Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 02:23:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does Apartment Life's Witch feature equal Satanism?
Yes - 12 (4%)
No - 91 (30.1%)
What the hell is she smoking? - 199 (65.9%)
Total Voters: 206

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment Life = Satantist?  (Read 59504 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2008, 05:16:49 am »

The whole thing IS laughable MoronStyle7. Heaven help us all, we as a species have practiced hatred and bigotry in the name of whatever god we choose to worship, if any, since we crawled out of our caves. Especially since we decide that we are the sole authority on the subject and everyone else must believe as we do. We still do this, and in the future will continue to do it. For the record, I am Christian. However it is just a GAME! I do think the evil robot thing is a pretty good idea. Bwah-ha-ha. Malevolent servos, cool.
rachel631

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2008, 05:23:07 am »

Just thought I'd add a POV myself... to put it in perspective, I'm a Christian too. My understanding of satanism is that there are two types. De Vries satanism is a form of early humanism which decried the power of the church and focused on the power of mankind to improve one's own condition. Then there's satanism like you see in films, which I find hard to believe actually exists, except when you have teenagers trying to be shocking. Which is really quite sad (in the loser sense of the word).

My understanding of witchcraft is that it also falls into two categories. Wiccanism revolves around nature worship and the sacred feminine, and involves various acts including strict food laws and solstace worship. Witchcraft practised by teenagers through 'the little book of spells' is an attempt to gain control over one's life, but uses none of the spiritual aspects of Wiccanism. Which is really quite sad (in the tragic sense) because it attracts people who are lost and want to control their lives, but are never going to manage it that way.

Anyway, that's my two cents. This site host just seems a little ignorant. Which is a shame, because it makes everyone think that religious Christians are stupid, judgemental people. We're not all nuts, honest!
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2008, 05:37:10 am »

My experience is, the nuts usually are the ones who take silly stands either for against a subject armed with very little, if any, knowledge of the subject itself. However, I have often been called a complete lunatic, so perhaps not all nuts are of the religious kind.
Jake Lucas
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2008, 05:38:24 am »

Rar, I am a member of that site and I may cancel my membership now, I am neither satanic or christian, the game has good witches as well as bad and nuteral, and what about vampires, werewolves and zombies?  Don't they come under satanic as well?

:angel: B good but if u can't b good at least b good at it  :evil2:
Mimi52861

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2008, 05:44:24 am »

My 2 cents is that this is a game and meant to be FUN.  If one does not like the contents of the game, they don't have to play it.

I personally feel that getting all uptight about the witches in AL is a bit extreme, seeing as we've had vampires, zombies and werewolves for some time now.

I don't see any references to "Satan" or "Satanic" worshiping in this game, but then I'm not a paranoid extremist that sees evil in everything & everyone either.

I've been upset with EAxis for several things, SecuROM is at the top of the list, but "Satanic" game content doesn't even make the list!

Not having a sig IS my sig.  Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't is? Nevermind...:smt120
Tomkat

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:42 am »

Thats ridiculous -
and it discriminates against real life witches (wiccans etc) by calling them satanic.

Besides... those fanatics that bash "witches/wizards" like sims now, and harry potter etc -> I hope they dont read fairytales to their kids, or were read them as children. Since every fairytale would also be satanic by comparison.
I pity the fools.
NikonSnow

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

Quote from: kimmyfrmtx;1362162
Some people may be offended by symbols used by the witches in the new EP.

Which symbols, the sparkles or the flying?

(Edited to add this comment was completely facetious. Because fairytales in video games are apparently Serious Buisness. :happy8:)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:59:32 am by NikonSnow » Logged
shc

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

I would like to state from the outset that I am Wiccan.

When I first started reading this thread I had reserved judgement because I thought that maybe, just maybe people may have taken something this DL had said out of proportion.

As I understand it from information on this thread, DL, a confessed christian and fansite administrator had asked in a post/email that with the coming release of AL and it's inclusions of witches that only non-satanic content for/about this to be posted on her site in respect of her beliefs, (which I thought was reasonable). In this post she uses up-side down crosses and pentagrams as an example of such.

When I read that I thought well she is not saying that AL witches or wiccans are satanic, she is probably just talking about cc, pics and stories with a satanic theme which people may be inspired to make because there are witches in AL, and maybe some overly sensitive people had probably thus jumped to the wrong conclusions. Although the mention of the pentagram did make me raise an eyebrow, but as I have come across people before who had not realised the difference between upright and upside-down pentagrams this it didn't raise my hackles. I thought surely if/when someone explained the difference the matter would've then cleared up, as I have found it has done so in the past.

As I read further I soon learned that people had in fact tried to explain this difference to her and she gotten narkyand defensive and had started banning people.

When I read that I thought that although it that was a bit extreme maybe the people trying to explain said differences to her went the wrong way about it, possibly in an somewhat accusitory and/or aggresive tone. I know if I was 'attacked' that way I could possibly become defensive and overact saying and/or doing things that I may later regret.

When I came to the post with the link to the pic of the deleted thread mentioned, I was both disappointed and saddened when I read the last bit of her first post where she lumps all witches together and calls them satanist. Not only is it ignorant and narrow-minded, but it is purposefully ignorant and narrow-minded which is even worse in my opinion.

Having said that, I would like to make something known. According to christian beliefs, the only true god is their God, meaning of course that any other diety/entity is a false god. Christians also believe that these 'false gods' are nothing more then disguises used by the devil to trick people into worshipping the wrong god and therefore into sin. Hence how witches/pagans came to be viewed as satan-worshippers, because we worship false gods, ie satan.

So in a sense, according to DL beliefs witches, be they bad ones or good ones are satanists. But then so are buddhist, or any of the native tribal/pagan religions across the globe. In fact saving ignorant savages souls from the devil was one of the excuses europeans used to themselves when they were invading...... oops I mean colonising the rest of the world. These days the western world just uses Democracy and the right to Freedom as an excuse to invade...... oops I mean liberate other nations.

I should note here that Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same god, they just can't agree on the right way to worship him. (just in case someone ask why I did not mention them).

Back to subject.

As I am a firm believer in respecting a person beliefs (even if I think they are totally wrong and/or idiotic) and although it pains me to say this given my own personal beliefs but if DL believes witchcraft in all it's forms are satanic due to her beliefs and deems it unsuitable subject matter for her site then indeed she has the right to do so. Furthermore if she wishes that any discussion/debate of this matter to be removed off her site then she has that right too.

Sadly the ideal of respecting and tolerating other people's beliefs and notions sometimes also means respecting and tolerating people who do not respect and tolerate yours.

By all means I don't expect anyone to agree with with me on this (I wish I could *grumbles to self* damn moral compass) and you are all free to critique(bag) her beliefs and choices as much as you want in alternate sites/forums such as this thread. Because if she has the right to demand we respect her view and demands on her site, then we have the right to express our views where we are allowed, and to have them respected as well.

There is one thing I do believe that she did that she shouldn't have done and had no right to do, and that is sending a mass-email to members of her site stating her request as well as her position on witchcraft in such a horrible tone. If she wanted to inform people of her preferences regarding material put on her site she should have put a notice up where people can see it when they enter that site or put a thread about it in it's 'Site News'. But hounding her members all the way back to where they live (figuritively speaking) and shoving it in their face is not the wisest idea, particularly considering she doesn't know each individuals faith/beliefs and especially if she had wanted people to be considerate of her in this matter.
Pixflix

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:22 am »

Hi gang,
I am a member over at Sim Antics(drpf)
Zep is right that there is a few creators who have blacklisted anyone from the DlM forum.
My own experience is I did try to give the creator there wish yet I was still put out to dry and very publicly humiliated over the fact that I posted something on her site over there own issue with Muslow that had nothing to do with me so much for tolerance and compromise lol
My experience with Dl has been someone who has nurtured her creators, has been kind and supportive towards myself and others she doesn't put up with rudeness or anyone criticizing her members or there creations(if you saw the hair I created for one of my sims you know she was protecting me from the assault of wth is that?)
It's sad that everyone involved had such a strong reaction when there really is no way to resolve the issue since everyone believes there right it just has lead to a  big fall out from it
I won't speak badly of Dl or her religious beliefs
It is her forum if she compromised her beliefs then that forum wouldn't be fun for her.It's her faith and she isn't going to back down from her faith even if she is ridiculed or loses some of her friends over it
I wish there was more understanding and tolerance for all involved which I seriously doubt will happen.This is just a game but there is so much disagreement over everything rather you share a file or share a belief its a constant battleground that it really doesn't seem worth being part of the community
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2008, 12:14:21 pm »

I've been on this thread several times now, and I think nearly every point of view has been expressed, in several different ways. Perhaps it is time to declare that the horse is dead, and we should stop beating it.
J00wish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:34 pm »

Hi drpf! In regards to the topic posted, was anyone banned for being on DL's site for their affiliation with her based on the religious statements? I don't want this to be a file sharing issue as Kathy is trying to be as neutral as possible. I can also tell you that no creators have been banned here for that. They are more than welcome to share their creations as long as they follow the rules set forth on this site. Smiley

I am glad that you have not had any issues with DL. I have been fighting to keep this thread from becoming a bashing of her. She has every right to her beliefs. But people also have a right to sound off on their opinion of the email and their personal feelings on the AL EP, witchcraft and whether or not it crosses the line.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:02:47 pm by J00wish » Logged

"Cant sleep... Clown will eat me." -- Bart Simpson  

AlbinoBambi

A.k.a. Ilse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:20 pm »

Ok, I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but I think somebody is 'slightly' overreacting.
I'm a Christian, and I don't believe witchcraft is right, but I do believe in people having enough sense to choose what they want to believe, accept and 'use'.

Also, I don't think banning members is the way to convert people, it's more likely to scare them away. There is a line between telling people about your faith, and acting like your church and faith is the only right thing in the whole wide world.

But that's just me.

Why can't life be like The Sims, where you can control someone with just one click?

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:39 pm »

Christians also believe that these 'false gods' are nothing more then disguises used by the devil to trick people into worshipping the wrong god and therefore into sin. Hence how witches/pagans came to be viewed as satan-worshippers, because we worship false gods, ie satan.

Excuse me, but this is the first I've heard about this. I've always been taught (as a Christian) to respect others' beliefs, no matter what they are. It may have been another of Constantine's smear tactics, but that's definitely not what was originally believed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Smiley

No requests please
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2008, 01:18:06 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79
Christians also believe that these 'false gods' are nothing more then disguises used by the devil to trick people into worshipping the wrong god and therefore into sin. Hence how witches/pagans came to be viewed as satan-worshippers, because we worship false gods, ie satan.
Excuse me, but this is the first I've heard about this. I've always been taught (as a Christian) to respect others' beliefs, no matter what they are. It may have been another of Constantine's smear tactics, but that's definitely not what was originally believed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sadie, the quote is's true... this was something that's in the Old Testament of the Bible.  Basically "Thou shall not put other gods before me" in the Ten Commandments.  

Hey... as long as we're not believing in and worshiping other deities other than Him, ("we're" in the meaning of Christian believers, or however you want to take it) it's okay to know about them and understand how other people worship.  I see nothing wrong with the knowledge of the fact, and I do hold respect for the other religions.  We just all have different preferences is all.  :angel:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:21:44 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2008, 01:31:35 pm »

Each person believe anything he wants to believe, but he (or she, in our case) shouldnt force other people to believe his "rubbish" thoughts, whom may not be truth, I dont believe Maxis are group of satanic peple and they developed gameplay for that.

How could this be satanic nor evil? whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: