Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:40:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Too many files?  (Read 2731 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
dlockett61

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:26 am »

How will I know if I have too many files in my game? I am a downloadaholic, for every 100 or so files I get rid of I add 150 more, I currently have over 51,000files in my game. Here are my stats:

Size: 10.2 GB (11,015,725,896 bytes)

Size on disk: 9.82 GB (10,548,367,570 bytes)

Contains: 52,195 files

Am I on download overload?

Thanks in advance.
HollyD1983

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:32:57 pm »

Well,that's hard to judge,my downloads folder had swollen to 6 gb at it's largest,and it took an hour to load my game,an additional 15 minutes to load each lot,plus I was having very slooooooow moving lots(many of the items were high in polys)in addition to constant crashing and/or freezing,I deleted the files and went back to just recolors and the occasional new mesh hair and clothes,and my game now takes 3 minutes to load(I have all EP's up to Bon Voyage)But hey,if you aren't having any problems,then just leave things the way they are(if it ain't broke,don't fix it):angel:

Lover of lederhosen
dlockett61

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:04:23 pm »

I haven't had any real problems other than some of the ones you mentioned, slow game download time (about an hour) but I can live with that. The only other thing I noticed is the game plays a little choppy. Thanks for your help.
Prudensh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:06:06 pm »

As far as your computer is concerned, your file limit is only dictated by the file system used by your hard drive. And if you have NTFS, which stands for New Technology File System and is designed for Windows Vista and XP, 52,195 files isn't even going to come anywhere close to capacity, which is measured in tetrabtyes.

However loading your game might be an issue as Holly has pointed out....
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:35 pm »

I'm just curious, out of all those files you downloaded, how many of those do you actually use?

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
SealJuice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:25:18 pm »

Finally someone with more files than me! I assume thse are in game? My downloads folder is 6 gigs. My full organized cc collection is 53 gigs. Carefully organized. My load is about 15 minutes.
April

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:56:14 pm »

Well, it depends on the size of your hard drive. My Downloads folder is about 5 MB and it takes about 5 minutes to load, depending if I have any other applications opened (but when Photoshop AND Sims 2 are opened, my computer gets slower than normal).

So... it depends on your hard drive, really. If your hard drive capacity is only 80 GB then it`s a problem. If it`s about 200GB then you`re fine.

+| Flickr | SimPage |+
Life is better when it's upside-down.
xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:25:28 pm »

my downloads folder is 5.36 GB, and i thought THAT was big :rofl: my game takes about 15 minutes to load, but the slowness of movement depends on how many sims i have on a lot and the weather (i.e. if it's raining, it's slow. if it's just a clear day, it's fast) i guess it's 'cause my hard drive is 500 GB (i had no idea)

<signature removed due to size, please refer to forum rules>
dlockett61

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:15:07 pm »

To answer your question Ekozski, I pretty much use them all, I try not to do to many duplications in my sims and their homes, I usually don't download them unless Im going to use the stuff, if I come across a set or something that has a lot of crap in it that I know I'm not going to use, I get rid of it before I even download it. I just spent a few days getting rid of stuff, hair and clothes that had no meshes, stuff like that. And I still had over 50,000 files lol, so now that I have room to add more stuff, guess what I will be doing for the next few days???
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:28:54 pm »

I've done that myself. I download the file and take only what I need.

Like with kitchen sets, I don't use the upper cabinets, and I don't use curtains.

What I personally look for is, stuff that is recolorable. Very versatile stuff. Like the Tranquility kitchen set at Holy Simoly. You can come up with so many different color combinations with their counters. And their Arizona living room set, lots and lots of recolors and combinations.

About the only thing I've really been downloading a lot of is, bedrooms and dining rooms, aside from hair and clothes.

My download folder is just a tad over 1 GIG. And, I'm looking to get rid of stuff.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
freshsfs2003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:27:24 am »

Mine is 6.79 gb, but I bought more memory out of fear of overloading my system. That's 17,500 files and my game only takes out 6 minutes to load. But I agree, it does depend on your system.

The American ideal, after all, is that everyone should be as much alike as possible.  James Baldwin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: