Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:47:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Skin Deep [UPDATED 7/19]  (Read 11232 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ZanarkandFayth

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »

Chapter One [part one]

"Well, that was fun," I mumbled, slumping in the cheap white party chair. Dad and I looked around the empty yard. Balloons, and uneaten wedding cake, an unused wedding arch, unfilled chairs, and a yet again unmarried man sitting across from me, looking as defeated as he ever had.

It had happened before, we both knew it had. This was the fifth woman to leave Dad standing alone at the altar while I stood, knowing it would happen, beside the arch with a plastered on smile.

Dad and I stood together, knowing there wasn't anything else to be said. He hugged me tightly, kissing me in that fatherly way. "I'm sorry, Lucy," he said quietly, letting me go.

I shrugged. "It's not your fault skanks and gold diggers are attracted to you like 80's hookers to chunky jewelry," I mumbled and shrugged again. What could he do about it? Dad was so quick to try to get me a new mom he never really got to know the girls he wanted to marry, besides that they were apparently nice, nice ladies.

He'd gotten engaged seven times, but five girls actually let him get to the altar, after he paid for everything. About a week after they split, we'd find their wedding dress and engagement ring in a pawn shop somewhere selling for way more than it was actually worth. I didn't know pawn shops even took wedding dresses, but I guess if you could get money for it, they'd take it.

"How are the tomatoes doing, hun?" Dad asked once he noticed I'd stopped.

"Okay, as long I take care of them, I guess," I sighe, wiping my hands off on my dress. I'd worn it five times, and by then I really didn't mind if it got dirty or not. Dad laughed suddenly. "What?"

"You look like your mom doing that," he said, but I knew he was lying. I'd never looked like my mom, besides somehow getting gray eyes like hers. But Dad said she'd been some awesome gardener. She could grow anything, he said. Dad said Mom could probably have grown oranges in Alaska if she'd wanted to.

I walked on past him, but Dad lingered for a second, looking at my little garden sadly. Mom's garden was left behind at our old house. After the third woman left him, we didn't have the money to keep up our larger house, so we moved to a little rinky dink place. I knew it had killed Dad to leave behind Mom's garden.

He finally came along behind me into the house.

"You want anything to eat, Lucy?" he asked, rummaging through our little fridge. I grabbed a package of cookies off the counter and plopped down in front of our TV that short circuited every time something good came on.

"Nah, I'm good," I said through the mush of chocolate and dough in my mouth. Dad laughed again, taking out a TV dinner for himself.

"You're going to get fat, Louie," he said, using his favorite nickname for me. Dad said that if he and Mom had had a boy, they would name him Louie, but I turned out to be minus a Y chromosome, so I was dubbed Lucy, a.k.a. Louie.

"Hey, old man, this is called comfort food," I said casting him a fake evil glare and laughed myself. "Being a distressed woman, I have to eat."

"You're still a little girl. Women have to be able to fill at least a B cup," dad said, with his sick humor. For a dad, he had an awful, awful sense of humor when it came to girls. No wonder I was weird.

Standing from my seat on the couch, I hugged Dad hard. "I'm going to crash," I said, pulling away hesitantly. On the way to my room, I knew Dad was watching me. He'd been scared for me for years, always thinking I was emotionally unstable. He was sure that I was somehow affected by Mom dying when I was really little. I barely remembered her, but I guess that, in some way, it did bother me, never having that female influence.

Dad had gone into my room once before to find me drawing all over the walls in pen. He didn't say anything besides, "Are you okay, Lucy?" I was, really. I just wanted to draw on the walls, but still Dad was sure I was disturbed by my subconscious or something like that. He liked acting like he was some kind of world renowned psychiatrist.

But thinking on it now, at all the things I did, I do wonder if maybe my mom dying bothered me. I would silently cheer if my friends parents were split up, or I'd feel more welcome in a home with only a dad. I never liked it when dad would bring home girlfriends or the such, and so I usually didn't have much confidence in his relationships.

I had never wanted it to be anything more than me and dad.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:07:21 pm by ZanarkandFayth » Logged

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=99883<--My new Sims2 story, please read and reply. ^^
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:36 pm »

This is a really good story so far! Well written.
I'll be reading! Wink

Link: The tights-wearing, puzzle-solving wonder!
"You know, you'd think that after seven dungeons you'd have figured out how to open a door without breaking the key." -Nami (Awkwardzombie.com)
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:19:26 pm »

Nice start.  Interesting storyline and smooth writing.  I like it.  Smiley

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
SimKween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:11:12 pm »

Ooh! Can't wait for more!

I go to seek a Great Perhaps
ZanarkandFayth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:37:52 pm »

Chapter One [part two]

It was months later before anything happened. The weather had changed for the better for me, but my tomatoes were stiffs by the time the first frost came on. Dad and I were disappointed, even though we'd been able to get a pretty good catch at the farmer's market for them.

But now, everything was back to normal. Winter had come, and with that, the good tidings of Christmas soon-to-be was in the air. I'd only had another week and a half of school before being let out for "holiday break".

"Bye, Louie," Dad said tiredly. He'd finally gotten a job as a security guard in an office, and though we'd finally been able to bring in money somewhat, he always dragged himself in around two in the morning, but was always sure to make himself get up long enough to tell me bye in the morning.

"You be safe," he said, ushering me out the door to the idle hum of the bus engine. "Remember, no--"

"--kissing boys, no looking at boys, and no--" I stopped in the doorway, did a small jitter-bug, and sang, "smokin' in the boy's room." Dad rolled his eyes and ruffled my hair, smacked my butt, and pushed me out of the doorway.

Like always, he watched me get on the bus. But somehow, this felt different, as if there was something he'd wanted to tell me, but couldn't quite get it out, or didn't want to. I hoped it wasn't about a girl. He had been seeing a lady, but broke it off supposedly. I was just waiting for the day that I'd come home and see that black and pink lacey dress hanging on my door while my dad looked at me apologetically.

That day, dreading seeing the dress, I came in slowly, and to my surprise there was nothing hanging on my door. The only thing that was different in the house was the silence. Everything was dead quiet. Usually, on Dad's days off, he'd be sleeping on the couch with the TV blaring and the oldies blasting out of our poor stereo.

But that day, Dad had everything shut off and he sat stiffly on the sofa, staring at the floor. "Daddy?" I said quietly, afraid to break the silence too quickly.

"Lucy...listen to me, okay?" he said, catching me on the way to the sofa. All I could do was back up against the wall and stare, thinking of the worst. It was all I could do in that moment, but I had never thought he'd say what he did. "Lucy... Louie...we...have to move out. We don't have the money--"

"But your job," I whispered, so afraid of the silence and the seriousness in his voice.

"It isn't enough...not right now, and not for a while," he explained, keeping his distance from me. It wouldn't have mattered if he was or not. I felt too numb to even think about getting mad at him. I thought everything had been fine, just the two of us, me with my somewhat part time job, Dad with his swanky new one. But I guess it hadn't been enough after all.

"What do we do now?" I asked, dropping my gaze to my feet. There was nothing else to say.

"We're moving in with a couple of old friends of mine for a while," he said, his face brightening. "Well, Dimitri is an old friend of mine, but his wife is a sweetheart. You'll love her." I didn't say anything. Dad had never said anything about an old friend named Dimitri, of course Dad never talled much about old friends.

Dad pursed his lips, but the light in his face didn't fade. "Dimitri said you could work around the house, and he said he'd pay you if you did," he went on, but I wasn't sure about taking money from some married man for working around his house. Somehow it made me feel dirty.

Without a word, I walked away into my room, feeling Dad watch me again while I walked. There was nothing left to say or do but take one last look around the house.

I did nothing for hours but sit with the three suitcases that had everything I needed. My drawings had been painted over, and all my bookcases and my mirror were taken away. Sitting there, thinking and not really thinking, the only clear thought in my mind was...

"How does my whole life come down to three suitcases?"

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=99883<--My new Sims2 story, please read and reply. ^^
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »

Aw. Poor Louie.  I would hate to move in with people I've never even heard of! Hopefully it turns out ok.

Link: The tights-wearing, puzzle-solving wonder!
"You know, you'd think that after seven dungeons you'd have figured out how to open a door without breaking the key." -Nami (Awkwardzombie.com)
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:54 am »

I really feel for Louie.  Things have been pretty rough for her, and they sound like they're going to get even rougher.  I'm looking forward to meeting these friends of her dad's, even though she isn't.  Nice job.

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
discowhipped

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:46:01 am »

This is a good story. I feel for Lucy. I hate moving.

"It's not your fault skanks and gold diggers are attracted to you like 80's hookers to chunky jewelry,"

That was utterly brilliant :laugh:

"It's not everyday that you discover you're trapped in a pixel world."
Suddenly Simmerised - Read it!
Previously known as: Squirt
Glamily
A Tad Bit Glittery

I used to be as mad as a hatter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 07:32:13 am »

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ it! Totally awesome! luvin lucy!

No more hiding
Don't be afraid of what's inside
Anytime anybody pulls you down
Anytime anybody says you're not allowed
Just remember you are not alone
Devomuffins

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 02:56:49 pm »

This is really good, its a very powerful begining. Where did you get louie's hair?
xpoetxgurlx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »

I love it! I feel bad for Louie. I don't exactly like her father at the moment

.:-.|Nahtrelle|.-:.
ZanarkandFayth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:23:04 am »

Quote from: egghugger;1308242
This is really good, its a very powerful begining. Where did you get louie's hair?

I got Lucy's hair off the exchange, so I'm not sure where to get it from really. But that hair is one of my favorites, very pretty in-game.

Thanks for the comment. It'll be updated soon, hopefully.

ZanarkandFayth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 11:24:38 am »

Quote from: xpoetxgurlx;1308513
I love it! I feel bad for Louie. I don't exactly like her father at the moment

Aww... Lucy's daddy is only doing what he can. He's kind of goofy and just wants what's best for his daughter, and sadly he thinks that getting her a mom is what's best for her, even though she really doesn't want one. Lucy has her own demons, and you'll see that later on.

ZanarkandFayth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 07:39:37 pm »

Chapter Two
[/B]

Dad and I stepped out of the car into foot deep snow. My feet froze on contact. We'd been riding for hours, from town to town, and I got afraid of being so far away from my home. Dad started slowing down around fancy houses three stories high with five cars and girls and boys that looked fragile and expensive, and I wondered with dismay if one of these were where we were going.

And I was right.

"Come on, Lucy," Dad said, grabbing me by the shoulders gently. I looked at him, my brow creased, but he kept smiling. "It's all up from here." I sighed and rolled my eyes. Dad was a bad liar. Dad sighed as well and patted my shoulder, stiffening suddenly, smiling.

"Lucy, I would like to introduce you to Cassandra Balk," he said and turned me to a beautiful, like... BEAUTIFUL woman.

Without hesitation, she grinned from ear to ear and grabbed me up in a tight hug. "Oh, Lucy, it's so good to meet you," she said, her voice a sweet whisper. She smelled like mint and berries, and though I said before I didn't like a normal husband-wife household, I suddenly liked her.

I looked past her to a handsome man, Dimitri Balk, who hugged my dad and talked and laughed...like old friends. So he wasn't just some rich guy that dad happened to know. I smiled in spite of myself, finding that I had barely listened to a word that Mrs. Balk was saying the whole time I was standing there. When I looked up with an apologetic look, she just smiled wider and laughed.

"Well, would you look at that!" she scoffed, clicking her tongue as if she were really irritated. Somehow I didn't think that was possible. "Looks like we can't keep our eyes off them, huh?" I looked around like she had been and noticed that Dad and Mr. Balk had already left. Sneaky bastards.

Their living room was...well, in one word, beautiful. Everything was in place and there was nothing just laying around on the floor in the way. Mrs. Balk stopped me when I tried pulling a chair up to the sofa and told me kindly to just sit beside my dad. Somehow, there was something worried in her voice and the way she put the chair back just the way it was.

Everything, though extremely orderly, was very cozy. She and Mr. Balk didn't mind if I put my feet on the furniture or if my wet, probably dirty, shoes touched their floor. Mr. Balk and Dad started telling stories on each other, telling how Dad was a terror of his teachers and Dimitri was no better, but was sneakier. Mrs. Balk and I just sat back and laughed raucously.

"Oh! Lucy!" Mrs. Balk called to me halfway through Dad telling about a time that Mr. Balk stole the teacher's grade book, which was never found. I looked up and promptly slid my feet off the couch, but she just went on. "Before I forget, I want you to meet my son."

"Your...son?" I asked, hesitating with both words. My eyes flew to her stomach, which was as flat as anything. There wasn't an ounce of fat on her thin, teeny tiny frame, but she just smiled and nodded.

"Yes, he's a sweet heart. You'll love him," she said, as if it would be a blessing.

Standing quickly, Mrs. Balk walked briskly to the steps, saying only, "I'll be right back," and then disappearing upstairs. Mr. Balk sighed and rubbed his head, a tired look on his face. He looked older than his wife, more tired, and more worried than she had before.

A minute later, Mrs. Balk walked down with her son, a photocopy of Mr. Balk except for the black hair and blue eyes, walking close behind her, his hand at her every few seconds, catching her finger or the hem of her sweater.

No matter how much like his father he looked, he took after his mom, I could see, because when Mrs. Balk said, "Casper, sweetie, this is Lucy Marco," saying my name excitedly, as if I were something special, he leaned forward and hugged me quickly, saying on, "Thank you, Lucy."

I was surprised. There wasn't anything to thank me for, except living, but I had a feeling he really didn't care.

"Umm...you're welcome?" I said, shrugging. He laughed, and I saw that he didn't look exactly like Mr. Balk. He had his mom's smile.

Somehow there was something about him that scared me. He wouldn't ever look me straight in the eye, and his eyes were a pale, lightless blue that didn't catch any sort of glimmer or shine.

Shortly after he talked to me, Casper made his way to the piano in the corner, Mr. Balk following, and played something slow and sweet that Mrs. Balk hummed along to and Mr. Balk settled into the chair beside the piano and hung his head, his eyes closed. Dad tapped my shoulder and we scurried upstairs, leaving the family to their own businness.

Dad sat across from me in the room that Mr. Balk had showed him earlier. He looked more relaxed and more happy than he had in a long time. It was good to see, but though the Balks were nice people I still wasn't sure how good a person could be if they got their friend to work for them, but still Dad seemed as happy as he had ever been.

"How do you like the Balks?" he asked quickly once he settled down into the overstuffed armchair in the corner. I shrugged, rubbing the back of my neck.

"They're nice... Mrs. Balk is beautiful--"

Dad smiled and laughed. "Well, she should be, she's an actress," he explained. I widened my eyes, thinking that I should know her, but then remembered that I wasn't into pop-culture. Shrugging again, I went on.

"Mr. Balk is kind of quiet," I said, smiling, wondering how Dad and Mr. Balk got to be friends with them so different. Of course, Mr. Balk was probably worse than Dad, though he never got caught. "Their son though... He kind of freaks me out a little. He wouldn't ever look at me straight--"

"Lucy..." Dad said, cutting me off quickly. He leaned in, his face sad as he spoke very softly, very slowly, "Casper is blind."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:47:35 pm by ZanarkandFayth » Logged

hanster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 04:30:02 pm »

i could have sworn i commented here before... *shrugs*
anyhow, i like this story a lot so far, very nice Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: