Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 10:36:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloning a Custom Object, Creating New Texture Coordinates?  (Read 2349 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Destin

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:11:30 pm »

I have a custom object that I'd like to recolor. The problem is that the original texture coordinates on the main TXTR image is not detailed enough for my needs.

I've extracted the mesh by opening the creator's mesh file in Simpe and exporting as an .obj, then importing as a Wavefront .obj in Milkshape. This is from a tut I'm concerned is really outdated. I did NOT use the Object Workshop for this, and I haven't changed any of the original files in Simpe...I've just been playing around with the maps.

I was able to completely rebuild the texture coordinates for the main part of the vehicle. I haven't altered the mesh in any way.

I've searched high and low for a *current* tutorial about cloning a custom object so I can just replace the TXTR images (with new maps), but my search is coming up empty. So, if someone could point me to a current tut for that, I'd much appreciate it! I'd rather know the correct method to do this before I go any further, since I'm confused enough by all the outdated information out there.

I hope this all makes sense...thanks for any and all help! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:54:53 am by Destin » Logged

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:34:34 pm »

why you need to remap it?
because remapping is altering the mesh.

If the textures are crap you can use a higher resolution texture file if necesarry

Few things dont make sence Cheesy

But, you clone a vehicle with object workshop(within Simpe)
You start object workshop, open the mesh package and choose clone.
When done you change the Guid(object data editor) so it becomes a standalone object.
You now can do watever you want with it.

Maybe if you explain wat object you want to change, i might follow you a bit better.

No longer active
Destin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:36:39 pm »

There was just no way to get that level of detail with the original map. I'm not changing anything else on the mesh itself. Smiley The creator hasn't been around for 9 months either, otherwise I would just ask them.

Edit: Success, with a lot of trial and error and your help, thank you! It just shows as a recolor in the game catalog, perfect Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:56:12 am by Destin » Logged

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:46:43 pm »

if you are editing the textures on objects then never save the lot when checking your edits ingame.
Your edits will not be visible the next time you visit that lot to check your object unless you delete it and take a new one out of the catalog.
just a tip Wink

No longer active
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: