Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 12:40:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! Please : P  (Read 7694 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
elhx92

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »

When people have pictures of their sims how are the pics so clear and flawless is there a program or something?:snorting:

PLEASE HELP!
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:40:40 pm »

Photoshop is a good program.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
ToxicKitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:02:07 pm »

maybe their video cards have something to do with the quality of the pictures?

:smt115  i lick electrical outlets for fun
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:34:05 pm »

Actually, you can touch-up pictures with a paint program/photoshop. I've done it myself.

Or you can use Photobucket or Imageshack.

The Sims 3.........NO!
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »

Quote from: ToxicKitten;1293149
maybe their video cards have something to do with the quality of the pictures?

Barely.  Wink  It factors in a little, but like EKozski said, a lot of it is photo enhancements and touch-ups done through an image-editing program like Photoshop, GIMP, and nowdays even Photobucket has options for enhancement.  :angel:

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:31:18 pm »

It's a combination of both video card and touching up with an image-editing program. The better the card you have, the less touch-ups you'll have to do. I have a great (pair) of video cards and do very little editing. So you're all right Smiley

BTW, I use Photoshop CS2
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:35:13 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
heidi_aston

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:27:45 am »

well it is either a good graphics card or it's because they are taking pictures using the printscreen (PrtScn) button on your keyboard, doing that can sometimes really give your sims pictures that good quality, the camera in-game is quite cr@ppy

Oh and maybe a good photoshop programme Cheesy

You gotta learn to laugh, it's the way to true love.:love1:
Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:06 am »

-tweaking in-game pic options
-graphics card awesomeness
-good photo editing program (For the record, I use Paint.NET)
Karla!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:40 am »

in case you dont have photoshop [i have it but have a very hard time understanding it] you can dowload a similar program for free[just google it or something] called photoscape..its amazing =)

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:09:14 pm »

I use Gadwin Printscreen for my story pics now (so that I can save the pictures without going in and out of the game all the time - remember: save as TIFF files) and Adobe Photoshop CS3 (plus that I've got around 3-4 years of experience using the programme at school and also a digital photography course)

also, turn all graphics up ingame, and if you still want to use the C-button pics, use the largest picture size available.

In photoshop I also use the brightness/contrast option (in the layer panel) for getting a small colour boost to the pics (but don't take it too far - it can make the pic look ugly wiht too much of it, as goes with all filters and so on. Less is more!), and I also use the smart sharpen filter before resizing a picture (this helps a lot - but don't put on too much). I also mostly use PNG files since JPG files have a tendency to turn down the picture quality a little.

and also remember that the less editing a picture needs after it's taken, the better it is, and the less work it is for you afterwards. There are also plenty of picture taking/editing tutorials both here at insim and on the MTS2-related sites.

hope this helps Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:26:35 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:44:51 pm »

Just a combination of good graphics card, turning smooth edges on (as well as maxing everything else) and using PrintScreen (I use Gadwin which saves the pics instead of just copying to the clipboard) can make all the difference. Sharpening before resizing is all I have to do after that for pics like this...

... and you can do that in Photobucket if you don't have any software.

Of course, if you want to spruce them up a little (or a lot!), you'll need something like Photoshop. This Photoscape looks very interesting too, I'll have to check that out - thanks for that karla Smiley

@theraven: Is there a difference between capturing in TIFF and saving as PNG, to capturing in PNG and saving in JPG with max settings? I gather JPG shrinks the file size, which is kinder on bandwidth when you're loading the page :dontknow: If there's a visible difference, on the other hand.. :?

No requests please
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Sadie, I know there's a definite difference, because I save my images as TIFF files myself.  When I updated my GIMP, I noticed how BMP files would always open up blue/green/yellow and kind of oddish, in both GIMP and my main editing program (even though the thumbnail previews showed the shots in normal colors)... and PNG files had this "layering" about it that would screw up when you saved your edited image (for example, say you had hair and clothes that used alphas, and they were in your pictures.  Instead of the alpha channels staying transparent, where they're supposed to be, once you save your edited image, the "transparent" areas turn "grey").  I suppose this doesn't quite happen to everyone, but it has happened on my end... and annoyed me, because it never happened before until I updated.  :dontknow:

TIFF files open up without such issues for me, and they don't "compress" like BMP, JPG, and PNG files (even though PNG compresses less than JPG and BMP, it still compresses nonetheless)... meaning you won't loose the full quality from that after editing or cropping your shots and saving them as JPG files.  Plus the fact that they seemingly save at a consistent file size.  All of my TIFF images are less than 3MB, while I notice all my old BMP and PNG files are all over the place from 1MB-6MB.  May not be too noticeable at first, but I tried it out after I found out PNG are compressed a little after first saving.  Hardly any difference, except in file size. :smile bi:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:21:27 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:51 pm »

This picture was taken in game. No print screen. I just hit the camera, and used Gimp to sharpen it a bit, then soften.

My graphics aren't on high, I didn't smooth it out. It was saved as a JPG file. And, I have a crappy video card.

The Sims 3.........NO!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 11:49:15 am »

LOL...OK, I can't resist...I have to jump on the bandwagon. I'm going to show you the differences between using the in game camera and printscreen/Gadwin and the difference between cards.

This is using my old Radeon 9650 (256mb) card and the in game camera, with my settings all on high and smooth edges on, etc and no photoshop editting to speak of.  It's ok, but I can do better.

Now this next one is with the same card, taken with Gadwin. I adjusted the lighting and sharpened it. Better.

Now this is taken using my new(er) dual Radeon x1950 (512mb) cards. I used Gadwin and the only touchup work I did was to use the smart sharpen tool set at something ridiculously low like 18%.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:19:36 pm »

*is in envy over graphics cards with 512MB...*  :drool:

If only I had the money and proper computer for such... I'm going nuts with my random lag moments on my poor (and gradually failing) 128MB card.  Sad

Oh well.  One can dream.  :lol:

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: