Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:03:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: whats your otlook on the sims 3  (Voting closed: February 01, 2009, 08:20:10 pm)
pessimistic - 46 (21%)
hopeful - 50 (22.8%)
cant wait - 75 (34.2%)
wont buy it full stop - 18 (8.2%)
cant decide - 30 (13.7%)
Total Voters: 139

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: why is everyone so pessimistic about the sims 3?  (Read 24973 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 03:07:21 am »

My standpoint on the new game is this, it'll all depend on many factors as to if I or a number of like minded people I've read will ever get TS3:

1. The Look - As Odessa pointed out, the game doesn't look that visually appealing. The Sims themselves have a very odd look to them, and the skin complexion looks as she so eloquently put it "Doughy". Skinning is pretty much going to be a mandatory CC requirement if you even want to make anything close to what you have on TS2.

2. Content - Speaking of skins, CC in general is going to be a major issue. It'll more then likely take a good year or so before any good CC is available, let alone from some of the "famed" content creators out there. And who's to say any of them will rush out to get the new game immediately either? Most of the Maxis default stuff is trash, so chances are we will see a lot of recolors to start, but as far as meshes go, or new body types...I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. Longevity - There are people who (like me) have invested YEARS on the TS2. While I'm new to this board, I've played the game for 4 years now. I have generations of sims in double digits now. Neighborhoods that have all kinds of history behind them. There's no way I myself can pack all of that game time in and start all over. It wouldn't even be worth it. Now there are some people who are like me in that regard, and some people that aren't. But for the majority, they've put to much into the game to start from scratch on a new one.

In summary, I'm not at all saying I'll never get the game. I am saying it'll be a good, long time before I do. I'm still quite content with TS2, and there will still be a strong surplus of CC well into and after the release of TS3. Just like it took a few years for the 2nd game to pick up steam, so to will it take years for the 3rd one. For anyone new to the series, yes...it's a definite good idea to get the new game. If you're a casual simmer, good purchase. But if you're die-hard about it and want to be able to customize things to your liking, do yourself the solid of waiting it out. Unless Maxis opens the doors up to creating different body shapes via in game sliders (Like any OTHER game that allows you to create an avatar...let's get with the program, Maxis) don't expect any varied content to emerge on the 3rd game for a while. That's my 2 cents.

lanikai

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 04:50:01 pm »

What the fUDGE?? In game adverts...I'm almost speechless. I'm pissed! I hate hate HATE commercials and feeling like I'm trying to be sold everything under the sun. Now there're supposed to be ads in a GAME...with no regard to the people they're (EA and this AGI shite) advertising to, and what we feel about it. That's so wrong. It's kinda funny too, because if I DO end up getting this game and I see any of these billboards, no more Sims for me! In The Sims Resource forum topic ABOUT these billboards in The Sims 3, some people say it'll add realism to the game. In REAL LIFE, commercials aren't "realistic". Grown women trying to sell toys for a company by talking in a 5 year old voice doesn't reek realism to me. >_> It doesn't compel me to go out and buy a toy truck for my baby cousin, either. No need for that in-your-face advertising in a game! And maybe I'm naive n' don't know what I'm talking about, but doesn't it ultimately cost SOMEONE some money to advertise? GRRRR. I'm turned off completely.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:06:29 pm by lanikai » Logged
freoninferno

Truth is a great flirt.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 05:40:48 pm »

securom = bad illegal spyware, breaking and entering, etc, mmkay?

ive been looking through this part of the forum and cant help but notice that so many people are not exactly happy with the idea of the sims 3 coming out and i was woundering why as no one really can tell what the game is going to be like until they have actually played it everyone seems to be going on how it looks when i would of thought the game play would be more important
i mean i can understand why so aspects of the game seem a bit peculiar (i mean im a picky control freak so the idea that i cant control my sims all the time terrifys me) but i dont really see at the moment what is so bad about the game?
any comments, thoughts, ideas? good or bad?

CONTROL - ALT - DELETE
Dec12741

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:50 pm »

On Tuesday December 16th(U.S),it will be 2 months until Sims 3 comes out
utterchaos

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:40 am »

I'm looking forward to the sims 3 cause i'm getting a little bored on sims 2. I'm not to keen on the way the sims in the game look though. I was hoping for more realism where the sims look like real people so i won't have to rely on mods that change the default eyes and skins.
imdvine

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 11:53:54 am »

Keep in mind that EA doesn't allow for file sharing between games, only eps and sps.  So when you install Sim3 you will lose everything you had and will have to start all over again.  I have not been playing for long and have been keeping my games simple in anticipation of the new game but my heart goes out to all the people who have been simmers for years and have collected libraries full of custom content it will be back to square one for them if they install this game.  I son't think that Ea takes into account that many player have been playing through generations of sims and they offer no way to continue that into the next game.
henrythesecond

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 12:38:53 am »

There are several reasons folks are pessimistic about TS3. For one, when TS2 came out, you were going from 2D to 3D. The differences were massive, but clearly they won't be so massive going from TS2 to TS3. With TS2, you literally got a whole new game. However, TS3'll probably come off like a really big EP rather than a giant leap forward. A second reason is this-you won't have all the custom content going straight into TS3. It'll take about eighteen months to two years to really get good custom content out, and that's a big factor when you're used to rigging the game the way you want. Third, we are in a bit of a recession, and people are wondering if they'll need bigger machines to handle TS3. Lastly, a lot of people flatly do not trust EA to use quality software in the game. I keep remembering something GunMod mentioned when he made his magnificent hack for lighting. He'd mentioned Maxis deliberately used a "broken" program for it-in other words, they were cutting costs, pretty pathetic when you consider how much money they've made off of TS2. We'd see more of the same with TS3 I'm sure. Furthermore, you flat burn out on TS2 in time unless something really new comes along, and I'm not sure just how "new" TS3 will be.
mhahse57
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 04:08:00 am »

I honestly don't think I'll be buying it. I'm plenty happy with what is possible in TS2 right now. That, and I don't really like how the people in TS3 look.

I doubt my computer could even handle TS3, and besides that, it's coming out right around when I start college, and I'll be moving to a laptop, which definitely means no Sims. ) :

There's still so much that can be done in TS2 with custom content, mods, etc. and creators are releasing new stuff all the time. I think it might be too soon for a new Sims game. I'm still very happy with my TS2.

Just so you know, I have played Sims2 on a laptop with every EP and nearly every stuff pack (and 30,000 download files) for the last four years and, yes at first on the 2003 models with XP the game lagged badly (It was only a 50 Gig computer with Sims2 up to OFB on board.)  However, if you get even a mid-range laptop by today's standards, the Sims2 and especially Sims3 should play fine. I got my new HP laptop in 2007--it plays incredibly well.  Newer models with 2GB of RAM and a 1.6 GB core work great, and those are now way lower than the $1,200 US I paid two years ago.  I would like to have a 200 GB hard drive, but I am quite content with the 160 Gig that I got.  The trick is to ask your dealer, specifically, for a gaming level video and sound card (mine's an NVidia 7600 and works great even with high poly meshes) Your computer dealer should be willing to get one that is comparable without overcharging you at all.  If not, walk out of the store.   

In addition it has been advertised by EAxis that Sims3 will play fine even on older laptops.  They are using the same engine that they built for their "Sims Stories" series, I think.  I bought Castaway because it looked like a fun, unique Sims2 game, and I was right. However, there is less depth to the textures and the game is equal to the Sims2 basegame.  Sims3 is advertising that they are "simplifying" the imagery which makes me think "lower graphic quality."  For that reason, I am holding out on Sims3. (I did the same with Sims2) for the first year.  I'll get my presents from Santa for Christmas 2009, if I see the game is inviting to free-site  CC creators.  If not, EA is losing a 10-year customer, and they'll get a personal letter so they know it.  No Sims games have been worth a dime without all you dedicated meshers, hackers, and modders who were more interested in building a fan community, than profiting from your talents. 

Any world created is a world alive. Nurture that world; cultivate it with imagination. Make it better than the world you live in. Then share it, and change your own world forever.
Ninja

:)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:14 am »

SecuROM. No CC. SecuROM. Shrek-like graphics. SecuROM. Not much new stuff added to the game. SecuROM. No universities, etc. SecuROM.

Oh, and did I mention SecuROM?

My signature is waaaaay better than your signature!
dreamcatchermwh

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »

Joowish is correct. I hope we can do something about the way they look like cabbage patch doll. LOL

Appreciation is a wonderful thing . It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.:grin:
Ninja

:)

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 08:30:42 am »

SecuROM. No CC. SecuROM. Shrek-like graphics. SecuROM. Not much new stuff added to the game. SecuROM. No universities, etc. SecuROM.

Oh, and did I mention SecuROM?

Oh, and the fact that we're PAYING for advertisements. And SecuROM.

My signature is waaaaay better than your signature!
fornax

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »

My expectations of TS2 are varied, and at the same time a little of what most fans have mentioned above.  But my biggest doubts are how reserved EA has been about the info they've put out.  TS3 is obviously not designed as a PC game from the ground up, it just doesn't look "PC" like the early shots of TS2 in 2004, and that becomes more believable after the recent announcement that PC and console versions are being released at the same time.  I keep thinking that EA wants to avoid the headache of so many users complaining about crashes and program features that stop working as a result of hacks and mods, so I wouldn't be surprised about a good loss of modding flexibility there.  I'm not looking at TS3 as a continuation of the Sims series, but rather as a continuation of EA's recent attitude to be more in control of everything they want us to buy, and I don't mean just their employment of SecuROM or whatever new method of making the game less enjoyable they're planning.  One important aspect of concern to me continues to be the fixed neighborhood, and not only fixed, but ONE neighborhood with a set layout of roads and elevation.  They've promised a 2nd neighborhood download upon registration of the game... if it will be available when the game ships, why not include it as well?  That sounds a bit fishy.  All in all, my current decision is NOT to buy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:44:14 pm by fornax » Logged
jordinary

tila tequila <3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:09 am »

i think it looks good screenshot wise but it sounds like EA is a little low on cash so they decided to pump out another piece of crap game. they never test any of their software and SecuROm has so many conflicts its not funny (although, even ONE conflict wouldnt be funny)

I will buy Sims 3 once Ive read reviews either here on MTS2

alice is love .:twilight:.
chahtah1899

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 05:07:57 am »

I am very much looking forward to the game, but after spending the better part of two years tweaking the sims2 to the adults only realism i have grown to enjoy, i am wondering how hard will it be to make them nude, seeing as EA Games is more worried about pissing off the hard right conservatives who believe nudity is a mark of the devil

son you've got a panty on yor head!- Raisin Arizona
tweeter

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 06:38:45 am »

As much as I love The Sims (I've been playing from the very first release of TSO) I'm holding back on TS3.  Mostly because of all the things that have been promised seem as though they'll take a big computer.  I can barely run TS2 (all EPs gigs of downloads) so I don't think I'll be able  to run TS3.  Besides, I'm still happy with TS2.

"Strange is just a different point of view"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: