Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 05:05:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Idea for a Custom Content Contest.  (Read 1610 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
CB2001

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:47:07 am »

As I have done before with my ideas for the "Sim Custom Skin Advisor" and the "Gun Pose Hack/Object", I have another idea for something Sim related.  Now, I'm not trying to say we should, but this is only an idea and just thought about getting it out of my head.

As a part of my DVD Collection, I have a movie called "Somewhere in Time".  Currently, I'm reading the novel of the same name that the film was based on (Note: The original novel was titled "Bid Time Return") by Richard Matheson (known for many classic shorts such as "Duel", "Steel", "Terror at 10,000 Feet" and "Little Girl Lost", as well as classic novels such as "I Am Legend").  The premise of both the novel and the film is that a writer name Richard Collier falls in love with an American actress name Elise McKenna.  The drawback of this romance is this: Elise McKenna is dead, and Richard fell in love with her after finding her portrait in a "Hall of History" in a hotel he is staying in.  Becoming obsessed with her, he discovers a way that he can be with her: through the use of self-hypnosis, he is able to travel back in time to be able to meet and fall in love with her.  I know, it sounds cheesy, but it's a good movie and, so far from reading, and excellent book.

Anyways, I got to thinking about this, and I had thought about posting it as a "Somewhere in Time" competition, challenging custom content creators to make items and Sims of the characters from both the book and the film.  But there is a twist, which I will reveal in a moment.  I decided not to go with that kind of theme, and decided to make it something more open.

In the book, the entire story takes place at the Hotel del Coronado in San Deigo, California and in two seperate periods of time (1896 and 1975), in the movie its set at the Grand Hotel, also in two periods (1912 and 1979).  The reason why the Hotel del Coronado wasn't used in the film was because the director and production designer found it impossible to film there due to all the modern changes made to the hotel.  So, this got me thinking and here is what I am suggestion:

"Then and Now - A Classic/Modern Sim Content Contest"
Premise (and here's the twist): Make two different items (outfits, objects or lots) that reflect two seperate periods of time, but hold a similar, yet different design, almost as if one was like something out of the "good old days" and the other looking like an updated version of it.
For example:
Let's say you make a lot of a building, and you went with an 1930s Art-Deco design, filled it with objects of the 1930s.  For your modern lot, it should hold the same design as much as possible but updated (like how some buildings of the past retain their original appearance, but much of the inside or a little bit of the outside is changed) and filled with objects from now (or another period of time of your choosing, as long as its after the previous timeframe design, at least a 15 year difference.

Of course, you can use real world examples, but nothing that's really obvious that everyone knows that's its a reworking (i.e. the 1965 and the 2005 Ford Mustang).

Anyways, just an idea.  Don't know if anyone would go for it.  But if anyone ever wants to use it, by all means, don't be afraid to use it.  If it's already been done, than I apologize for bothing you and this would serve as a reminder to use the search option again.  Thank you for your time.   cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: