47 am »

I'm looking to buy a new mac within the next month for my birthday an d wanted to see if you guys could give me a suggestion.

I know that getting an iMac would be best, but I need a Macbook because I move around alot and like to take my comptuer with me.

I'm currently looking at the Macbook Pro, but I have a few questions.
1) Is the Nvidia Geforce 8600 that comes on there good enough to run the sims smoothly? It isn't listed on the main Sims2 website under the recommended requirements.
2) Is there enough difference in a 2.4 and 2.5 speed processor to pay the extra for the faster one? I get a discount because of school, so I could get the faster one for the price of the slower one origionally or I could save a few hundred bucks if it isn't truly needed.

Thanks for any help!

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »

The GeForce 8600 is MORE than good enough. I just upgraded to a macbook pro, and I have NEVER had such great graphics.

I have the 2.4 speed processor and have nothing to complain about. Want to use those money you save on something really useful? Upgrade to 4GB RAM. That will make your game (and mac) run as smooth as silk. I run heavy programs made for editing photos, grapic, sound and movies, with big files and several programs open at the same time, and I have no lag.

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:26 pm »

Thanks. I just wanted to check in and make sure before I bought it. Cheesy

I'm looking forward to better graphics as my graphics card right now is horrible because its just a standard integrated laptop one.

HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:49:10 pm »

I would also recommend getting the largest HD you can afford.  While you can add external for storage, if you plan on partitioning and installing windows you will want the biggest.  Windows sucks a lot of space.

sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:06 pm »

How much will the windows partition take up?
I'm wondering this because I want to have the best I can have, but I don't want to spend alot over the base price of the computer.

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:22:40 pm »

My windows is 30 GB, you can choose. It must be minimum 5GB, but you can choose how much over it is. I choose 30 to have place for all EPs, and tons of CC XD I have a 160gig HD.

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »

Oh ok, well that works then.

I have one more question. If I play the game on the windows version, will I be able to open the pictures/screenshots I take in game in my mac version or will I only be able to access those pictures when I'm playing on the windows partition?

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:19:07 am »

The only file I can access on my mac is the desktop, so I download stuff from the mac and place it in a folder on the desktop (i guess you know about how you can drag&drop folders so they lie in the left bar in finder), and I made a folder on the desktop to take pictures with. Since Im only using windows for simming, I don't care if the desktop looks like a mess XD

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:23:15 pm »

Ok. Yeah, I only will use windows for simming. But as long as I put the pictures in a file on the desktop I can open them in mac and edit them. Thats good to know. Cheesy

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:26:28 pm »

Yup ^^ I use gadwin, if I don't remember too wrong, and then you can choose wich folder to put the pictures in.

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: