Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 01:05:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Appartment and Cars  (Read 4107 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
winema

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:43:39 pm »

Hi!
Hope someone please can help me with this issue. When I build new lots with garages and change them into appartmentbases the residents can't buy cars. Why is this?? Is there a bug in the game or am I missing something?
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:13 pm »

Do you have a driveway in them?

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
winema

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:02 pm »

of course I insert driveways! But still when I move in a family the can't buy cars... I get a message with "out of bound on everything outside... I can only place objects inside the appartment and on the back porch... Can't even place a dog house in the yard!
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:52 pm »

For apartments and garages to work together, the garage must be part of the apartment.  It must be attached.  It must be accessable from the apartment, and only the apartment (garage door doesn't count).

If you built your apartments with garages similar to the way houses are built, that is the driveway and garages up one side of the lot and the apartments in the center and other side, it won't work.

Unless you've used Numenor's invisible walls or fences in combination with regular fences to enclose the driveway, cars can only be placed in garages.  Driveways are considered to be in the common area.
winema

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »

I have to say one thing..... What an idiotic idea!! It ruins a lot of fun for those of us (who apparantly never learn that maxis have their own opinion on what's the only way to do things) who like to build realistic neighbourhoods.... In real life we have 2 and 4 appartments that looks like a regular house with garages on the side... Maybe not in the States... But I'm from Scandinavia, apparently we do things a bit different when i comes to building houses.... Grrrrr!
DarkAmaranth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:06:25 pm »

Place the cars before you move sims in, the sims will be able to change owner so that they own the cars and the cars will work just as if you bought them after moving in.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 03:20:51 pm »

Quote from: winema;1375144
I have to say one thing..... What an idiotic idea!! It ruins a lot of fun for those of us (who apparantly never learn that maxis have their own opinion on what's the only way to do things) who like to build realistic neighbourhoods.... In real life we have 2 and 4 appartments that looks like a regular house with garages on the side... Maybe not in the States... But I'm from Scandinavia, apparently we do things a bit different when i comes to building houses.... Grrrrr!

It's not that different in the States.  But these developers are where, in California.  That should say it all :smt120
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:57 pm »

Quote from: winema;1375144

They had to find a way to link the owner to the car, and this is how they did it.
Does make sence to me.
Maybe in Scandinavia its normal to drive in some one elses car when living in appartments Cheesy

No longer active
winema

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:31:22 pm »

Bloom: Hahaha.... :-P Why couldn't they just do it by have an option assign parking space to: and then choose the family which you play and live on this lot...... ugh!
K_O

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 06:45:56 pm »

I've tried placing cars and then moving a sim in, the cars disappear leaving a drive way. Which wrecks what could have been a yard. Maybe some smart modder will find a way to change the way this is set up until then, I'll just be thankful for the game and the mods and modders who make it better.
Ailias

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:00:33 am »

I got so that the garage should be linked with the appartment the garage platform should be on the same floor as the apartment door is.

K_O
You should use the cheat of the AL door - first use the Check out action, then click on the door with SHIFT and choose Rent furnished
You will see all the furnitures and car

NCeddie51Sim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 11:15:27 am »

Remember Maxis states there should be only ONE entrance to an apt. there may be private yard space but it must be completely enclosed by some type of fencing, as you have to use a door to get to it.  The point being that if you have any other doors besides the apt front door other sims will attempt to use it and it will mess up the lot.  Same for garages. I have built mine attached to side of apt with a door from kitchen into garage and it works fine.  Remember, visting sims will not use a garage door as an entry, so only the sim who lives in that apt will use the garage door to access the car.  If my sim is in the common yard area and I click on the car to tell him to go to a community lot, he will sometimes enter the garage through the garage door instead of going through the apt first-- no problem.  AL sees the garage as another "room" of the apt.  I can purchase a car after sim has moved in to the apt with no problem. Just remember to place all the appropriate driveway pieces while still building the apts as a residential zone. A bonus!  I build the garage wing with a flat roof accessable via a door on the second floor of apt and voila-- my sim has a nice private rooftop patio!  By making a little private yard in the back of apt (with completely enclosed fencing) your sim can buy gardening plots to use there.  Or if there is enough room on the lot you can attach a greenhouse to the apt for additional plants also.
Just remember that the main key is to never have but one entry door (the apt door).  Any other doors that lead outside or to garages must open to completely enclosed areas.  Since visiting sims do not regard a garage door as an entry door to apt or home it sort of is a barrier the same as fences and walls.

If you haven't got anything nice to say— come, sit by me!
.........................................................................—Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: