Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 01:10:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: The Inheritance: Chapter 5 - Part II (Updated 11/14)  (Read 48021 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
defenderp123

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2008, 04:05:24 am »

i just read this story the whole way through and i love it, great characters
and amazing plots

please, please, please update soon

1. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. :wav:
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

I used to be as mad as a hatter

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2008, 04:32:36 am »

luv it!

No more hiding
Don't be afraid of what's inside
Anytime anybody pulls you down
Anytime anybody says you're not allowed
Just remember you are not alone
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2008, 02:50:54 pm »

The Inheritance
Chapter 3 - Part II
March 1964

All of Lady Thornycroft's friends gathered at her home for her funeral. Even Dante, who had been so busy earlier in the weekend, made the drive back for the funeral.

We listened as Father Bianchi practiced the funeral rites and prayed for the soul of Esther.

After everyone else had filed away to the dining room for lunch, I stayed behind to pay my respects to Esther. After all, we had been friends for so long. She had been kind to me, had loved me like a daughter and Josephine like a granddaughter.

I was praying at the side of the coffin when I heard voices from the hall...

It was Grant, first, and then Capricia Volante.

"No, Signora Volante, I know you were hoping but now it just seems wrong."

"But, my Lord," Capricia said in her lusty Italian way, "I know your mother was against it, but this is a very good opportunity for you. For both of us."

"What about your husband?" asked Grant.

"Never mind my husband. What he doesn't know can't hurt him. And it can't hurt us, either."

"I'm sorry, Capricia. I'm very flattered, very tempted, but no."

And with that, I heard a set of footsteps set off across the hall, followed by the reluctant click of Capricia's heels.

The luncheon was lovely. We all sat and ate Lady Thornycroft's favorite dishes and shared stories about our experiences with her. It was a joyous occasion despite the sadness that enveloped us.

As I walked home from the funeral, I found that one of the houses that had long been abandoned had a car in the driveway and a few people unloading it. As I walked by, the man gave me a friendly wave and I stopped for a chat.

As it turned out, the man was Signor Esposito, and he had owned the house for some time, returning only now after spending many years with his sick wife in another town. She had died and so he and his family moved back.

A figure in military fatigues was at the trunk of the car, fiddling with boxes. "Is that your son?" I asked, gesturing towards the car.

"Oh, no," said Esposito. "My daughter. Gia, come over here."

We were introduced and talked for a few moments more before I left them to their packing, and deciding that I should bring a casserole over later in the week.

One thing was clear. There was something strange about a family where a daughter wore military fatigues, but I detected nothing sinister. I bid them good day and returned home.
defenderp123

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »

oh quick update thank you and please post more soon (really enjoying, waits impatiently to see what hppens next)

1. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. :wav:
eefje00704

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:47 am »

Great updates!
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2008, 12:03:55 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 3 - Part III
March 1964

While I was meeting a new neighbor, my friend Angela Giorelli was waiting for a surprise from her niece, Eva. And what a surprise it was...

Angela was quite pleased with the way that Eva Giorelli had turned out. Her mother had never really recovered from the death of her father to the point where she could take over responsibility for her daughter. Just the same, Angela was happy to Eva now that her husband was indisposed. It was true that she despised the man even more, having been informed by Eva that it was indeed Giovanni who tried to kill her, but he had at least been someone to talk to.

Angela glanced at her watch, then called out, "Eva, come on. What's the big surprise?"

Eva came out of her bedroom and walked around the couch to sit adjacent to her aunt. Angela was extremely taken aback. "What's this?" she asked, gesturing at Eva's novice's habit. "Is this a joke?"

"No, Aunt Angela," said Eva quietly. She had been demure and sad, Angela had noticed, since her friend Marco Moretti had gone away to the priesthood. "I've decided to join a nunnery and I would not like to argue about it."

"But...are you sure?" asked Angela.

"Yes, I am. Only God can offer the peace I need," Eva said. Angela was somewhat shocked at the serious demeanor of her niece. It was a definite change from her care-free, fun-loving and (Eva thought) somewhat irresponsible predeliction to fool around with her sweetheart Marco.

Angela didn't argue. She simply told her niece as she walked her out to the waiting car that her home would always be open for her and to please write.

"Thank you, Aunt Angela. God be with you."

Eva ducked into the car.

"And with you also," said Angela.

That night, over dinner, I gave Dante the rundown on our family which, by now, was somewhat farflung. Josephine was away at college studying drama and making good grades.

Marco had decided to join the priesthood after all, though his resolve to do so had ebbed and flowed (with the continued presence of Eva Giorelli, though that was a detail I neglected to mention to Dante) up until the last minute.

Dante gave me a briefing on his activities in Rome (though I was to find out later that this list excluded certain extracurricular activities): he was serving on a few different committees, even being a Vice Chairman of one of them. "A few decades and I could be chairman," he said proudly.

"I have no doubt, darling," I told him, giving him a smile that I didn't quite feel. After all, he had only been in government for two years and already he was hardly home. But I refused to put the damper on his ambitions and earn his resentment. "But I bet you'll get on the cabinet before then."

After dinner, Dante cleared the table and helped me wash the dishes. "I wanted to ask you something," he murmured to me. "Chiara--Ms. Castelli, my Chief of Staff?--thinks it's time to start fundraising."

"Oh, really?" I asked absently, setting a dish in the dishrack. "What does Chiara suggest?"

"An event. I was hoping, to keep costs low, to host it here." He looked at me sidelong.

"Yes," I said. "Why not? I'll need some time to prepare, so...when is it?"

"September."

"That's certainly long enough to plan. I'll start planning the menu now."

Later that night, we were watching the television with Andre and Lara. During one of the commercial breaks, Andre turned to Dante and I and said, "I want a car."

"What?" asked Dante. "A car of your own?"

"Yes, why not?"

"I don't see any reason why not," Dante confessed. "Where are you going to get the money?"

"Well, I was hoping..."

I gave a chuckle. "No, sir. Your brother and sister never got a car. If you want one, you'll have to find a job."

"You'd be okay with that?" asked Andre.

"Why not?" asked Dante.

"I'll start looking tomorrow."

Halfway into the news broadcast, Dante stood and announced that he had to get going in order to be on time for his meeting. "You have a meeting?" I asked, lulled from my near dozing next to him.

"Yes, didn't I say? With Flavio and Modesto." He got his coat and walked to the door. I followed him, kissed him goodbye, and watched him walk off into the night.

That night I lay awake, unable to sleep. I watched the minutes tick to hours until I heard the door downstairs open and close, and footsteps on the stairs. A moment later Dante came in to find me with a book in my hands and the light on. It was just past ten.

"How was the meeting?" I asked conversationally, not looking up from the book.

"Productive," said Dante as he went into the bathroom. I heard the water running and a few moments later he came back to lay next to me.

"What time are you driving back to Rome tomorrow?" I asked as we settled in bed.

"Probably eight o'clock. Not later than nine." He kissed me on the cheek and turned on his side. "Good night, Betty."

"Good night, Dante."

The following morning...

After bundling the children off to school, Dante packed his small suitcase and loaded it into the car. I went out with him with a basket of cookies I got up early to bake for his road trip.

"Have a safe trip," I told Dante. "Call me when you get there?"

"I will," he promised and hugged me. He released me and I watched him get into the car. As he drove off, I found myself standing in the shadow of a big, empty villa, alone.

Alone again.
defenderp123

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2008, 03:04:49 am »

love this story (and the quick updates), post again soon, i already look forward to it

Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2008, 05:20:27 am »

i luv this story.. You must update soon

No more hiding
Zorom

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2008, 09:30:53 am »

Mysterious. What was that stuff about Grant? More updates!

CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2008, 02:59:36 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 3 - Part IV
May - June 1964

After visiting the Esposito family later in the week they moved in, I knew that I had to do what I could to provide the family with what motherly attentions I could, for Giorgia's sake. The death of her mother had left them without a decent cook. So I had resolved to have them over for dinner.

And, of course, I could use the company, too.

"Why Giorgia," I said happily as I opened the door to them. "How lovely you look. Do come in, please. Both of you."

It was Friday and, given the Catholicism of all parties present, I served fish.

Over dinner and over the weekly Friday dinners, our families learned things about the other.

For instance, on the first Friday I learned that Giorgia was expected to be Giorgio. But the surprise of her gender did not overrule the plans that her mother and father had for her. So she had gone to a strict military-style boarding school, played sports--in short, she had been the son her father always wanted.

The next week, I had the chance to talk about the work I had done writing, and my hopes to have a book published.

The week after that, Paolo revealed that his late wife was tied to our neighborhood--a sister of Capricia Volante.

And the next week Andre shared his desire to find a job, and Paolo promised to get him an interview with the downtown real estate company.

As much as I liked to pretend that I was reaching out to the community around me as part of my Christian duty, I was driven by selfish means. Without Josephine, Marco, or Dante to keep me company, I was lonely.

Meanwhile...

Damiano Volante was a man who enjoyed his work. He was a botanist of the finest order and was credited in half a dozen new species of flowers. He was hard at work in his laboratory creating yet another new species.

But unlike for his last projects, this was one that his wife Capricia had taken an active interest. For the third time this week, he heard Capricia's high-heeled footsteps coming up the stairs to his lab. A moment later she arrived and asked, "Is it ready yet?"

"No, dear," said Dr. Volante. "I'm afraid I've hit a metaphorical wall. My crossbreeding isn't working as well as I thought--"

Capricia waved his words away impatiently. "Spare me the bio-babble, Damiano. I'm not interested in your excuses, only your results!"

"I'm well aware," Dr. Volante replied apologetically. "I'm working as fast as I can."

"As I said: results, Doctor."

Later that week...

Once again a new family had moved into the neighborhood although this family could hardly be considered 'new'. Indeed, thirty-six years ago (twenty-one years before I came to the neighborhood), one of the people moving in had been born at this very house.

Amelia Somerset (née Waldorf) was widowed again. Her first husband had died in World War II. Her second, a London stock-broker, had had an unfortunate accident in the lift of their flat just weeks after the birth of their daughter, Andrea. Her third husband had been a loud-mouthed Irish rugby player who was killed on the field when tackled by the entire defensive line. Her fourth husband had been to the wealthy, aged Lord Sebastien Somerset, from whose death she retained a title and wealth.

Andrea had been a sickly child, unable to travel much and a constant burden to her mother's attempts to enjoy life as a young woman. But now Andrea was recognized as the asset that she was, for Lady Somerset was now a member of the nobility. Sons were good for carrying out the family name. Daughters were useful for marrying off.

But as they settled down for their first meal in a half-unpacked home, Lady Somerset thought that perhaps she would like to marry again. After all, there was something to be said about the lucky number five. But given the fate of her past husbands, just how lucky would that number be for her next husband?

Meanwhile...

While the Somersets were unpacking their belongings, Judith O'Reilly was doing what she had been doing for sustenance since her husband had fled the authorities. She cut and dyed hair in her home for a moderate fee, and so when Angela Giorelli came in deciding that it was time for a chance, Judith helped her pick out a bold choice.

But Angela's decision on a new hairstyle was nothing compared to the decision that Judith herself was contemplating.

After the haircut, Angela and Judith had a cup of coffee and Judith shared her idea with Angela: "I want to open my own salon. The area is growing quite fast and we don't really have a reliable hair-care service in town. What do you think?"

Angela, somewhat shocked but deeply impressed by her new hairstyle, offered Judith friendly encouragement. "You have a real talent, Judith, and I think you could be very successful."

And so Judith's ambitions to become an entrepreneur blossomed. What Judith didn't know, in that thrilling moment of affirmation, was that this choice was to put her and others on a collision course with a deadly foe.
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2008, 03:09:17 am »

I love this story! Your updates are awesome. I must demand more. I'll stay here until there is one.

*pulls out a camp chair, tent, table, a computer, sims and choc-chip cookies with milk.*

No more hiding
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2008, 01:39:19 pm »

The Inheritance
Chapter 3 - Part V
July 1964

The first week in July, Paolo Esposito called me. "Listen, I have to go to Rome to pick up a piano. Yes...a piano. It was my wife's and we didn't have room in the van the first time--I won't bore you with the details. But I wanted to ask if you wanted to come. I know your husband lives there and I thought you might like to visit since I'll be going that way."

I paused for a moment to consider. It was a few hours' drive, but if I left a meatloaf in the oven for Andre and Lara with instructions, they could manage. "Yes," I said. "I think I'd like that."

"I'll pick you up at seven in the morning," said Paolo, and he disconnected.

The next day, Paolo was as good as his word. He arrived after I had got the children up for school and we set off for Rome before the oddly out-of-season frost had managed to melt.

On the way, he told me the story of the piano. It had belonged to his wife, a concert-quality pianist, but he had been unable to find room for it in the van with his other furniture.

It was a pleasant ride, I'll admit. We talked and joked, laughing along the way. I knew that his company was a welcome change from helping my son with his homework and reading to my daughter--a realization that hit me with a pang of guilt. But I told myself that I was going to visit Dante, so my justification was sound.

And I could tell that Paolo was happy to have adult company, as well. It was a win-win situation. That is, until we arrived at Dante's apartment.

I knocked on Dante's door. It was the first time I had been to the apartment, so I wasn't sure I had the right number until the door finally opened and a very shocked Dante let me in.

Despite the happiness I felt at seeing my husband, I could tell that my surprise visit had annoyed him somewhat--whether it was because I had surprised him, or because I was even there I didn't know.

We talked about the new neighbors, Judith's burgeoning business plan, and the children's accomplishments in school.

By the time our visit ended, Dante was physically relieved, I could tell, to see me go. I tried to understand his position, but I couldn't deny that my feelings were hurt by his brusqueness. He kissed my cheek and saw me out.

But little did I know that it wasn't my presence that had him on edge, but the presence of someone else...

...who was up the stairs...

...and through the bedroom...

...but most of all he was nervous that I would discover his extramarital secrets.

Later that month...

As it turned out, Lady Somerset worked a lot more quickly than even she could have imagined and within two months of moving in had caught and captivated her old childhood friend Lord Grant Thornycroft. The last week of August the neighborhood was invited to their engagement party.

I came in from the backyard where I had been visiting the plaque that was dedicated to Esther. But as I silently shut the door behind me, I found that I had walked into another secretive conversation between Capricia Volante and Grant Thornycroft.

"Do you imagine that this changes anything?" asked Capricia quietly, her voice like silk against the phonograph music wafting from the living room. "Your engagement doesn't change how I feel or what I want, Grant."

"I'm engaged to be married, Cap--Signora Volante. I can't do this, I have to think of my new family," said Grant, tugging the collar of his uniform. "Please, this has to stop."

"I get what I want," said Capricia as she reached out to smooth the sash on Grant's uniform. "You should know that by now."

"I should get back to my fiance," Grant said sternly, and he walked away.

Meanwhile, Paolo was introducing himself to Angela.

"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Giorelli."

"Actually, it's Mrs. Giorelli. Unfortunately," said Angela with a smirk.

"Sorry?" asked Paolo, confused.

Angela explained, "My husband, Giovanni, is in a coma. It's a shame because I can't divorce him until he wakes up."

"Giovanni Giorelli? Did he happen to serve in the War?"

"Why yes," said Angela. "Do you know him?"

"Was he a sniper?" asked Paolo.

"Yes he was."

"I knew him. We served together. He's in a coma? That's too bad."

"Don't feel too bad," said Angela with a chuckle. "He did try to kill me."

"Oh..."

As the party was winding down, we gathered in the living room. As we continued to chat, I was lost in thought, wondering if I should discuss what I overheard between Grant and Capricia. Finally, after conferring with Adela, I said, "Lady Somerset, I'd like to invite you to our ladies' social gathering the day after tomorrow. We'd so love to have you."

"Thank you," said Lady Somerset graciously. "I would very much like that."

Little did I know that that by inviting Lady Somerset to the gathering with the intentions I had, I was just asking for trouble.
Zorom

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:06 am »

Ooh, cliffhanger. More, more!

CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2008, 01:18:05 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 3 - Part VI
August 1964

It was the first week of August when we held our next ladies' social gathering.

I pulled Lady Somerset aside while the ladies were enjoying cocktails. I wasn't sure how to broach the subject of Capricia's predatory nature, so I finally decided to just say what I needed to say.

"Listen, I know it's none of my business," I said quietly. "But you should know that Capricia...you know, Mrs. Volante?...well, I've overheard her twice...er...propositioning your groom-to-be."

"Whatever can you mean? I've found Capricia to be just lovely," said Lady Somerset.

"She is. I'm just warning you that--" I broke off as Lady Somerset glanced up. I turned to see Capricia standing on the landing.

"I'm sorry," said Caprcia with a smile. "I didn't mean to intrude, Elizabeth, but I was wondering if you should show me where the powder room is?"

I stood and showed her to the powder room. Before Capricia went in, she put a hand on my forearm and said, "By the way, Elizabeth, if I were you I'd worry about my own marriage before butting my nose into other people's business. I'll pass on your respects to your husband--remember that he lives next door to my apartment in Rome."

As soon as Capricia disappeared into the powder room, I hurried up the stairs to my bedroom to call Dante. I didn't know what I would say, what there was to say. As it turns out, I didn't have to worry about that; Dante didn't pick up the phone.

I sat in the dark for a few, frustrated and suspicious. Guilt at my suspicions compounded the unsettling feeling in my stomach. But I had guests to consider. I straightened my dress and walked back down the stairs.

I put the food out on the buffet, and some of the ladies offered to help. I could tell by the way that Adela looked at me that she could tell I was upset, but when she opened her mouth to ask, I turned back to the ladies and said, "The buffet is now open. Please, help yourselves."

The next day...

It was my son André's first day on the job for Real Estate Italia, and he was given an unpleasant task that brought him to Judith O'Reilly's house. She invited him in for lemonade and cookies.

"I'm afraid I'm here on business, Mrs. O'Reilly. Your bid to buy the lot on Primo Street has been rejected by REI," he said between cookies. "The owners are looking for another type of business."

"What do you mean?" asked Judith. "That building has stood empty for over a year. Surely they'd rather have someone there, using it and paying rent, than letting it rot."

"I'm sorry, but the word is final. I have the file here for you." André slid the file across the table to her. "I've got to go, but thanks for the cookies, Mrs. O'Reilly, and the lemonade."

Later that week...

I needed to talk to someone about Capricia's accusation, but I needed someone who wouldn't go blabbing it around the neighborhood, so I went to Paolo. When I got there, Giorgia was playing on the piano.

"Can we talk?" I asked Paolo. He nodded and asked Giorgia to go upstairs.

"What's bothering you?" he asked as we sat at the table. "You look exhausted. Are you feeling okay?"

I told him about my predicament, about what Capricia had said, and how I didn't know what to do next.

After I finished my story, he took my hands in his and squeezed them. "Don't worry about a thing, Elizabeth. I'm going to get to the bottom of this for you, all right? Capricia is probably lying. So don't you worry."

I nodded, grateful for the strength Paolo was showing me. It helped me to feel grounded and more confident. "Thank you, Paolo. You're a good friend."

He hugged me and promised to call when he found anything. Part of me couldn't wait for the call. The rest of me hoped that Paolo wouldn't find anything.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:06:08 pm by CuriousSimmer » Logged
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:16 am »

O.o luv ur stories, must have more *smiles sweetly*

No more hiding