Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:14:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you choose your custom content???  (Read 6306 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
leandor

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:24:49 pm »

I used to grab everything I liked, then I noticed my downloads folder was getting scarily big so I decided I would only download things I absolutely adored and couldn't live without, then went through my downloads folder and deleted anything I didn't like as much or ad a dodgy mesh shape or whatever. And my downloads folder is still rising. I now can't actually run the game because it's just too high but I can't bear to get rid of the stuff I love so much. Arrrrgh! It's like some immensely complex strategy game in it's own right.:smt120
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »

I choose my Custom Content by how versatile it is.

I look for a mesh and as many different recolors I can find.

I went through six or seven different kitchen sets before I found one I liked.

Every room in my houses has the same thing almost, but different colors.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:06 pm »

My computer can't take much CC, so I usually try to think things through before downloading, you know - thinking "do I really need this?" before downloading, or not downloading. I've gotten better at this recently, but to be honest, I could've been even better too. I've got more clothes and hair than furniture, because with a few maxis recolors and with a few new sets, wallpapers and some clutter, you can do wonders with interiour. then it's much better to have more sims options to choose from.

I also put (almost) everything in separate folders, so that if I want to remove anything, I just have to look through the pictures in the folder, and remove those I don't need to somewhere else on my computer, ready to put in again should I need it. it's good to have this opportunity, because I've got downloads I only use for certain purposes, like storytelling.

I also have to avoid downloading houses heavy on CC, or really houses in general (the ones with little or no CC usually works fine, though). They have a bad tendency to go really slow on me, even though other houses I've CC-ed heavily myself usually works faster. I hate that, because I'm not exactly the best at making houses myself... I don't download many simmies either, and I only keep those that I can either use as bases for my own simmies (I mostly only need simmies that makes cute children Cheesy), or use as bases on background simmies for storytelling.

and if you choose a few selected meshes that has got a lot of recolors, that's the best way to go.

before I figured out that I could actually put things in folders, I had well over 10.000 files in the downloads folder. unsorted. a lot were parts of simmies I never used, and at least half were clothes or hairs. the rest, I have no clue what was... I actually once tried to sort it all through - but I gave up after the first 1000 files, I think. I re-downloaded things I needed instead of trying to find it all in the mess I'd created...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:36:54 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
cuddles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:52:39 am »

There is so much beautiful items but there is also lots of crap. My rule is, unless it is “perfect” to my taste, it doesn’t get downloaded or if I find an issue with it in game it gets deleted too. So when I look at new items to download, I look for quality. For example, I am really tired of all the clothing that gets created that looks 2D, with all the amazing clothing that does gets created I don’t have any time to waste with that. I bookmark sites and creators that I know have good quality downloads, that I know pay attention to details etc. I rather have a few excellent quality sets than LOTS of semi perfect ones. Ya gotta be ruthless…

I have a little system to share though for weeding out items after I have downloaded them to try in game. I have a subfolder called “NEW”. This is where I place things I have recently downloaded and haven’t seen in game yet. Once I have played/seen them in game and know that I want to keep them, I will then move the item out of the NEW subfolder and categorize it within my other subfolders. Of course, if I decide I don’t want to keep it then I simply delete it. This forces me to go back after playing with a new dld and give myself another chance of deleting items that just didn’t live up to my expectations.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing slowly . . . very slowly - Gypsy Rose Lee
Natasha_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:00:44 pm »

Don't choose between the stuff you like, go to DJS and get the compressorizer. Here's the link; http://www.djssims.com/index.php?category=1&subcat=5

leandor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:57 pm »

I have the compressorizer but even compressorized it's still about 7 or 8 gig of stuff, I HAVE to get rid of some.

Lynzi
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 05:06:29 am »

last night, I discovered that if I have over 6GB of DL's and don't have at least 20 GB left on the hard drive, my game will start, let me load the entire thing, let me load the family I use - and then complain about lack of memory, and the screen goes black.

*cries*

I had 16 GB of harddrive when I tried. Now I've got 22GB. it'll be exciting to see whether my game want to work today...

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
winterglow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:50:04 am »

OT:
oh poor theraven T_T
I've got an idea ok it's stupid but sometimes I do it:
there's stuff in my folder that I use only during particular situarion so I gather them in a special subfolder and move it on desktop when I don't use them ^^

----------------------------

IT: I choose my CC in according to my needs about my stories like a shopping list
it's rare having things that I don't know how to use in game
for that reason I can't clean out my folder
my CC is categorized for site except the "special mobile folder"
I have few hacks ( only for exposure photos and to make objects  diagonal )  

things that I won't download in my life:
complete neighbrhood
complete buildings

things that I would like downloading (text? scriptorium?? aargh! I'm confused!)
modular stairs
fireplaces
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:55:14 am by winterglow » Logged

Koji Tamaki \(^o^)/
Yong Yun Bae  \(*O*)/
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:39 am »

Anytime I think about downloading clothes, I'll look to see what the site has for men's clothing first.  If I don't like it, I won't even look at the women's clothing and move on to the next site.  I've managed to avoid downloading tons of women's clothes that end up never being used Tongue

I've run into so many oversized meshes for custom furniture that I won't even look at it.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:15:07 am »

I don't download clothes-the files are usually huge, and I don't use them very often.
I've given up downloading any houses, even ones that I can use (I have only NL for an EP, so that is very limiting) because most of them are loaded with crap that won't work on my computer even with the Clean Installer.
That makes it just very attractive walls, floors or mods.
Then if I want to save them, I put them on another drive, not to clutter up my working game or drive. I do use the compressorizer, and it does a good job, as well as the Download organizer.
But there is a lot of junk out there.
Of course I've downloaded tons of stuff for a themed neighborhood just recently..but it's all in storage for when I really will use it.
Never hurts to get the things you really want-but you gotta be careful when using it.

leandor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:01 pm »

The Raven, I can sympathise, that's what happened to me. Hence the need to trim my downloads file Cheesy I used to download houses but I don't now, unless I need something specific.

I have tried going through my files and being ruthless, now I'm going to be downright strict with myself!
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 06:45:23 pm »

I do have a folder outside the DL folder where I put things I don't use "now", but need for later - like when I'm doing storytelling or infant outfit/hack testing, and don't need everything in the DL folder right there and then.

When testing, I only have hacks and default skin overrides and such, and maybe a few other downloads or test subjects. Then, my game loads in maybe 5 minutes - if I'm lucky... imagine going in and out of the game testing outfits when it takes between 20 and 30 minutes to go in, take picture (or pictures if some more needs to be done with the outfit), and go out again. Just for one outfit. I just can't have all those downloads there then... (oh, and I still need LOADS of patience...)

My site:

brooke_82

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 07:15:43 am »

I only go looking for specific items, like if Im making a sim I will look for the CC for that sim. I generally dont just download stuff for no reason so that helps me keep it down a little. I also categorise things so if i need to delete something to make room for more I know what needs to go first if its something I wont use.

Come check out [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Treehouse![/COLOR] A brand new Sims 2 site!
HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 07:38:37 am »

theraven - to properly feed your sim addiction, you should buy a new HD  lol

I look at shapes, the rounder and more smoothed they are, the higher the poly.  That puts extra strain on your video resources.  I stick to good quality low poly stuff.  So sites that don't list poly counts don't get bookmarked.

I currently have 3 different sets of skintones Cheesy that I cannot bear to remove.  And I have a huge problem with curtains and small tabletop plants.

leandor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

Quote from: HugeLunatic;1415416
theraven - to properly feed your sim addiction, you should buy a new HD  lol

My husband is buying me an external drive for Christmas, just for my sims!
:oops:
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: