Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:13:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does Apartment Life's Witch feature equal Satanism?
Yes - 12 (4%)
No - 91 (30.1%)
What the hell is she smoking? - 199 (65.9%)
Total Voters: 206

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment Life = Satantist?  (Read 59486 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2008, 12:40:41 am »

I have enjoyed the information here. I have been educating myself also, because I really have not had interest in witchcraft and the practices. I never believe in anything that is not concrete or where my short eyesight cannot see.

I am also very happy to see that the people of this community is not closed-minded. That is how ignorance can be fought and gaining intelligence will help keep peace. Although alot of us have been raised in the Christian faith of one kind or another, people have been harmed in one way or another by fanaticsim, or extreme fundamentalism. That does not make one God-like or "treating others as one wants to be treated".  There is evil in "being to that extreme" cause you will end the lives of others for your beliefs, and thinking you are God in determining who lives or dies.

Those are the very reasons that being closed to others ways of life is insulting and also very dangerous. Centuries ago, Christians had the belief that not only witches, vampires, werewolves were evil and must be killed, but they lumped in the color of one's skin (african and danced to a harty beat) being satanic and needed to be reformed, enslaved, or killed.

I hope that people will open there minds to the diversity of all people and either accept they are humans also, respect their right to live the way they want to if they are causing no harm to others. Those who practice for evil and harm others are the ones to be persecuted and judged for the safety of humanity.

I guess what I want to say most of all, there are real evils out there to stand up against. I fear people who do that more than witches, voodoo practice, or whatever some want to label Satanist.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
J00wish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:50 am »

Quote from: Zephyrash;1362242
I quit playing for a while and all this happens...I didn't even get the email. I must be really out of the loop...and probably banned now.

Modern Christianity drove me away with its emphasis on their Satan (and the whole gay issue) now my game is "satanic"Huh? Jeeze thats more than even I can tolerate.

I enjoy the occasional CC download spree and havent wanted to delete any links to good quality stuff, thats why I had to come back here now and then for the good stuff.

I have to be honest and say I just dont know what to think anymore. You all raised such valid points of view and I'm happy this post caught my eye.
I miss being part of a lively Simming community but not so much that I want to dive back into the drama of being slammed for having a part in the DLM site.
Please know I never knew the whole christianity issue would take over the site. I know a few of you have voiced your distaste for those of us who frequented her site but it wasn't all about her religion for us, we just enjoyed the game.
I enjoy the game and the witches are really cute...and my Selfie is a cackling green sparkly witch now.

Zephy! *hugs* No one should be slammed for where they go. I don't think anyone should have to 'pick a side' either. These communities were supposed to be built around playing the Sims2 game... and not based what religion or lifestyle you choose. Heck, I have yet to see a Jewish Sims2 site. Hehe. Honestly I am still hoping this will continue to be an enlightening discussion on different religions, the Sims2 game and what (if anything) is above what should be in a game created for teens and above. I say to get past the name of the original author of the email and continue the discussion about Kathy's original question. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:45:52 am by J00wish » Logged

"Cant sleep... Clown will eat me." -- Bart Simpson  

sevenslucy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:48 am »

I myself am not a religious person at all, but on the other hand religion doesn't offend me at all. I don't think that Apartment Life has anything to do with Satanism.. I mean the game is rated T... Plus in the Sims 1 EA came out with Makin' Magic.

Of course she has a right to her beliefs, and it is her site. But banning people for trying to explain the facts? Now that's more than a little warped.

Oh well, whatever. I didn't go to that site much anyway. Smiley

Latesco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:37 am »

I just had to forward this thread to my boyfriend.  He's a militant atheist and will get a jolly old laugh out of such antics.

In my opinion 75% of Christians are misled and misinformed.  Those are the ones I try to avoid.  Based on the quote in the original post of this thread this DL person would fall into that percentile.  That's one site I will not be visiting.  It's unfortunate that she can't put aside such an outlandish judgment and just enjoy the game and the community.  That's the trap that those types of people fall into though.  They want the world to conform to their right-wing beliefs.  I predict that she will experience such a strong backlash from her stance that she'll ultimately wish she had just kept her two cents to herself.

= Simlebrity =
Updated 08/28/08
ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:11 am »

Apartment Life = Santatist! Damn that Santa!

"Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process embedded in the human spirit." - Abbie Hoffmann
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2008, 01:01:32 am »

Freedom of Speech is wonderful, mizmudgie, but so often people forget that along with it comes the responsbility to accept the consequences for what you say. She can say what she wants, true, and we're just as free to speak our thoughts on it since, as others have said, she won't let people discuss it there.

Now, in my reading and self education regarding different belief systems and religions, Satanism is just as wide and varied as Christianity. There are alot of different paths; however, the one constant I've found is a concentration on iconoclasm and catharsis. The majority believe that if something good happens, it's because of you and not God. Thank yourself for your achievements and not any outside force. You pay for your sins, no one else does, so do what you want if it makes you happy.

Not a philosophy I want to base my life on, but there you have it. I can happily explain the most common reasons why people equate the Wiccan faith with Satanism if you all don't mind a long post from yours truly. I find different religions interesting and have read quite a bit about them. It's sad so often the subject isn't one that can be discussed without people getting offended or have it turn into a heated debate.

Zephyrash, I agree with Odessa. We're not punishing or bashing the people who frequent DL's site, we're discussing the validity or lack thereof of her argument re: Witches=Satanism.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
cavilez1987

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:08 am »

Hmmmm Can you say get a life? thats just pathetic. I mean come on you really think EA would come out with a GAME based on satanic things. I dont believe in anything but in my opinion thats just a crock of s***. Grow up. The witches in the game are pathetic not even close to being satanic. lol.

So what do you want to do tonight?
I don't know what do you want to do?
I don't know what do you want to do?
Corinne

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:09 am »

It's sad that someone, or a group of people, have to be falsely judged. I thought this segregation thing was over.

ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:57 am »

Quote from: Daisy Stain;1362272
It's sad that someone, or a group of people, have to be falsely judged. I thought this segregation thing was over.

How is this issue even remotely related to segregation? Sure, there's something to be said about prejudice with respect to religion or lack thereof, but the accusation of segregation makes little to no sense since nobody is being divided or ostracized based on religion. I think you're being a bit presumptuous here.

"Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process embedded in the human spirit." - Abbie Hoffmann
spookymuffin

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Quote from: mizmudgie;1362239
Welcome to America, if it bothers you...Harden Up!!!

And here I thought I was on the internet, a network that includes every country in the world...

Hadn't realised that I had been in America all this time. Wow.

As for commending someone because they have blind faith in something like this; it makes me very uncomfortable. What is so commendable about following something blindly until you become this irrational? I think that that kind of behaviour is deplorable! What good can come from such an attitude?

The sims2 is a game, a game with no real religious elements in it (thankfully) and for someone to see satanism in the Hollywood parody of a different religion entirely? That's a little crazy.

Also, so what if it was "satanist"? Satanism is a religion just as much as Christianity, does she ban people on her site for being any religion other than Christian?
For me I see no difference between someone who is Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Satanist, Pagan or whatever.

Che, some people need to get over themselves.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin.
[/COLOR]
ragingtexan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2008, 01:20:25 am »

Quote from: spookymuffin;1362279
And here I thought I was on the internet, a network that includes every country in the world...

Hadn't realised that I had been in America all this time. Wow.

As for commending someone because they have blind faith in something like this; it makes me very uncomfortable. What is so commendable about following something blindly until you become this irrational? I think that that kind of behaviour is deplorable! What good can come from such an attitude?

The sims2 is a game, a game with no real religious elements in it (thankfully) and for someone to see satanism in the Hollywood parody of a different religion entirely? That's a little crazy.

Also, so what if it was "satanist"? Satanism is a religion just as much as Christianity, does she ban people on her site for being any religion other than Christian?
For me I see no difference between someone who is Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Satanist, Pagan or whatever.

Che, some people need to get over themselves.

What are you doing on the internet with your rationale and understanding?!!?! You'd better leave now.

hillsim1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2008, 02:05:18 am »

Wow, this is a lot of talk about only one site and the owner's beliefs...  before I take sides, let me remind you all that we are all in a society, where, believe it or not, we are entitled to believe whatever we want...  Because someone wants to take a stand against something does not mean that they should be ridiculed or talked about.  
It does not necessarily show ignorance, it could be a fear, or dislike, or just because of the teachings one has had.  Just as some are taught that witches are satanistic, others are taught the opposite.  
True that it is just a game, but each person plays it for different reasons and should be allowed to do so...  

I happen to dislike the witches, vampires, werewolves, zombies, plantsims, etc...  I just play it for the sims (people, dogs, and cats).  

Please do not be so quick to dismiss another persons views, what would happen if you were to take a stand against something, anything?
Firestar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2008, 02:35:50 am »

After my last small comment I've been reading all this with interest.  Zeph, my game is more evil than yours.  I have everything you could condemn in mine because of my writing - including a couple of your gorgeous gay guys and several witches.

But seriously, I am a witch.  I guess its kind of obvious.  I am happy with who and what I am.  I'm not a satanist.  Don't believe in him.  Do believe in evil.  I respect everyone's beliefs and also think everyone has a right to follow their own path.  I also believe that originally benevolant symbols like the pentgram and the swastika have been perverted in the eyes of the world by misuse or misrepresentation.  

However, Sims is a game... the witches are fairytale silly.  (Although I would like to point out I don't use green base...prefer to by my makeup at Lancome or Clarins).  I am not offended in any way by the representation.  If DL is and chooses to exclude part of the game for that reason it will likely be her loss.  I don't know her.  I haven't read her threads.  I'm a little sorry for anyone as narrow minded as people seem to suggest she is.  But all faiths have been persecuted at some time.  All have their good and bad elements and people. That is the way we humans are made.  We think everyone should fit in a little box and fear the different.

We should remember though that this is just a game and not get our knickers in a twist over it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:51:54 am by Firestar » Logged

Always trust your first initial feelings, Special knowledge holds true, Bares believing, I turned around, In the crystalline knowledge of you.
Lael

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38:58 am »

Quote from: hillsim1;1362298
Wow, this is a lot of talk about only one site and the owner's beliefs...  before I take sides, let me remind you all that we are all in a society, where, believe it or not, we are entitled to believe whatever we want...  Because someone wants to take a stand against something does not mean that they should be ridiculed or talked about.  
It does not necessarily show ignorance, it could be a fear, or dislike, or just because of the teachings one has had.  Just as some are taught that witches are satanistic, others are taught the opposite.  
True that it is just a game, but each person plays it for different reasons and should be allowed to do so...  

I happen to dislike the witches, vampires, werewolves, zombies, plantsims, etc...  I just play it for the sims (people, dogs, and cats).  

Please do not be so quick to dismiss another persons views, what would happen if you were to take a stand against something, anything?

The object of starting all of this, if I understand Kathy correctly, was to get various opinions on this subject. When one chooses to accept something blindly and state it as a fact without bothering to check on it, it is in fact ignorance. It cannot be explained away as anything else. Just because you are taught something, especially within religious context, does not make it true. When you take the time to examine and study a subject, within and outside of religious dogma, then you can make a claim that is not in ignorance.

To make the claim that someone is demonic, well, I cannot give credence to such a person's ability to make statements on another religion. No more so than when that same individual refuses correction on incorrect assumptions made in ignorance of fact. I would be doing myself a disservice and society by simply saying nothing. They will still have the same opinion, no doubt, as they did before I stuck my long winded foot in it.

To accept blindly, without study or careful thought, that is the very essence of ignorance. This is the way that tyrants and genocides have gained their power within the world through the ages. It is how books are burned and ideas stagnate because they fall outside of religious dogma.

While each is entitled to their own preferred flavor of worship, to do so in a manner that is disrespectful of others is hardly acceptable. When your beliefs become an infliction and pain to those outside of yours, why are we to say nothing? You mention taking a stand. This is exactly what is being done. Yet you take it back with the other hand. We shouldn't be taking a stand against what said and done because it is her right to do what she did. That is true. And now we exercise our rights to discuss and disagree with those same actions. You cannot have it both ways. It applies equally or not at all.

This isn't dismissing views, by the way. It is disagreeing on the foundation of knowledge and its application. At the very least, it is discussing plain rudeness in expression. The original words used were meant to be negative and insulting. Kind of hard to just swallow that without needing some Heimlich. Silence = condoning. Therefor I am not silent.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:45:44 am by Lael » Logged

::smilieiforgetwhi:: "No longer talk at all about the kind of man that a good man ought to be, but be such." Book X Paragraph 16, "The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius" ::smilieiforgetwhi::
Enayla

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2008, 04:54:24 am »

I feel a little like embellishing what I said earlier.

First of all, I do not know DLMulsow, I have no quarrel with her and I’m not going to judge her based on what I’ve heard here or what others might say. I’ll go ahead and make my mental sketch from what I’ve read of what she has said instead, which is her public announcement and then later her replies to the people discussing the issue with her in the specific thread on her forum.

Having said that, I’ve been enough amused by her reaction that I’ve told my friends about it and some have even read her letter – I would have done the same if it had been a Wiccan forum forbidding the use of Santa-imagery due to Christianity, because that would have been just about as ridiculous. It is true that she has the right to kick whoever she likes out of her forum but with that, it’s also true that they have the right to speak openly about their opinions of her elsewhere, and that the rest of us can talk about the issue as well. It’s only fair. There’s obviously no room to discuss it with her so this is the only venue.

I’ve run a couple of forums in my days, and though I’m not a Christian, I’ve never once kicked anyone out for showing a picture of baby Jesus or daring to defend their beliefs to me.

I’ve laughed a bit about what DLMulsow has done, since I first read it, but I understand that it’s also genuinely upsetting for those that were kicked out – it sucks to find out that someone you admired has such a narrow view of the world.

At the end of the day, what happened was as absurd as someone deciding that a teletubby is gay because it has a handbag, and just as insulting and belittling to every party involved… not to mention the loss of respect DLMulsow will suffer from the incident.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:01:55 am by Enayla » Logged

[INDENT]www.furiae.com[/INDENT]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: