Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 12:53:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics problem  (Read 5405 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 07:55:58 pm »

It's not possible to upgrade integrated graphics cards... :?  If you want a better video card, that requires purchasing a whole new laptop unfortunately.  Sad

mrnapolean1
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:28 pm »

i forgot to say a desktop computer.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:01 am »

From the way it looks, Intel isn't your problem, it's the processor speed.

With all the EP's and SP's you added, you put way too much of a strain on your system. Your laptop doesn't have the power it needs to run all those games.

I'll give you an example of my desktop system:

I have an AMD chip. 1.8 Ghz. In Intel specs, it comes out to a 3.2Ghz. Chip
I have a NVidia Gforce Video Card integrated on my motherboard. 256MB
I have 512 MB of memory.
I have the base game, University, Nightlife, Open For Business.

Now, with those specs, I can't even play Pets. I could, but I'd have a memory problem and I'd end up having to use my hard drive for memory. (Virtural Memory)

That's why I look at the box and see what the requirements are. Plus, I've done enough reading to know that, the more EP's you add, the more of a strain you put on your system. EAxis doesn't tell you that.

The Sims 2 is one great big power hog.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:39:44 am by EKozski » Logged

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 02:08:38 am »

It's a combination of a few things, in all honesty. Your processor, ram and video card all work together in a game. Your processor is like the highway for your computer, ram is the vehicle. In keeping with the car and transporation analogy, the video card is like the window.  A fast car is great, but not if the highway sucks, and not if you can't see out the widow because it's a crappy piece of glass. A crappy car moves better on a good highway and with a good window, but you still have a bit of a rough ride. Get a good car, with a great window and put it on a nice highway and you've got a great ride. Make sense?

First, ignore what the Sims 2 site says about minimum requirements for video cards. Seriously. Especially if your running all EP's. You'll find yourself happiest with nothing below 256mb for your video card, not the measly little 32 mb the site says. At 256 you'll get a clearer picture and be able to see more detail. The site says 1.3 GHz...but meh...imo that just doens't do it. If you got at least a 2.4 GHz processor, I think you'd be happy. You'll find things moving faster Last, we go to memory (RAM). The more you have the better. I recommend, if you want all eps, no less that 1 gb of RAM...2 is lovely and you'll find it moving a lot more smoothly.

If you can afford that...then that's what I would do. I have a 2.6 GHz AMD dual core processor (it's a like a two lane highway in comparison to one), 2 gb of RAM and a set of Radeon x1950 video cards (512 mb). It wasn't cheap, but cheaper than buying it ready made. I bought the parts and had it built for me (I have great friends).

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 03:33:54 am »

I know I have to upgrade mine. BIG TIME!

My motherboard will hold 16 GIG's of memory. I'm only looking to get about 2 or 4 GIG's.

My video card, I can go PCI-Express. I'm looking at a higher end GForce card. I might go to 512MB one. If not, then a 256 MB.

Mine was built so I could upgrade instead of buying a brand new one.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 04:43:26 am »

True enough. Processing power is the key to games like Sims 2. Especially when it grows to behemoth proportions with SPs, EPs, and CC. The Intel DUO processors perform nicely, as do the AMD, in fact, AMD has now announced a quad processor - but that's a different story. I have the game on both a desktop and a laptop. The desktop has a 1.9G processor and the graphics has 256MB built in memory, the laptop has a DUO processor that yields 3+G of processing speed and the graphics card has 512M built on. Both systems have 2GB of RAM. I have both machines loaded to the gills with Sims 2 and CC, the only thing not yet installed is AL. The desktop has gotten a bit jerky in its play, but the laptop runs smoothly. I would recommend at least 1 GB of RAM in addition to the processor and graphics upgrades, but if you are running Windows VISTA, you really don't want less than 2 GB of RAM.
mrnapolean1
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 11:06:27 am »

My dell specs

OS Windows Vista Home premium SP1 (Windows XP Home original)
RAM 1.2 GB (512 MB was the original)
HDD 120 GB Seagate (80 GB Hitachi travel star Original)
Chipset [i am embarrassed/mad at this chipset] Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML
Processor Intel Celeron 1.60 GHz

for a dell inspiron 1300 notebook.
wanturs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 09:41:46 am »

iam soooo not likeing sims2
mrnapolean1
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 04:08:29 pm »

wanturs, how come?
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 12:24:19 am »

And what, exactly, does it have to do with this thread? Please, don't hijack threads with unrelated stuff. Thanks.

mrnapolean1
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 12:51:32 am »

sorry if i broke the rules
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:59 am »

Don't worry mrnapoleon, I wasn't talking to you Smiley I was asking wanturs what her statement had to do with your original question and asking her not to highjack your thread. I could have elaborted on that, my bad. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: