Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:43:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: blue screen  (Read 10113 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Marn39

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:13:40 am »

When I am playing OFB, the family that I am playing will often slow down, and then it goes to the light blue screen as though something is interfereing with the game or game play, as it has done in the pass when Trend Mirco would update, now I have cancelled  trend mirco while I play the game, but this has been happening pretty much since I installed the game, does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this.

In the pass when the blue screen happened before the game would min; and take me out of game to desk top, but now it goes to blue screen, egg timer appears and then it goes back to the game and house I was playing in, after a few minutes, it is simply a pain and keeps interupting game play, can anyone help please.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 01:13:26 am by Marn39 » Logged
Ali
Short, fat n Cuddly!
Admin

I got a luverly bunch of c.... oops, wrong site!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:52:07 am »

What's your system stats?

"They're a rum lot, the Yorkshire folk. You can't fool them, you certainly can't get away with much and they call a spade a spade. Or rather, they call a spade 'a bloody shovel'" Mark Addy
gethane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:22:37 pm »

I've been dealing with this since I installed the OFB patch. I have an Nvidia GeForce 66oo GT. I had to begin with, drivers from February. To try and fix it, I installed newest drivers from March. Still had problem. So then I uninstalled, used Driver Cleaner Pro, and installed drivers from last August, 7801. Instead of the blue screen/hourglass, now after a bit, I get a "screenshake" problem. The game still plays in the background, however, I cannot see it progress as I have boxes and menus shaking all over my screen.

Today I even removed all my custom content and it still happened. I went back to using my disk, rather than other methods. I went to  81.95 driver. Then it appeared fixed so i added back in my custom content, and then my game went back to doing the bluescreen/hourglass thing.

I'm about 90% certain this ONLY appeared after I installed the OFB patch. I don't recall having any trouble prior to that.

I have an Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB crucial memory (that I have tested with memtest 86)
Nvidia 6600GT
ASrock mobo with onboard sound and nic
SATAII hard drive
Win XP Pro with all updates
I run MS spyware, AVG virus overnight and online Trend Micro once a month. I opened up my case last Friday to make sure I didn't have dust/fan/heat issue. Since this system was rebuilt in December, it wasn't very dusty.

This is driving me insane. It really is.

podgeybean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:12 pm »

I think I have exactly the same problem. Blue screen for apparently no reason.( It happened when I clicked on the dresser once! Random!) It appears to be loading something......and then the game resumes. I had no problems untill i installed OFB. Its annoying me beacuse, this happened 3 times in an hour yesterday.

Athlon 64 3700+
1GB RAM
Nvidia 6600.

Seems to me we all have similar specs.....
gethane

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 01:20:53 pm »

Ok, I played pretty much all day Monday with no weirdnesses. The 3 things I did Monday before starting up game.

1) Checked my bios settings at my dh's suggestion. My video card type was set incorrectly (was set at pci). I changed it to agp.

2) And my aperature was set at 64 mb. I set it to 128. However, then when I tried to load sims, it wouldn't load. Then got an error message with no text, just a red circle with an X.

3) So then I deleted the groups.cache file from the Sims folder and then played pretty much all day Monday without trouble.

I haven't had a chance to play again since though

*sigh*

Its not fixed after all. I played for not even an hour last night and got the bluescreen/hourglass thing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:42:49 pm by jase439 » Logged

Vampyre

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 11:54:58 am »

I was just thinking myself that I tend NOT to disconnect from the internet anymore when I play or pause antivirus while I want to play.  I used to do that regularly when TS2 was new.

Not that XP alone can't find things to do which might cause you to pop out to the desktop frequently.

Ya might think about those first two things before ya play next time and see if it makes it any smoother.
Ali
Short, fat n Cuddly!
Admin

I got a luverly bunch of c.... oops, wrong site!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:52:05 pm »

OK, it can't be anything to do with your chips and graphics - I have an Athlon 64 3400 with 1GB ram and an nVidia 6800GT, with the latest drivers and I don't have problems

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

"They're a rum lot, the Yorkshire folk. You can't fool them, you certainly can't get away with much and they call a spade a spade. Or rather, they call a spade 'a bloody shovel'" Mark Addy
earthmagick12

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:04:55 pm »

The blue screen of death is happing to a lot of people, including myself. Check out this post on MTS2.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=1&page=5&pp=25

No one seems to know what is causing this. I still haven't been able to play. The people on MTS2 have tried everything from reinstalling to reformatting. Lots have new systems. All the new drivers are giving me the blue screen. I like many others are still testing older drivers.

AMD Athlon xp
1700+ 1.5gh
RAM 1025 gigs
Graphics Card: GeForce FX 5700 LE with 256mb
Direct X 9.0

AMD Athlon xp
1700+ 1.5ghz
RAM 1025 gigs
Raf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 05:11:41 pm »

Quote from: earthmagick12
The blue screen of death is happing to a lot of people, including myself. Check out this post on MTS2.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=1&page=5&pp=25

No one seems to know what is causing this. I still haven't been able to play. The people on MTS2 have tried everything from reinstalling to reformatting. Lots have new systems. All the new drivers are giving me the blue screen. I like many others are still testing older drivers.

AMD Athlon xp
1700+ 1.5gh
RAM 1025 gigs
Direct X 9.0
I dunno...I have 2 pc's playing OFB in my house..and the blue screen of death is happening in one, while in the other the game runs like a charm. Both machines have the exact model of graphics card (NVidia GForce FX 5700 LE, one with 128 MB and the other with 256 MB. The machine with the 128 MB card is the one who gets the blue screen of death) and so far I don't have a clue why is this happening

I want to be as evil as him :devill:
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 11:24:43 pm »

Have ask EA maxis support tech; for help with the blue screen, and he thought I should try and uninstall all the sims2 from 1st to last pack, defrag, and then reinstall and see if that helps the problem.

My graphics card is also NVidia GForce, Went through my specs with maxis support and he couldn't see why I would be having a problem, said that if this didn't work, to remove my custom content, but according to other sites it's not the custom content or downloads folder, and the tech; support  did say it sounds like a graphics issue (the Blue Screen)

I then ask if this didn't work could he suggest a graphics card that might work, he informed me that he had heard nothing about the problems of the blue screen or NVidia cards causing a problem with OFB, but he said that ATI is also another good graphics card, and I noticed on one of the other sites, anoter simmer has also suggest this brand, so lets see if reinstalling the game makes any difference
jinyc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 08:18:55 am »

Sadly EA's solution for almost any TS2 problem (or TS1 for that matter) is to uninstall, defrag and re-install. Well, here's in interesting bit of info. On my PC (ME updated to XP [FAT32]). when I defrag I always get the message that some files could not be defragged. Guess which? Yup, all my TS2 installs from TS2 thru EP3 (including the patches). So EA why do you insist on a defrag when it does nothing for TS2?Huh?? Oh well, is good for the PC.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO and it is still awesome but whenever AOL Spyware performs a scan or Norton starts a virus scan or simply updates, I always get the blue screen and am sent to the desk top. I have never had it spontaneously happen. It has to be so annoying for you all.

In any case, I have done the NVidia and now am a sworn lover of ATI.

Joey the Whinernator

http://www.insimenator.net/
Janey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 10:22:48 pm »

Im not really good at working out what specs i have but here goes, i opened up my system Properties. Smiley

Im running:
Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
3200+ AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
2.00GHz. 1.00GB Ram
64bit ATI Radeon Grafics card (I think) its very small and very old.

I used to have the exact same problem with the blue screen and hour glass before i installed OFB. I uninstalled my grafics drivers and installed very old drivers, this seemed to work.

I do know that if you have heaps of custom content (yes it takes ages to load) but also when you click on something whilst playing which is custom your computer has to search through all of your custom content and find it (like people it needs thinking/loading time).

Im not too sure as to whether reducing your custom content will work or not, try it and see if it works. It worked for me. Smiley
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 07:50:53 am »

Well uninstalling and reinstalling didn't absolutely nothing, the blue screen is still happening so I guess time to change graphics card to ATI, I love the sims but can not play the game the way it is.
susaninsturgis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 12:58:13 am »

Some thoughts here. Maybe you dont need a new card but its the settings possibly. I dont hear a lot of complaints on this. The reason I'm bringing this up when Poser 6 was released last year, there was a similiar problem, and I've tried to find links because it could be related. Curious Labs the software maker told us it was a card setting issue. In other words have you changed your Nividia settings by raising them. GO BACK TO DEFUALT setting, where it is kind of in the middle. The higher you raised is going to tax the card's performance and interfere with rendering and all. Also i know many of you want super realism so you set the game settings high to. It looks great I know but its hard on the card. And what if you have a lot of items with high poly count, mirrors, and all.  While its nice to take pictures with the high realism and it, is is hard on the game after a bit of play. I keep my settings at medium not high, when I had tried high, I started having problems. I was told to keep it off high, especially if you play for hours it could trash the card or you get the OES error screen to protect your computer and it shuts off Sad. This could be just simple settings issue, that you need to change.  Just a thought to consider.
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:31:19 am »

thankyou susaninsturgis, I followed your advice last nite, and for the first time in simply ages, I was able to play my sims2 without the blue screen, I hope I'm able to play again tonight without the blue screen, again thankyou so much, One thing though I'm not the best at this, are you able to follow the thread for modsims2 and post your suggestion there as it as worked for me and it may help many other players, and I'm not sure how to do this, so I'm hoping you could inform the simmers at that site. thankyou again
Cheers Marn39
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:32:01 am by Marn39 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: