Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 04:34:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Wall/Floors packaged seperately  (Read 2415 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
cuddles

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:29:34 am »

I have a silly question that I have been dying to ask because I never understood the reasoning behind the method. So maybe if I understand the “why” it won’t bug me as much. That’s how my brain works, don’t ask. :happy8:

Ok so, when I download certain CC sets (ie. Houses, Living rooms etc) or individual files they will often be all compressed into a single .rar. But in that .rar file, if there are some walls/floors I will find them each packaged individually which forces me to click on each file to extract them separately, one at a time (I use the clean installer for this). Sometimes there can be up to 20 files too and it can take a long time when really if they were just included in the rar I could just move them all in one go.

I always wondered how come I see this so often. Is there another program aside clean installer that would allow me to extract all the .sims2pack files at once that I am not aware of?

Any tips here would be greatly appreciated. :angel:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:35:01 am by cuddles » Logged

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing slowly . . . very slowly - Gypsy Rose Lee
caitygrl456

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:47:18 am »

some people do put walls/floors in packages

jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:47:40 am »

Hi cuddles. Have you tried doing one without separately processing the package files? Sometimes you only have to do that if the zip file contains both .rar and package files. If it is in the .rar file, it might install as a part of Clean Installer, Sims2Pack, or WinRar processing. Worth a try anyway.
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:03 am »

Oh, I forgot to mention, packaging is a feature that comes with Sims2 and it is a part of the process of uploading a lot, orginally designed to upload to the Maxis Exchange, it is also the format used to upload to other web sites, such as this one and MTS2.
cuddles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:47:28 am »

Quote from: jamesabrown1;1385399
Hi cuddles. Have you tried doing one without separately processing the package files? Sometimes you only have to do that if the zip file contains both .rar and package files. If it is in the .rar file, it might install as a part of Clean Installer, Sims2Pack, or WinRar processing. Worth a try anyway.

Hrm, ok well I know I usually just use the "extract here" feature of RAR and then sort/move through the files myself (I don't really like programs that "install" files for me just because i'm really anal about where they all go) and that is usually when I will find all the walls packaged seperately.

Thanks for you help anyways everyone, I guess I will just have to accept things the way they are. :rabbit:

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing slowly . . . very slowly - Gypsy Rose Lee
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:41:22 pm »

You can save a little bit of time by using an extraction program that will extract multiple zip and/or rar programs all with just one click instead of having to extract them one at a time, such as 7-zip.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Just highlight all the files to be simultaneously extracted and choose Extract Files to browse to a path to here you wnat them or else Extract Here to extract them to the same folder the compressed files are in.

As for Clean Installer, by unchecking the default in the installation options box, you can choose any place you want to have the files installed.
cuddles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:49:51 pm »

Yes I already have those options with WinRAR for extracting multipe compressed files at a time.
And I know with clean installer that you can uncheck the default location and browse... my question was is there a way to speed up extracting the clean installer files instead of doing them all individually.

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »

What I do with my package files is, I select all, then extract them to my downloads folder then adjust my folder to date modified. I look at the time. This way i know exactly what files were exported.

Then I just cut and paste them to the right folders.

This is using winzip/winrar.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: