Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:56:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nightlife Installation Problem  (Read 1502 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Magicflute

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

So, a couple of weeks ago, my kitty spilled water on my keyboard (she's adorable but she just can't resist tipping over any cup of liquid that she sees) ... and it naturally fried my motherboard, so I had to get a new computer. Thankfully, we could still save my hard drive and put it in the new computer as an extra 80G of storage! But I still had to reinstall everything, including the base game and all of the expansion packs.

I didn't have many problems installing anything except for nightlife. It keeps getting to around 19% and then saying "A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\SoundSfxKD2.package' from the media." And then it gives me the option of retrying or quitting the installation.

The disk IS slightly scratched (which I'm guessing is the most likely problem ... I am just desperately hoping it's some other easy fix so I don't have to buy it again). The only other problem I had with installation was with Pets and that did the same thing as this, except that disk is in pristine condition. It did eventually work after about 15 tries, although I'm not sure what made it work on the 16th try ...

My new pc does run on Vista ... does anyone know of any other reason that it could be doing this? I would just resort to living without nightlife, but if I can reinstall it, I won't have to lose all of my people and neighborhoods! I would really appreciate any ideas anyone has. Thanks so much!!

Prudensh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:03 am »

Unfortunately that error message does refer to a damaged disc. There is a handy article at Sims2wiki about cleaning damaged discs: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Install

It also provides a link to the official site re Copying Install Files to Your Hard Drive: "You may have better luck if you copy the install files from the disk to your computer's hard drive, then try to install using the files on your hard drive, rather than trying to read from the disk. The flaw with this method is that if the game installer can't read the files, the chances are that explorer won't be able to anyway, and if Explorer does happen to have more luck, it could literally take hours."
Magicflute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:51:43 pm »

Ick. I think I might just buy a new one and save myself the trouble! Yeah, I kind of thought it was probably a disk related problem ... I was just holding out that is wasn't. Thankfully eBay has some pretty cheap new ones, so I think I'll just do that. Thank you for the help; I really appreciate it!! :cheer:

Prudensh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:58:47 pm »

You're welcome, sorry it wasn't the answer you were hoping for!
Magicflute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:47:50 pm »

That's ok ... I was just in denial. Lol. Thanks for the help anyway!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: