Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 07:22:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SecuROM?  (Read 4900 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
MoronStyle7

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:40:52 am »

What is SecuROM?

(This is not a spam I really mean it!)
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:48 am »

It is a copyright protection system encoded into CDs that logs into the Windows registry and prevents unlicensed  copies of a disk to be made. The problem is that with software, such as a game, it has a limit number for installations. That limit is not reset if you unistall and re-install, so you could find yourself unable to re-install at some point. However, this seems to be a problem with the newer version of Securom, not the older. So avoid the FT patch, if you can. It comes in the patch, the game CD has the older version.
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:45:40 am »

That was a bit brief and simplified, but you get the idea. It's all about copyright protection.
MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:17 am »

I have installed the FT patch, but I'm not using the CD cause its lost.
DOHC46

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:30 am »

This SecuROM program is far more insideous than a simple DRM.  It actually installs a file on your hard drive that you cannot see.  This program is not removed by simply un-installing the game it was associated with, and will linger on your computer.  It's most interesting feature is that it can, and has, fragged hard-drives because it didn't like what was on it, and has (more commonly) corrupted the machines' whole OS (Operating System, such as Windows XP, or Windows Vista) and permanently disabled CD drives and printers.  Those functions cannot be restored when that happens except by a complete reformat and re-install of the OS.  I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like I've just described a virus.  It is a fact that SecuROM is not as begnin as EA claims.  I have enough worries about viruses coming in from the internet on my PC without having to worry about them coming as part of a game program, too!  I'm not buying anything with the new SecuROM V7, which is the most evil version, yet.

The only way to stop SecuROM is to file legal complaints with FTC.
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
I urge ANYONE who has had problems caused by SecuROM to register a complaint right away.  As gamers, we should be able to play our games as soon as we buy or patch them and not need help from the security software's support staff!
MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:01:49 am »

So FT patch have it? but I dont use CD...
They're going to use it in AL? and does IKEA stuff has it?! WHAT?! NO!
X-Phile

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:12 am »

Every EA game in Stores have Securom even the old Sims 2 games that are now in stores.:redface:
As long as you don't start the orginal .exe file you won't have Securom on your PC. And I guessing MoronStyle7 you are not playing with the orginal, because you don't use the CD.:worship:
MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:55:28 am »

I had the cd before, but I bought it a month after its release, I lost my CD, so its ok?
So I'm using crack...
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 06:18:05 am »

Every EA game in Stores have Securom even the old Sims 2 games that are now in stores.

That has happened within the last 2 years, though. I have older copies of the base game and NL, and have not got SecuRom-how do I know? Because when I reinstalled them, they couldn't "phone home" to check my registration. I've got a live line to the internet all the time, and if I did have SecuRom, they certainly would have done so.
But EA has decided to retrofit all the games with it, and so let the buyer beware. All of the EP's now have it.
SecuRom is far more dangerous than one might think, too-it not only validates your game and destroys your computer, it gives EA access to your entire computer. Viruses and trojans are only part of the problem-the fact that EA knows your computer name and it's workings are even more scary.
If EA is trying to stop people from pirating their games, they're doing a terrible job-by having this rotten and insidious program, they're turning off people from being legitimate buyers to being pirates because nobody wants a snooping, destroying piece of malware in their computer.

MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:24 am »

So its far more dangerus then I thought... why they're using it then? it ruins it all, its stupid! so they'll keep using it ?!? why dont they listen to the fans ?!?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:26:54 am by MoronStyle7 » Logged
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:29:32 am »

Because they don't care about the "fans."
Their only priority is the Almighty Dollar.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:54:41 am »

Guess you're right...

I think I found a way to remove it, I had no idea Eidos Int. use it though:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=49922&page=2

(Scroll down the page)
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 06:10:38 pm »

just wondering...
I've not had any game-related problems with secuROM that I know of (all EP's up to FT) - BUT I'm having problems with my laptop blackscreening and freezing. Can secuROM have anything at all to do with that? (just a little afraid after what someone said above...)

I did get service on my computer just a few weeks ago - but now it's messing up again... *cries*

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:50:42 pm »

I don't think it usually messes around with graphics options and such...  usually just programs/software that has anything to do with any type of transferring of data from one source to another.  But seeing as EA and Sony have been full of "PHAIL" these past few months, I wouldn't be surprised if I did find out somewhere that SecuRom found a way to mess with even more stuff than the usual.  :lol:

So I'm thinking it's probably something else that up on your end, unless you have installed a new program or something since the last time it worked properly... which may also be a possible cause for SecuRom to do some stuff, but then again I'm doubtful. (which is rare considering my utmost loathing of such a malicious beast.  :angry7:)   At least you're one of the lucky ones in the whole deal.  Wink

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 05:26:10 am »

lucky? not a chance...

I had my laptop to service only a few weeks ago, I've not installed anything new - and I've not even used internet on it (I'm secretly borrowing my brother's computer now, since it's the only computer in the house with net at the moment...), and now it's messing up again! (and the money I spent for service was SO not worth it! - not when it only worked fine for two weeks...)

but I guess it's not secuROM, since I've not had troubles with it before. when the laptop decides it wants to work, the game works just fine.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: