Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 06:38:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Securom, and are Mac users cursed with it?  (Read 8641 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
aqua-sheep
Plaid Freak

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:57:25 pm »

I don't know much about it besides that people are freaking out about it. Educate please?
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:36 am »

Neh, not on macs, but the same question is posted just a couple of threads under this Wink it's a lousy program that messes up computers, thats all I know.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:36:39 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:33:29 am »

LOL, you do have a way with words, Michelle. Love it. Milkiemybaby, Securom is a so-called copyright protection piece of - um - software that is designed to protect artists and authors from losing income due to infringement. Now, having said that heavy-handed crap, the problem arises from it's own short-comings that plague all software - older versions of some programs such as NERO (and also many others) are not in Securom's tables as being OK, so it thinks you have pirating software and prevents the game from running. If you can start your game, you don't have a problem. I've heard there are fixes for this if you do have a problem, but I'm not sure where to find them. I've seen it referenced on this site so you may be able to find the threads that have links to the fixes.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:18 am »

SecuRom is a "Digital Rights Management" program that is intended to keep the Sims 2 from being hacked, pirated or copied from one disk to another. It is a very bad program, and depending on the version, can destroy your computer.
Numerous games have it, and it has caused no end of grief for many people.
If you want more information about this, you can check out my links. So far, we have not heard anything about it on Mac's-it mostly affects Windows-based PC's and their operating systems.
If anyone has any information about it affecting Mac's, we would be very interested in hearing about it.

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »

MaryH a program like that is no use on a Mac, since the gaming community on Macs is such a low, low percentage of the total gamers. I think on the official EA poll under 10% answered they were on a mac. But imagine how many that play the sims that never are on the official site. Most of those are pc-users.

And as I have stated earlier, Aspyr wouldn't be bothered to convert it on their own.

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Damsel13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:24:37 pm »

So if I am understanding you Michelle SecuRom is NOT a part of the Sims 2 Bon Voyage for the mac and it sounds like it will not be on Spore either? I looked on the SecuRom website and it  did say something about it being  available for the mac platform so this info. just really confused me as I have read  that EAxis doesn't say on the packaging if it is used or not.
So... I think you answered this but being rather dim about these things could you say for sure it is not on any mac games by EA? :-?:coffee:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:28:00 pm by Damsel13 » Logged

I love this place!
HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:28:27 pm »

It's a windows program.  It's not on Mac games.

Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:51:57 am »

Damsel13 I don't know how the windows-users find securom on their computers, but when I search my Mac for "securom" it comes up with nada. Proof enough for you? I have not heard a single mac-user complain about any of the problems windows-users have experienced after BV.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:16:16 pm by Mi-chii » Logged

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
aqua-sheep
Plaid Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 12:01:08 pm »

thanks Cheesy
Damsel13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:06:16 am »

Well, so I bought BV. Smiley. No problems and I am glad you can't find securom on your mac. I did however take note that in the read me file right  before you install the expansion pack there are several notes one of which is;

"This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disk and virtual disk drives."

This info is also in Very Fine print on the box. I am curious whattechnology EAxis is talking about exactly.:coffee:

I love this place!
aqua-sheep
Plaid Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:29:54 pm »

oh no!! i've had problems uninstalling & reinstalling BV though. securom maybe??
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 04:08:08 pm »

NO. No securom. Just plain old trouble.

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
rosidbon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:38 am »

Since installing BV before the summer I have very bad deteriorating gameplay from a fresh install.
All went reasonably well and I was enjoying the new features, beach lots etc. First i had graphics problems, pixielated faces and flashing black areas. Then the wardrobes and buy clothing function would not work and crashed the game while trying to load clothing. Then it crashed while loading 'make a family' . Now it has green mesh lines instead of neighbourhoods in the neighbourhoods screen and I can't play at all.
whether its Securom or the usual 'don't give a flying f.....' attitude to Mac gamers, it is yet another EP rife with bugs and this time I just can't find a way to fix it even after nearly 4 months of trying, at least 3 hours a day, every thing I can think of, have done before with all other EPs, found on other Mac forums, nothing works and the game just got worse and worse until I have stopped playing (sic), well fighting, with the game.
I am sooooooo angry and upset!!
HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »

Well BV made graphics better I think for everyone.  Was the only reason I purchased it and wasn't disappointed in being able to now use dark skins.  Crashing while trying to change clothing or making a family is either due to a mesh or hack that is incompatible.  Or you have too many downloads, maybe.  The green mesh lines means you have too many downloads.  See the sticky at the top of the Mac help section regarding how to increase your file limit.  If you remove all downloads from your game and delete the cigen.cache and groups.cache, it should load and play fine.  It is NOT securom!  I do not know the exact type of software protection is being used on the Mac, but it is NOT securom.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: