Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 06:06:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does Apartment Life's Witch feature equal Satanism?
Yes - 12 (4%)
No - 91 (30.1%)
What the hell is she smoking? - 199 (65.9%)
Total Voters: 206

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment Life = Satantist?  (Read 60323 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kimmyfrmtx

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:18 pm »

Quote from: ragingtexan;1362174
Wikipedia for Satanism.

No allusions to witchcraft exist within the article, which is my main argument with the premise that GAMBLER and the rest put forth - it's immediately logically false and intellectually dishonest to associate witchcraft with Satanism.

Thanks for the wiki (I think).  I still don't know much more than I did before but I have a starting place to learn more about it.  The different beliefs have always fascinated me and have ask questions of many people practicing those beliefs to mixed reactions.  Some seem offended - to the other extreme, some want to "convert" me.

How to explain to a non-simmer it is just the knowledge sim in me wanting to know about everything?  Oh well, such is life.

I agree tho, it is a game.  If someone doesn't like certain aspects of it, don't play it.  I am not into green aliens "trying to blend in" to a humanoid neighborhood.  It just doesn't compute in my brain.  No one would notice a "green person with bug eyes and a tiny little nose" trying to pass itself off as human.

My friend has whole neighborhoods that are complete aliens from various planets.  

Neither of us are right or wrong, we don't try to convert each other, we just ask about how each others hood is coming along and accept that it makes the other happy.
ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:39 pm »

Quote from: kathy;1362175
Which brings me to my next question.. how many of us actually understand modern day satanism? I will be the first to admit that I have no idea other than the articles I read from the 80's.

And that's the entire issue - there's not much knowledge short of conjecture and base propaganda from Christian religions - while I admit to being totally indoctrinated by Southern Baptism in my youth, there's a staunch degree of propaganda involved in most anti-Christianity arguments, which is the crux of the debate here. My understanding of the Church of Satan (as levied forth by Anton Szandor LaVey)  it's a stone's throw from secular humanism with a handful of occultism thrown in for good measure.

From what I've read on the official doctrine, their premise for the religion seems pretty shaky and contradictory.One argument states that they more-or-less reject the dualist concept of God and Satan. On the other hand, they explicitly refer to the "Prince of Darkness." It's fairly asinine and not well-reasoned in the least, but it's no less terrible than such an argument as GAMBLER posits forth with his/her ejaculations of odd logic and reasoning.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:47:21 pm by ragingtexan » Logged

"Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process embedded in the human spirit." - Abbie Hoffmann
pinkshoe

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2008, 11:46:38 pm »

Thank you for the insightful replies!
It's nice to see that you can actually post here with a concern without getting your head bashed in!
Joowish,
I didn't mean you!I totally meant Kathy!l Smiley I am just kidding Kathy
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2008, 11:47:06 pm »

I think tomorrow after the kids are at school I will read up on it a bit more. The media has always painted it to be something completely different and as well all know the media feeds us what they want us to believe.. regardless whether it is correct or not.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:11 pm »

I've found an interesting article about witchcraft:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/646051/witchcraft

No requests please
ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »

Quote from: pinkshoe;1362203
Thank you for the insightful replies!
It's nice to see that you can actually post here with a concern without getting your head bashed in!
Joowish,
I didn't mean you!I totally meant Kathy!l Smiley I am just kidding Kathy

*angrily bashes pinkshoe's head in*

How dare you try and be civil!!!!!

"Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process embedded in the human spirit." - Abbie Hoffmann
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:01 pm »

Quote from: Sadie79;1362207
I've found an interesting article about witchcraft:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/646051/witchcraft

Sadie thanks for the link.. I will finish reading it in the morning

Quote from: ragingtexan;1362209
*angrily bashes pinkshoe's head in*

How dare you try and be civil!!!!!
lol Right... Lets throw stuff at me instead
Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:03 am »

Quote from: kathy;1362218
lol Right... Lets throw stuff at me instead

If you insist...

*chucks the Dork at Kathy and runs like hell*

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
Lael

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:49 am »

Quote from: ancienthighway;1362138
In addition to the InSim regulars, I see two new groups here;  those that that have come defending DLMuslow, and those that have brought the defense of their beliefs here since they can't speak freely on Muslow's site.

No matter how much one side tries to convince the other side they are wrong, the arguments fall on deaf ears because of their beliefs and convictions.  No one is going to change their beliefs because of this discussion.  All that will happen is people will continue to become outraged and quite possibly in their response say things they regret later or branch the discussion into areas that pull more people into the battle of words.

It's time to concede neither each side of this discussion will change.  Ignore them and move on.

I applaud this. Neither side nor any will ever concede. Basically what I tried to say but replacing belief with knowledge. A belief can be wrong, but knowledge rarely is and is easily corrected for accuracy.

::smilieiforgetwhi:: "No longer talk at all about the kind of man that a good man ought to be, but be such." Book X Paragraph 16, "The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius" ::smilieiforgetwhi::
mizmudgie
Site Santa!

Yes...I bite.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2008, 12:15:47 am »

Quote from: kathy;1359448
As we all know in this last EP release brought Witches to our game. Some have embraced this concept while some were bothered by it. However one community member/site owner DLMulsow has taken it upon herself to declare that it embraces satantic behavior and even decided to mass email her members concerning it and ban those who disagree/question her authority.

While some of us may have found this amusing at best and incrediably absurd at the same time it has me rather curious as to what everyone else thinks.

I, personally, think some people need to get a grip on reality and possibly seek help.

I think your view is screwed and you need to seek help.  

Why is your opinion or anyone else's right and hers wrong? If this is her faith based decision then I say good for her, she is taking a stand on what is important to her.  Freedom of speech is just that, the right to say that she finds this content offensive.  Freedom of religion says she can bar such offensive things from her site.  Welcome to America, if it bothers you...Harden Up!!!

If you want respect...SHOW RESPECT!!
Zephyrash

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2008, 12:20:48 am »

I quit playing for a while and all this happens...I didn't even get the email. I must be really out of the loop...and probably banned now.

Modern Christianity drove me away with its emphasis on their Satan (and the whole gay issue) now my game is "satanic"Huh? Jeeze thats more than even I can tolerate.

I enjoy the occasional CC download spree and havent wanted to delete any links to good quality stuff, thats why I had to come back here now and then for the good stuff.

I have to be honest and say I just dont know what to think anymore. You all raised such valid points of view and I'm happy this post caught my eye.
I miss being part of a lively Simming community but not so much that I want to dive back into the drama of being slammed for having a part in the DLM site.
Please know I never knew the whole christianity issue would take over the site. I know a few of you have voiced your distaste for those of us who frequented her site but it wasn't all about her religion for us, we just enjoyed the game.
I enjoy the game and the witches are really cute...and my Selfie is a cackling green sparkly witch now.
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2008, 12:21:59 am »

Miz did you bother reading any of this thread? If not I would suggest you do so.
ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2008, 12:27:17 am »

Quote from: mizmudgie;1362239
I think your view is screwed and you need to seek help.  

Why is your opinion or anyone else's right and hers wrong? If this is her faith based decision then I say good for her, she is taking a stand on what is important to her.  Freedom of speech is just that, the right to say that she finds this content offensive.  Freedom of religion says she can bar such offensive things from her site.  Welcome to America, if it bothers you...Harden Up!!!

...Because it's factually incorrect? Like she said, did you even read the entire thread? What's with the jingoistic crap too?

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2008, 12:29:18 am »

It seems that you have hardened up in the brain area. I was raised with religion, but also not to judge. I have no problem with Wiccans or pagans, in fact the man that performed my marriage ceremony was a gay Wiccan. She didn't even have any evidence to support her assertion that Apartment Life was indeed, Satanic, she just had a knee jerk reaction that spilled out onto the rest of the community. She can do what she likes on her site, but to openly bash the faith and orientation of others is a sad testimony of what kind of belief she actually has. It is a cartoon representation of what lots of people believe about witches, like the Wizard of Oz, complete with the green skin for the bad witches. Educate yourself about what Satanism actually is, and maybe your faith will grow. Continue to flail about like a chicken being roasted alive, and you will be aboard the phailboat with the likes of her. Besides, it's not as if she has ever practiced what she preaches at others to do, but that is something else for another time.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:33 am »

Quote from: Zephyrash;1362242
I quit playing for a while and all this happens...I didn't even get the email. I must be really out of the loop...and probably banned now.

Modern Christianity drove me away with its emphasis on their Satan (and the whole gay issue) now my game is "satanic"Huh? Jeeze thats more than even I can tolerate.

I enjoy the occasional CC download spree and havent wanted to delete any links to good quality stuff, thats why I had to come back here now and then for the good stuff.

I have to be honest and say I just dont know what to think anymore. You all raised such valid points of view and I'm happy this post caught my eye.
I miss being part of a lively Simming community but not so much that I want to dive back into the drama of being slammed for having a part in the DLM site.
Please know I never knew the whole christianity issue would take over the site. I know a few of you have voiced your distaste for those of us who frequented her site but it wasn't all about her religion for us, we just enjoyed the game.
I enjoy the game and the witches are really cute...and my Selfie is a cackling green sparkly witch now.
Hi Zephy... Sadly there will, undoubtly, be drama on any site. The homosexual issue is what drove a number of my close friends away from Christianity as well because they felt unwelcome and unwanted. Needless to say it isn't a pleasant feeling and as one friend described it.. Why would he choose a sexual preference that would have caused him to be shunned by his family and his community?

We have so many different types of people that play this game. Whether they be gay or straight, Christian or Muslim the game does not discriminate. They even gave males the ability to have babies. Witches, aliens, zombies all seem to appeal to the younger fan base while amusing, even if only for the short term, the older fan base.

The only discrimination I see is the ones that we impose on other people. As I stated before I could make up the most outlandish rules and say you either agree or go away. For the most part, whether people agreed or not, they wouldn't say boo and would simply grab their downloads and run back to a site where they are not going to be judged because they don't fit into what the other person views as being acceptable.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: