Insimenator.org
April 24, 2024, 07:30:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish Out of Water: A Piscine Legacy - Chapter Twenty  (Read 44244 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:11:31 pm »

Preface

Oh the stories we were told
Quite a vision to behold
Mysteries of the seas
In her eyes of gold
~
In a shade of mossy green
Seashell in her hand
She was born the river queen
There to grace the land
~
Oh, the song of Lorelei
Charms the moon right from the sky
She will get inside your mind
Lovely Lorelei

When she cries, be with me
Until the end of time
You know you will never be
With your Lorelei

~ Excerpts from “Lorelei” by Blackmore’s Night

It's funny how these ideas can hit you. I was playing with another founder, with a less interesting back-story, and one day I was listening to Blackmore's Night (American "renaissance folk/rock" band). Lorelei happens to be one of my favourites, and this particular time the lyrics just sparked something. All of a sudden I was like "Yes, that's who my founder will be!"

So I went to work in Body Shop - then realised after some playing that I got a few details wrong, and her experiences really weren't much to write home about - no problem for just playing, but I have a story to tell here. This is my second try with "lovely Lorelei", and so far things are going a lot better. I've wanted to write about it too, which can only be a good thing - and the pictures have come out a lot better than they did the first time. Yes, it's a legacy, so the pics won't be as great - but I've grown so used to being careful and going for good quality pics it's become second nature. I tried using the in-game camera last time and the lack of quality made me cringe.

Some notes
[/SIZE]
Legacy rules - Well, given the amount of mods sitting in my main program files, I couldn't play properly even if I wanted to. I'm not gonna take them all out every time I want to play the challenge Tongue I don't really have the patience to keep score either, so this is purely for fun. Mods-wise I'm a coward - no way was I ditching the fixes for a start. I wasn't going without Macrotastics either; it doesn't give any advantage, I've just got so used to getting the place clean with just one click. I ditched a lot of mods, but the really high annoyance-busters were staying put - they get so obsessive in later EPs it's beyond funny.

Pictures/story-telling - I have got a little lax on both fronts, since this is just for fun - a chance to relax after the emotional roller-coaster Xenophobia's turning into. However, after discovering Photoscape I couldn't help myself - I discovered this wonderful backlight tool, as well as frames, and I got a little carried away :angel: Backlight tool for these pics = essential, since lighting's the last thing to worry about in the beginning. It saved a lot of my pics and added some extra colour to others Smiley

One more thing - I gave her a custom skin and eyes; both by Enayla, both geneticised. I've also townified some other custom skins and eyes, so anything can happen with these guys! Cheesy

Hope you enjoy yet another legacy story :angel:

Prologue

I have been on this Earth longer than I care to tell you, spending the centuries singing upon the silvery rocks and luring seamen to a watery grave. While it proved entertaining for a long time, it eventually became lonely and dull. I grew tired of such an existence, starting to wonder what lay beyond the seemingly endless ocean. These mammals known as humans sparked my interest also; I watched their progress over the years, their ships becoming more streamlined and driven by different means as time went on. There was more going on in their minds than I gave them credit for, I could see that even then.

So it was one day that I decided to leave, not knowing what I would be letting myself in for but not caring. After bidding my farewells, I started to swim armed with nothing more than a waterproof case, containing clothes for dry land and a stash of this bartering substance these humans call money, which had been plundered from their wrecked ships. I swam for what seemed like days, hitching rides on passing dolphins where need be, and eventually stepped ashore on this rather empty piece of land.

I didn’t travel alone, either. I found this little lady on a deserted rowing boat some time ago, and she has been my companion ever since. I named her Ariel, after a mermaid I understand is very well known to a lot of humans.

It is fortunate that she is a strong swimmer, although of course I had to take a lot of breaks to let her rest. Eventually we stepped onto dry land for the first time, and I soon learnt that walking with a fish tail just wasn’t going to work. I needed to dry off and change if I was going to get about properly.

What my seafaring friends neglected to tell me was that, once I began my new life on the surface, my powers would considerably weaken, all those talents I had nurtured throughout the ages would be lost and I would become mortal. Funny really, that the last part at least I’m not so bothered about, having already lived for hundreds of years. Although it all depends how long I have now I will be living as a human – will it be enough to build myself up again? More importantly, what shall I do with this time? So much to explore – where to start…?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:05:57 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »

NB: Something is making my grills transparent - I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. If anyone reading this has any clue, would they please let me know?

Chapter One

After changing my attire, I looked about myself. The area I’d washed up on was bare and open, with only an apple tree to grace the land. Meanwhile I had two mouths to feed, and the fingers of the sea breeze were running through my hair. We needed some kind of shelter, but there wasn’t much I could do with so little – I soon wished I’d taken more from those ships than I did.

I don’t know how these humans live, although the sight of buildings in the distance told me I had a long way to go. Still, it was enough to get us by. Fortunately this old fridge I found contained food, and it was still good. Just as well, since I’d noticed a distinct lack of fish in this part of whatever place it was I’d stumbled upon. It was also summertime, so I could sleep in a tent and not wake up cold. The sunlight was just what I needed to warm up after all that swimming.

Curiously enough, as I settled I attracted a good deal of attention. There was this man who appeared soon after I finished building, who said he was from the Garden Club – I never caught his name. However, I was otherwise occupied and this stranger turning up, expecting to be let in as though I already knew him or something, was beginning to irk me with his pacing and waiting.

There was another who made straight for my door and, after ringing the hastily applied doorbell, he then left a box by the entrance and went on his way. He was very insistent that I open the blessed thing, although as I watched him I started to wonder if that was a good idea. He looked very shifty for someone just leaving a harmless gift, unless he’s just very shy.

At least I think it’s harmless. I have no clue what this contraption is – I’ll have to keep this somewhere safe and ask someone else about it. That garden club member left, thank heavens… although that meant I couldn’t seek his advice on the matter. Something else sparked my interest however – this young man dropped a bundle of paper on the ground nearby. On discovering it was covered in writing and pictures, I decided to investigate further once I’d sat down – with so much to get through, it was likely to take me a while.

When I learned I could earn some money through work, I was so relieved! I was beginning to wonder how I’d get by in this world. I decided to try my hand at dancing, and took a job as an aerobics instructor – they say they train you when you get there. I hope they’re right, although it surely can’t be much different from the singing I used to do. I found employment for Ariel too, as a vermin chaser. With both of us raising money, I should be able to build us a proper home before long.

I had not long set down the papers before I spotted more visitors to my sparse abode. This time I was happy to see some different faces, especially when they said they wanted to welcome me to the area – they called it an island. I was even more pleased to spot a male presence; after sending so many to their deaths, I now had a chance to find out more about them, and I had every wish to do so. I didn’t particularly wish for the looming presence of the other females, though.

Ariel made for a welcome distraction. I was impressed that two of my visitors seemed to sense her presence from within an enclosed room but, given who was left in my company, I was far from complaining. I was a little nervous when I remembered my powers had lessened, but I discovered happily that they hadn’t gone completely.

It would surely come as no surprise to him after hearing my origins, when I started to feel the skin on his hands out of curiosity. Warm blooded creatures, it would seem – I had never had such a close encounter with them before. It works both ways of course – I wasn’t sure what he would make of me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was he unmoved, he even seemed to like my “unique” countenance.

Before long, I felt a gnawing in my stomach… and my heart sank when I realised I had to prepare something for my guests. I had never cooked food in my life, so I was pretty anxious about serving a meal to these new people. When I got into it though, I found myself starting to enjoy it.

I’d needed to ask my male visitor advice about what to dish up, and he'd suggested hot dogs. Quite a bizarre name for sausages in buns, but that is what humans call them. At least I didn’t burn them, pretty impressive for my first try. This man, going by the name of Teddy, had also found Ariel and seemed to take to her very well.

During our meal I quizzed them on this lifestyle they all lead. It turns out this device I was left is called a computer, and that bundle the “paper boy” left is called a newspaper. They suggested that I have a good read of it to find out more, but kindly took the time to explain the basics to me – like the issue of paying bills. I was surprised at this, asking what these “bills” were, and they told me that the services (electricity, etc.) had to be paid for here. I had never been more grateful for finding work so quickly.

As the day became night the two females departed, leaving just me and this Teddy person. We had sat on the sand chatting for hours, and already we had grown pretty close. We were both beginning to complain of hunger though, so we had dinner together. I hope I can learn to cook something other than hot dogs soon, this is already starting to get boring.

They went down well, though. This sand is something of a novelty, I’m used to hard rocks. I couldn’t help myself; the others were making such pretty shapes I just had to give it a try. Teddy came over to join me too – I must admit, the innocent pleasure of playing in the sand is quite appeasing.

He had to leave eventually, and we exchanged numbers – I knew there was a reason I listened to the shopkeeper who sold the “telephone” to me. I do hope we can keep in touch, he seems such a charming man. I may be struggling materially for the time being, but the companionship I enjoyed today has taught me that riches aren’t everything.

No requests please
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:02 pm »

Yes!  Another legacy!  And quite an interesting twist to this one! I'll be reading!
And welcome to the club lol Wink

Link: The tights-wearing, puzzle-solving wonder!
"You know, you'd think that after seven dungeons you'd have figured out how to open a door without breaking the key." -Nami (Awkwardzombie.com)
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:13 pm »

Love it!  Unique and clever.  It's nice to change gears and do something just for fun, isn't it?  That's one of the reasons why I started mine, to take a break from the seriousness of my other story.  It gets too intense, sometimes.  But dang, girl!  I think your pictures really rock!  They're pretty, colorful, and sharp.  I love your founder, too.  I'm already anxious to see the pretty babies that may come from her and Teddy, lol.  Great job!

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
steelguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »

An interesting founder indeed. And a great little explanation for the legacies beginnings. But I am a little skeptical about the swimming cat. Smiley
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

Oh goodie, people like my founder! Cheesy That's gotta be a good sign ^_^ Yeah, thought I'd go for something different (when don't I? Wink), it's made things a lot more interesting.

@Medagic: LOL Thanks. Yours is looking good too Smiley

@Ari: Aw, thanks Cheesy Oh, it's wonderful to change gears - my shoulders are sodden from several angsty teenagers (and sometimes adults) crying on them :angel: Although the way Tank's been staring at me, something tells me there's more to come. Bless him :love2:

@steelguy: Thanks Smiley You've never heard of Turkish Vans, have you? They're famed for being good swimmers - the only cat that actually likes water, in fact. With a mermaid-type owner, I couldn't really go for any other breed Wink

Glad to see people are enjoying it already, thanks for the comments Smiley

No requests please
erica_jean698

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »

Finally I get a chance to read this!  Love your writing as ever my dear.  

I like the way she express her curiosity are the dry world.  I'm wondering how it's going to go for her.  Is it going to be smooth sailing (pun intended), or is there going to be a bump or two in the road?  

I'm looking forward to finding out! Cheesy

(1st) Picture Perfect (2nd) The Amazing Race (3rd) Model Swap
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:32 pm »

Thanks Erica Smiley I am too Wink

Hope you all enjoy this latest installment Smiley

Chapter Two

I began my first day at work today. I was a little nervous about it, being so new to this way of life, but as much as I didn’t want to, I tried to keep the money aspect in mind as I left – it did help. They were nice enough to provide me with some suitable clothes, too.

Ariel also started her job and, just from the money she brought home, I was able to buy her something to better occupy herself in my absence. Not an essential item given that funds are still low, but I felt she had earned it – literally.

This dancing lark is proving to be so much fun! I would love nothing more than to be able to reach the top of the ladder some day. In the meantime however, summer is already over and I am still sleeping in a tent. I gather Ariel needs to learn a command in order to progress in her work too, but after all the cleaning I found myself needing to do, the sun was already beginning to set by the time I finally managed to teach her. Thankfully she learns fast.

I’m not sleeping so well in this tent, either. By the time I woke it was still dark, although it wasn’t long before the sun started to rise. I needed to work on my fitness and stamina if I was to have a chance to reach my goal; the perfect excuse to go for a swim.

I couldn’t resist – after failing to uncover any treasure the day before, I didn’t even let myself dry off before having another dig in the sand.

I still didn’t find anything though. In the meantime it was off to work, while Ariel got promoted. By the time I returned, I finally had enough to buy a bookcase and brush up on my cooking – thank heavens for that! If I never see another hot dog again, it’ll be too soon.

On the other hand, it turns out I’ll need a proper cooker in order to prepare these new foods – the expense is never-ending.

I became so immersed in the cookbook I lost all track of time. Before I knew it night had fallen – and I had some unexpected company.

I had mixed feelings about his visit. It was wonderful to see him again, but he was already attempting to get just a little too close; I had never experienced such contact, so I suppose there was an element of fear and insecurity. It certainly wasn’t because I found him repulsive – far from it, in fact. He was incredibly understanding about the matter though, and I became glad for his persistence. I could get used to this.

As much as I wanted him to stay though, that extremely early start I had was taking its toll. I had to excuse myself to the tent, and noticed him heading for the sand as I retired for the night. No idea what he was doing or for how long though, perhaps he was building another sandcastle.

Time is flying by so fast. It seems like only the other day that we first met, and now I feel a peculiar warm feeling inside when I see him. I had no idea humans could be such tender creatures, or that they could affect me in such a way, but whatever it is about them that does this, I like it very much.

No requests please
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:51 pm »

Aww...  :love2:
That is so sweet!  I can't wait to see more!

"You know, you'd think that after seven dungeons you'd have figured out how to open a door without breaking the key." -Nami (Awkwardzombie.com)
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:30:29 pm »

You know, I thought you said this was a relaxing story for you, yet I see all these beautiful pictures!  Is that how you relax, Sadie? Wink  This story looks fantastic, from beautiful scenery to eye catching graphics, to pretty frames and lighting - it all looks great.  Your founder is very beautiful, and I like the way she is telling her story.  I'm looking forward to seeing the next chapter.

Okay - I have a stupid question.  Feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders with a fish, but I really don't know because I haven't looked into it, yet - but how do you live on a beach lot?  Can you set them up for residential use without a cheat?

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 04:04:55 pm »

Sure can - all I did was place it in a main 'hood and set it as residential, same as a normal lot. The free body and creativity points it brings are worth it Wink

And.. erm, relax? Must look that up sometime... What? :angel: I can't help it, I'm a perfectionist and I love to experiment Wink At least this time I'm not setting up scenes, I'm just snapping events as they happen. It's the posing for stories I find hard work - I enjoy touching up my pics Cheesy

Oh yeah, fixed the odd transparency problems I'd been having, grills will look normal next time. Got no idea what'll happen next, haven't played yet - instead I'm stuck reinstalling yet again *sigh* This time I'm back on XP, 'cause Vista was starting to drive me nuts angry I can live without DX10 for now, I just want to use the computer without remote supervision; I'm hardly the technophobe type Tongue

Glad you're both enjoying it Smiley

No requests please
YHsims2003

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »

oooo a mermaid story! i'm intrigued!!
beautiful pictures. Cheesy

:snorting: My Spiffy Thread
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 05:31:03 pm »

Yeah, your pics are amazing!  It took all my will not to even sharpen my pictures!  I just left them as is.  
What is photoscape, btw?  If it gives me photos like that, I think I might need it!

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:16:45 pm »

Thanks guys! Cheesy Will be interesting to see how it plays out once I get to the 2nd generation and beyond Wink

Okay, Photoscape can be found here, but for good quality pics you'll also need Gadwin or some other method of getting screenshots. All I did to get those kind of pics was use PrintScreen (Gadwin saves the pics to a file when you grab a screenshot), resize them in Photoshop, and bring them into Photoscape where I applied the Backlight Correction Tool and a preset pretty border Cheesy No warming technique this time, so I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they came out Smiley

A word of advice if you want good quality pictures - stay away from the C key! The in-game camera is appalling! I tried to touch up the resulting pics, and they still looked blotchy.. ick >_< I know a lot of people are fine with it, but once you get used to taking top notch pics through PrintScreen, you'll find you can never go back to it Wink

No requests please
Medagic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:28 pm »

And I was using this C key like a fool.  Tsk tsk tsk.  
Thanks Sadie!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: