Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 03:16:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New graphics card on laptop?  (Read 1908 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:57 am »

Is there a way to tell if my laptop is capable of installing a new graphics card?

I pulled up dialog reports to check my system specs, but I am not computer savvy enough to know exactly what it means.

I believe I have PCI slots available on my computer according to the report.

I also know that I may have to upgrade to a larger harddrive if I do that, but I think my memory can handle it. I'll list my system specs just incase someone knows how to read it better than me. I also have more detailed specs from Everest if they would help more.

Thanks!

System:
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T1300@1.66Ghz
Memory: 2038 RAM
Page File: 1368MB Used 2926MB Available
DirectXVersion: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)

Display:
Name: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Controller
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type:Intel GMA 950
Approx. Memory: 256MB
Main Driver: igdumd32.dll
Version: 7.14.0010.1103

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:25:38 pm »

It really depends on the type of laptop you own.  You might want to check your laptop's model around the internet and possibly find out what cards are/aren't compatible with it.  :angel:

sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:50:24 am »

Is that listed in the manual somewhere? I still have the manual that came with the computer, so I can check it, but I didn't know it would be listed there...

danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:04:28 am »

I don't know if this is even an issue since we are talking "laptop" but when I got the new card for my desktop- I forgot to check and see if the power-supply would be strong enough to power the new card----

It wasn't and I had to go get another power supply too.  Wink

I have no clue about laptops though... it's on my wish list. Tongue

~*~ Donna ~*~
I DO NOT ANSWER ANY PM REQUESTS! PLEASE READ POST#26 AT MY THREAD! *HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,85501.0.html
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:33:29 am »

Quote from: sumpsychochic;1310239
Is that listed in the manual somewhere? I still have the manual that came with the computer, so I can check it, but I didn't know it would be listed there...

It should be.  It's also probably physically on the laptop itself somewhere, and you can check under Control Panel => System for more information.  (There's also another way to bring up the computer info, make, and model using the "Run..." function, but I've completely forgot what's to be typed in to make it pop up... it's been a while since I've used it that way.  :lol:)

And like danceswithwands mentioned, you may also have to invest in a better power supply... or in this case, a better battery, if I'm not mistaken.  (I know a friend of mine said he had to get one when he upgraded his video card)  That is, if your battery is one that can handle the power of a new graphics card already.  It's a lot of research in that, and to be honest I'm still learning more about it myself.  :happy8:

sumpsychochic

Tiffany

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:48:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm learning that it is alot of research.
I have a brand new battery, but not sure if it is strong enough or not, I'll have to look further into that.

I ran dxdiag to get system specs, but I have no idea how to read or understand some of the things to figure out what kind of graphics cards would be compatible with it.lol.

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:43:30 pm »

:lol:  No, it sounds like you're making it a little hard on yourself.  You don't have to look at your DirectX Diagnostics Tool, just look in the "System" section like I mentioned above at what type of laptop model you have, and literally Google "compatible video cards for (insert laptop brand and model type)"... (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, Intel, etc.).  You should get a number of results depending on the type of laptop you have, and a few possible answers on each of the different sites that come up.

That is, unless your laptop custom-built.  If that's the case, not sure how to check up on that.  :dontknow:

And now that I think about it, do you know if your graphics card is integrated or not?  I know most Intel chips are... if that's the case, then you may or may not be able to upgrade at all.  Guess it also depends on what model of laptop you own, too, so I could be off.  :?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:47:21 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:50 pm »

Or, you could go to wherever/whomever you bought your laptop and ask if it's possible to upgrade the graphics card. Laptops tend to be fussy and a bit difficult to upgrade.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: