Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 09:53:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: re-installing question  (Read 1112 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
hanster

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:53:08 pm »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place
i have recently had to uninstall my game due to me being really dumb and messing around with folders, trying to move my game from the C to the D drive to create more space, and lo and behold, it stopped working.
Stupid, i know:cry: i got the message "This application has crashed. the application will now terminate" every time i tried to run the game. I had saved a backup and i intend to re-install everything, i will probably also be buying uni and seasons when i get round to it. i currently have NL, OFB and pets

My computer is not that old, and before i messed it up, it ran the sims smoothly, but i think with quite a few expansion packs, as well as the main game being installed all at once, and custom content that i have, i could have some problems. what could i do to make it run smoothly? should i install my old ep's and add my backup, then install the new ones later on? or should i wait and install all the ep's at once and add my backup after making sure the game runs ok first?
sorry for the long post, and i know this post probably sounds really stupid, but i could do with some advice before i go ahead mess the game up again :smt120
Any help or advice is much appreciated. Cheesy
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:22:03 pm »

When I've reinstalled in the past, I've played a little bit after each installation, without any CC or mods, just to see how the plain vanilla game works again.  Doing this I was better able to see if a mod was acting up on me.

If you want to keep any neighborhoods you've been playing, it should be back in your game before you install Seasons.  It would probably be okay to put in after installing Seasons, but you'd be able to check to be sure everything is as you want it before adding a new EP that will change your neighborhood files.

I'd apply the patches after each installation.  Others would disagree claiming patches are worse than what they were suppose to fix.

One of the best things you could do is organizing your CC into subfolders.  Use Clean Installer or DDO to help with this.  If you have specialized CC for a Medieval contest you entered, but don't use it all the time, put it into a separate folder you can add or remove from your game.  Not loading 2 GB of CC you don't use will speed up load times, not to mention your time creating sims and houses.
hanster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 04:07:24 am »

okay i'll keep that in mind, thanks Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: