Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:37:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: The Inheritance: Chapter 5 - Part II (Updated 11/14)  (Read 48011 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
eefje00704

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:50 pm »

Well yeah, now you need good evidence to convict someone, but back then in a little town in Italy ... I don't think CSI had been invented yet. I think it's realistic to think that some people got convicted wrongfully.

Oh yes, great update btw!
Trepie22

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:06 pm »

This story is amazing! Really great, I love it Smiley
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2008, 10:37:55 pm »

The Inheritance
Chapter 4 - Part VII
November 1964

The trial progressed. Judge Vicenzi said, "The prosecution may call its first witness."

The prosecutor rose. "Thank you, your honor. The prosecution calls Signora Adela de Luca."

When Adela had been sworn in, they began their questioning. "Signora de Luca, you are a friend of Signora Moretti, are you not?"

"Yes."

"And you and she share personal things?"

"Yes."

"How would you describe Signora Moretti's marriage?"

Adela looked at me, and then looked past me. By the way her eyebrows furrowed, I could tell she was looking at Dante. "It was happy, as far as I could tell. I've known Elizabeth and Dante for almost twenty years and not until about a year ago did I think that Elizabeth was unhappy."

"And why do you suppose she was?"

"Her husband was spending much time away from home in his job."

"And when did you first find out about Signor Moretti's infidelity?"

"I don't remember the day. A few days before the fundraiser. We had our usual meeting and we were talking about the things that were going on in our lives. And she told us she found out that Dante was having an affair with his chief aide, Chiara Castelli."

"Was she angry?"

"I don't know."

"Let me rephrase: did she seem angry?"

"No," said Adela. "She seemed sad, and hurt, but she didn't seem angry."

"Thank you, Signora de Luca. No further questions."

"I have no questions, your honor," said my attorney, and before she stepped down, Adela gave me a sad, apologetic smile. I felt the corners of my mouth turn up, as if to tell her that she had nothing to worry about.

"The prosecution calls Signora Capricia Volante."

"Signora Volante," said the prosecutor after she had been put under oath. "You are friends with Signora Moretti as well, are you not?"

"I am. I also have an apartment next door to Signor Moretti's apartment in the city."

"I see. You were there when Signora Moretti revealed her knowledge of her husband's infidelity?"

"Yes," said Capricia. "It was precisely as Adela de Luca described. Except..." she hesitated.

"Except what, Signora?" asked the prosecutor, leaning towards her over the podium. "Please be reminded that you are under oath."

She sighed. "She did seem angry to me. She looked like she might hurt someone."

"Thank you. No further questions."

"Signora, what makes you say that my client looked like she might hurt someone?"

"I can't say," said Capricia. "It was a feeling."

"I see," said my attorney, clearly discounting her. "Did she say anything to that effect?"

"No."

"Did she do anything to suggest that she intended to hurt her husband?"

"No."

"No more questions."

The questions went on and on. They called Angela next and badgered her until she confessed that my family had been at odds with hers for years, and that her husband had been attacked under mysterious circumstances.

My attorney seemed unable to walk that back, even with sworn affidavits that I had been home the entire day. The prosecution suggested that I may have paid a hitman, both to attack Giorelli and my husband, but there was no evidence that I had withdrawn any money beyond the usual expenses.

Yes, the trial seemed to go on forever, until we were nearing the end of November. Every intimate detail of my life, from my marriage to Dante to the humiliating affair was aired before the court. But they still had nothing to link me to the crime.

Their biggest support came from the fact that I had no alibi for the night Giovanni Giorelli went missing and Angela's house was ransacked. Try as I might, even I couldn't remember where I had been. But I knew that I hadn't stolen Angela's husband's rifle and used it to kill Chiara Castelli.

I knew it, but would anyone else believe it?
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

I used to be as mad as a hatter

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2008, 12:41:02 am »

awesome update

No more hiding
Don't be afraid of what's inside
Anytime anybody pulls you down
Anytime anybody says you're not allowed
Just remember you are not alone
Leslie07

Simming Since 2002

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32:41 pm »

Very nice! :happy8: Looking forward to reading more!
magma067

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »

I luv it, cant wait till the next update i hope they find poor betty innocent thats so unfair, u cant arrest someone if u have no proof! i really hope dante doesnt think for a second betty killed chaira and attempted to kill him. right now i'm not liking him one bit!

:tongue8:Tay Tay and Roxi are BFFL
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live
Nobody ever said you had to be nice, it's just the right thing to do
:tongue7:
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:44 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 4 - Part VIII
November 1964

You can learn a lot from the conversations that people have in a courtroom. As I made my way to the defendant's table, I overheard snippets of a conversation by my friends who had gathered, whether for support or because they would testify.

Paolo came to sit in the back of the courtroom. I hadn't seen him since the night of the shooting. It had been too confusing to seek his presence after the shooting, and he seemed content to keep his distance. He was talking to Judith.

"I'm sure she'll be acquitted," I heard Paolo tell Judith, who was wringing her hands. "I'm sure of it."

I opened the gate and stepped up to the table; the prosecutor was standing near the table talking to my attorney. They didn't look up as I approached. I heard the prosecutor say, "There's still time to make a deal. Ten years for third degree murder."

"We'll take our chances," said my lawyer. I had already told him that I did not want a plea agreement: I was innocent.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Dante standing there, looking downcast. He tried to offer me a smile, but it came off more as a grimace.

"Feeling all right?" he asked me awkwardly.

I nodded, swallowing hard. "I think so."

"I'm right behind you," he said and patted my forearm.

"Thank you," I said. Judge Vicenzi came across to his desk and gaveled the court into session.

"Order! Order in my courtroom. The prosecution may begin."

The prosecution called Judith to the stand and proceeded to harass her about my role in the departure of her husband. "She helped me," said Judith hotly. "She didn't hurt anyone, she didn't hurt my husband. He just left."

And then finally...

...it was my turn.

"Signora Moretti, when did you first find out about your husband's affair with Singorina Castelli?" asked the prosecutor.

"Capricia Volante hinted about it in...I believe it was the first weekend in August. I heard conclusively later that month."

"You found out about it the same day that Giovanni Giorelli went missing? The day that Signora Giorelli's house was robbed?" demanded the prosecutor.

"That's what I understand, yes."

"And where were you that evening?"

I hesitated. "I don't know. I...I spent the evening with a friend and I...well, I'm afraid I had too much to drink and I blacked out." I blushed profusely at this, flames rising in my cheeks.

This continued until the prosecutor ended his questioning. My attorney began his cross-examination. "Signora, you fell asleep and woke up at the same place that night, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"And you have no reason to believe that you left that location under the influence of alcohol?"

"No."

"The prosecution has no evidence to suggest that you did, either. And the night of the shooting, you were upstairs."

"Yes."

"Signora, at any point have you conspired with, paid, asked, requested, or been otherwise party to knowledge about a plot to assassinate, or attempt to assassinate, your husband and his assistant?"

I raised my chin defiantly and said firmly, "No."

"No further questions."

The prosecutor stood to re-direct. "Signora, if you were at a friend's house, why have you not named them? Why have they not come forward? Are we expected to take your word on this matter? You could have been organizing your husband's assassination and stealing the rifle to use in the shooting."

"I ... I can't," I said, flushing profusely. What would they say if they knew the truth? What would my husband and friends think if I'd spent the night, drunk, in the house of a single man? "It's...I wasn't doing any of that. I was..." I was interrupted when someone else shouted in the courtroom.

"She was with me," Paolo said loudly. "I was the one who told her that Signor Moretti was having an affair. She had too much to drink so she slept on my couch."

The courtroom went into a roar, and the judge banged the gavel, shouting angrily, "Order! Order! I will have order!" He pointed his gavel at Paolo. "You sir, come forward."

Paolo came forward; I covered my mouth in embarrassment. The judge said, "State your name and business."

"Paolo Esposito, your honor."

"And would you take an oath on the truthfulness of your...outburst?"

"I would, your honor."

He waved the bailiff forward and Paolo was sworn in. "It was all true, your honor. The Signora was there the whole night."

"Your honor," said my attorney, drawing the prosecutor's attention. "Sir, with all due respect, I ask you for a mistrial. The prosecution's entire case was that my client could have broken into the Giorelli house and could have kidnapped Giovanni Giorelli, framing him for the assassination. Since she has a sworn alibi, the prosecution has no case."

The judge frowned. "I want both of you in chambers. We will recess for ten minutes."

Ten minutes later...

"The defendant will please rise," said the judge.

"Ladies and gentlemen; Signora Moretti," began the judge. "I am hereby declaring a mistrial. To be honest, I had misgivings about issuing a warrant for your arrest, Signora, on the slim evidence that the prosecution had, but it was sufficient."

He turned to the prosecutor. "Signor Bemelli, bear in mind that should the state wish to re-issue charges against the Signora, you will need a far stronger case. Frankly, you haven't got it."

"Signora," he said, turning back to me. He offered a sad smile. "You are free to go with the court's apologies."
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27:41 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 4 - Part IX
November-December 1964

I gathered with Judith, Angela, and Adela in the hallway outside the courtroom. We all embraced to celebrate my victory. "Well," said Adela, dabbing her eyes with her sleeve, "Now that you're free, you can get back to hosting our gatherings."

"We've been fasting," Judith explained. "No gatherings without you!"

"It'll be so good to be home. They're unsealing the villa so we can move back in," I said with a relieved sigh. I could hardly believe that the trial had ended so abruptly. "I..."

My voice trailed off as I looked across the hall.

"Could you ladies excuse me?" I asked. "I'll be in touch...we can plan a get together after the holidays."

"Sure," said Adela, and I moved over to Paolo.

"Thank you," I said, embracing him. "You saved my life."

"It was the truth," said Paolo, smiling. "It was the very least I could do to prevent a serious miscarriage of justice."

"Elizabeth?" a voice said from behind me. I turned to see Dante waiting.

"I have to go," I said. "Thank you, Paolo. Goodbye."

It was dark when we stepped out of the courthouse and began the drive home. I was elated and couldn't help but to gush, "Oh, what a relief. I'm so glad to be able to be back with the children. They must've been so worried."

"They were," said Dante dully.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Is anything the matter?"

"Nothing, except the whole town knows our personal business," said Dante. "And Chi--Signorina Castelli's killer walks free." He glanced covertly at me.

"You can't possibly think--" I began, then fell silent. "I was cleared, Dante!"

"You weren't found not guilty. The charges were dropped."

I gaped at him. Could he honestly believe that I would hurt him? That I would hire someone to shoot at a house that had my friends in it? My children?

"You do, don't you? You think I was behind all this."

His silence spoke volumes. We continued on in silence for several long minutes.

"Dante," I said coldly, without looking over at him. Struggling to keep my voice in control, I said simply, "I want a divorce."

Two weeks later...

Christmas was in the air, and Dante and I had decided that we would try to make this a pleasant Christmas for the children before we officially filed for divorce.

Josephine and Marco came home a week before Christmas, and that Saturday, Josephine and I went out shopping for gifts.

When she came out of the store she had left me outside of, we began walking up the street to another shop. "So how are you holding up, mom? Are you and dad working things out?"

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Do you think Marco could use a new desk set? He's always saying how much he writes."

"I got him a diary," said Josephine. "But really mom, I mean it. How are you?"

We stopped to look into a shop window and I hesitated. "Do you feel like some coffee?" I asked. "I know a nice little place nearby, and it's so chilly."

We settled in for coffee. "Oh!" said Josephine before I could bring myself to tell her. "Mom, do you think we could have Mrs. O'Reilly and Donovan over for Christmas dinner? He's going to be in town."

I smiled at her. "Of course, dear. The more the merrier." I reached out and stroked her hair lightly. "Just promise not to wear that ridiculous hat."

"Deal," she said. "So tell me about you and dad."

I hesitated. "I wasn't going to say anything because it's Christmas, and I wanted it to be pleasant for you kids," I said. "But I know you're relentless and won't give up until I come clean."

"And?" asked Josephine.

"I asked him for a divorce."

The look on my daughter's face, of resigned sadness and mingled shock, sent guilt rolling in my gut. I took her hands between mine and offered a smile, tinged with my own sadness.

"Marriage takes a lot of sacrifice," I told her, tears welling in my eyes. "But I don't think I can live with a man who believes I tried to kill him."

"Don't worry, mother," said Josephine, squeezing my hands. "I completely understand."

But I don't think she did. I hoped that she did not and never would understand what it felt like to be betrayed by the man you loved on a level even deeper than infidelity.

She deserved better.
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

I used to be as mad as a hatter

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2008, 01:57:31 am »

O.O wonderful, where do you get your inspiration?

No more hiding
Don't be afraid of what's inside
Anytime anybody pulls you down
Anytime anybody says you're not allowed
Just remember you are not alone
shibby559559

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47:01 am »

ooh i love this story, you are such a good writer! I wish I was as good as you!
TheRandomTeam

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2008, 09:49:46 pm »

great update, i'm so happy updates r coming so fast u really have a great story coming along. keep up the great work!
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:10 am »

The Inheritance
Chapter 4 - Part X
December 1964

Christmas Day

Some things that pile up in nearly twenty years of marriage are easy to quantify.

There are the things that a couple accumulates, like furniture, household goods, and trinkets such as the serving platter we received for our tenth anniversary.

But what about the photographs and the memories that were attached to them? How did one determine who got what?

And what of the time spent on a marriage, the nearly two decades of time that one invested in a relationship? I could never get it back.

The doorbell rang, stirring me from my reverie. I went into the hall to see my daughter opening the door.

Josephine and Donovan kissed hello while Judith and I exchanged slightly abashed looks. Josephine said, "Merry Christmas, Donovan. Merry Christmas, Mrs. O'Reilly."

"Thank you. And thank you for having us," said Judith.

"Donovan, Dante is in the kitchen if you'd like a cocktail," I said.

Fifteen minutes later we all sat down to dinner. "How's school coming, Josephine?" asked Judith as she cut her turkey. "I hope my son isn't distracting you too much from your studies," she said wryly.

"Not at all," said Josephine with a grin. "I should graduate next year."

"Any plans after that?" she asked.

"We'll see."

"So, dad," said Marco, leaning in to peer down the table at his father. "Have you decided whether you'll run for re-election? They're coming up, aren't they?"

"I've got time," Dante said simply, then looked back down to his plate.

Andre leaned forward too. "Are you all right, dad? You don't sound so good?"

"I'm fine," replied Dante without looking up.

After dinner, but before dessert, Donovan cleared his throat and said, "Signor Moretti, Signora Moretti, if you don't mind. I'd like to give Josephine one last Christmas gift."

I looked across the table and saw Dante finally take interest. A secret smile passed between him and Donovan and then Donovan placed a small felt case on the table between himself and Josephine.

"What's this?" she asked, her voice shaking.

"Open it."

There was a ring with a small diamond inset. Josephine pulled it from the box, finally managing to tear her eyes from it up to Donovan.

"Will you marry me?" he asked.

Josphine laughed and slipped the ring onto her finger. "Of course I will, yes."

There was much cheering. It was the perfect ending to a beautiful family meal. Too bad, then, that it came when another marriage was dissolving. But at least for now, we were together; a family united by blood and love.

And though a part of me was sad, shocked to find that my daughter was no longer the little girl she should have been, I knew that I wasn't losing a daughter, but gaining a son.

One week later...

The school holiday was over, and Dante volunteered to drive Josephine to the train depot while I got Andre and Lara ready to resume school the next morning.

"I'm sorry about the divorce," said Josephine to Dante as they drove through the darkness. "I don't know what to say."

"Sometimes there's just nothing to say," Dante replied, smiling at Josephine sadly. What a fine girl she had been, and grown into a fine young woman. He couldn't have been prouder if she was his own flesh and blood.

"Do you really think mom...tried to kill you?" Josephine asked incredulously. "I realize you're hurt, but I can't imagine she would do anything to hurt anyone, regardless of how..." her voice trailed off.

"How I hurt her," Dante said, his voice catching a little. Josephine nodded and Dante continued. "No, I don't think she did anything of the sort. But...it's complicated."

"Daddy, I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm going to get married myself, soon," she said, twisting her engagement ring. "Don't think I won't understand. Try me."

Dante sighed. "I know you're not. It's just so hard for me to accept that you're not a little girl anymore. It seems like yesterday you were small enough to fit in the crook of my arm."

"Dad," she said. "Do you love mom?"

"Yes."

"Then how can you let her think you suspect her?" Josephine demanded.

Dante was silent for awhile, thoughtfully looking out the windshield. Finally, he confessed, "It's easier for me to pretend to be angry with her than to admit to myself that I hurt her. It's easier for me to be silent than to do what I know I should: beg for her forgiveness and throw myself at her mercy."

Josephine reached out and touched her father's hand on the steering wheel. "You have to tell her."

"I'm afraid," Dante whispered, his voice cracking. "She could refuse to forgive me."

"That's the price you pay for what you've done," said Josephine sadly.

Dante nodded his head, and they were silent for a few more minutes until he parked at the train station. "Let me help with your bag," he said.

"I'm fine. Donovan's waiting for me," said Josephine. She kissed Dante's cheek and said, "Tell her, daddy. She loves you."

Dante watched Josephine walk into the station with her bag and then stared at the train as it pulled out of the station. He was still watching a long time later when it disappeared from his view, deep in thought.

An hour later...

We had agreed to tell Andre and Lara about our plans to divorce that night when he returned. I was nervously waiting on the couch, watching the news with them when Dante finally returned. As he came over, I switched off the set and sat back down. "Andre, Lara, there is something that your father and I need to tell you."

"What's going on?" Andre demanded suspiciously.

I hesitated, twiddling my thumbs. "Your father and I have decided that it would be better for both of us if we get a divorce," I finally said. "He's going to move out of the house."

"What?" Andre said incredulously.

"How come?" Lara demanded.

"Sometimes, two people just...can't live together anymore," I said, my heart breaking at the look of sadness in my daughter's eyes. "But we'll both still be here for you, and we both love you very much. You and your brothers and sisters," I added, looking warmly at Andre.

"Liar!" said Lara.

"This is your fault," she said, pointing at me. "You left for all that time and then when you came back it was different. You did it!"

I felt the couch shift and looked to see Dante sitting next to me. For a moment I longed for him to put an arm around me and pull me close...

...but he didn't. He simply said, "Lara, don't speak to your mother that way. If I ever hear that you did, you're going to be in serious trouble."

He paused, then blew out a sigh. "This is hard, for both of us and it will be hard for you. But it's my fault, Lara. My fault, Andre. I did something wrong, not your mother. She's only been kind and gracious and loving for you. So you will respect her, do you understand?"

"Yes sir," chorused Lara and Andre, but the former still looked angry.

I glanced at Dante as if to say thank you, and he smiled. It was the first genuine smile he had given me in months. And then tears welled in his eyes and the wall of coldness fell over him again, leaving me on the outside.

"Bedtime, my darlings," I said, clearing my throat. "We can talk about this more tomorrow if you have questions. But everything is going to be fine, I promise."

But was that a promise I could keep?

End of Chapter 4
CuriousSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2008, 02:57:47 am »

It's time for a poorly made preview of Chapter 5!

There are some loose ends that I've been letting hang out for a bit, and it seems like it might be confusing, so I'm going to try to explain it all in chapter 5. I've been unable to tell as much of the story as I'd like but I hope it will all make sense at the end.

Thanks everyone for reading!
eefje00704

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2008, 04:49:31 am »

No, thank YOU for writing!
magma067

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2008, 05:16:31 pm »

thank u so  much-this update was great...i hope dante and elizabeth get back 2gether

:tongue8:Tay Tay and Roxi are BFFL
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live
Nobody ever said you had to be nice, it's just the right thing to do
:tongue7:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: